Author Topic: Louth Club Football and Hurling  (Read 137614 times)

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
Re: Louth Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 10:35:14 AM »
Yeah intermediate championship but should they stay up in Division 1 they will be playing what is regarded as the senior league.

MidLouth, I presume you were at the Cooley / Brides game? Any opinions?
Personally I was shocked at how bad the Brides were apart from the first twenty minutes. They looked as they could have beaten Cooley in the early stages but Cooley's class began to show. I thought Conor and A. McGuinness, Patrick Sheelan, B. White and McDonald had good games as well as Hughes who stepped up to the plate in the absence of Sean O'Neill. It really put us under a  lot of pressure tonight!

I recall you saying earlier that Pats only seem motivated to beat Cooley, well if we do that bow I'd be a very happy man!!

What was the score, we left with about ten to go, too depressig watching Cooley hockey someone!! 3-11 to 1-6??
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
ah what a great day to be a Pats man!! Feels great after last nites performance, the buzz about the place was great and the lads really done us proud. Great game of football, played at a serious pace and was a much higher standard than the previous nites game. As for Paddy, what more can he do?? Unless he scores 5 points from midfield people will say he didnt play great. Sure himself and Paudie lorded it at midfield. its good to see that the rest of the team is beginning to stand up and not try to leave everything to PK.

As for the final there will be some sh!te talk the next two weeks but sure thats all part of it!! Let it roll!

5ive Times, you a Gers man or whats your connection? you follow much Louth football?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
While I definitely have no problem with the do for the men of '57 but is it just me or is there some celebration or other nearly every year for this team??
I have the utmost respect for them and fair play but was there not somethin similar run over the last couple of years?

Any word on where the final is to be played? With Pats and Cooley in the senior and the Gers and Young Irelands in the minor I presume it will be at a north Louth venue. Personally I hope its in Dowdallshill, always great atmosphere there for the Pats/Cooley games.

What would be the view on the minor? I wouldnt have followed any of the minor football but by all reports both teams appear to have a few handy footballers

I have a feeling for Cooley though.

5ive Times we could have a falling out with talk like that!!  :D

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
On 57 - they already had a night for them earlier in the year, it was in the Fairways the night before the Joes do.

On the minors - You might have a point midlouth, was at the Joes /Y Irelands semi and I am told that the Irelands have 5 palyers that were on the louth minors and the Joes have none!! makes no sense to me and we have Pat mulligan involved with our minors!

On the final - there has been an amazing bias for stupidly late throw in times to championship games this year and an even more amazing bias towards northern venues (eg. Joes v Martins in the Clans-riddle me that one) So the venue can only be the Clans or Dowdalshill and expect a throw in time that means the game will finish at twilight.

On the Pats/Mattock - The Pats didn't do much wrong on Sunday (apart from Karl White, who stood out as a man who was having a bad game) Was very impressed with Damian Connor more so than Sean, Mattock had to bring David Brennan back to mark him and this still didn't stop him scoring about 1-3 on him in the second half. The two lads back from the states didn't make the impact that Mattock would have been hoping for, thoought Brennan was poor, with Reid doing a bit better. Best of luck to ye in the final pedro, not sure if I'll go myself (after the 2-0 to 0-5 game a couple of years ago a swore I'd never go to a peninsula game again!)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »
Ah didn't know that about the 57 night. They also had a reception in Croker before the Wicklow game, they deserve them all, its good that Dermot was able to attend the other two functions

I didn't realise that about the minors, amazing that clubs of that size, population and success are not contributing to the minor panel. Sounds like a bad set up alright.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »
With it being Cooley and the Pats you would expect the game to be played in Dowdallshill. They can all go on the batter after the game and knock lumps out of each other in town before getting a taxi home. A1 are the only taxi company in town that will take the Cooley boys home, so you`ll all probably end up sharing a bus.

Ah 5ive times i dont think its just that bad in all fairness!! Granted there has been a lot of bad blood in the past and a lot of the players wouldnt see eye to eye but it definitely is not as bad as some people make it out to be.  Sure over the course of last years semi's (3 games) there was no real badness to the games even thought they were dour affairs. There was none of the messing that went on in the Cooley/Blues game this year for example.

On the minor team, I know the selection system may not be perfect but in fairness to this years management there was no minors from Pats or Cooley that would have been good enough. Just because we are big clubs do not mean we have the best players in that age group. MidLouth you have shown the clubs the minors were selected from. The Gers have five and the YI have four. As these two teams are in the final would this not mean they are among the best players in Louth?? We can all go and give out about the selection but we'd be better off lending a hand at coaching the youngsters (myself included - our underage system wouldnt exactly be great but as I don't volunteer myself I can't give out about the people who do)

Best of luck to ye in the final pedro, not sure if I'll go myself (after the 2-0 to 0-5 game a couple of years ago a swore I'd never go to a peninsula game again!)

Thanks LE, I think many people would have said that after thaty game but if we get the same result we'll be happy enough!!

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »
I think that is a fair point on the minors, Joes made the semis and not one lad on the panel!! Peter Brennan kicked 6 points last Sunday, four of them from play has made it onto the Senior team (can't say that for too much longer :'() Nial Henry made his championship debut this year and had a good game against no less a player than Hugh Mc Ginn and then there is Dara Smyth (Cian's younger brother) One of these would have been worthy to make the panel.

Yeah, Charlie made the announcment in the dressing rooms after the game on Thursday. He kinda felt that he has been struggling since the injury earlier in the year, he just hasn't been right this year and felt it was time. He has been a great servant to club (s) and county.

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 10:29:16 PM »
well they're fair points lads, maybe i'm just seein it from a different angle because i know there's no players from our club up to that level.

Sad to see Farrelly play his last championship game in what was a loss in relegation but it was forthcoming, a pity because, barring injuries, he would still offer a lot to club and county.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Cooley are appealing to Leinster Council in order to get Sean O'Neills red card rescinded?? I hear they caused war at the county board meetin the other night about it?? Obviously I would hate to see him getting it but if it was one of our players and there was some sort of loophole to get him off I'm sure we'd go down the same road.

I see in the paper there was trials matches for Louth '08 tonight. Any word on these? Who was asked etc.?

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
Cooley should take their medicine!! Typical

I have to say, I think it is wild early to be planning for next year, even if it is just looking at fringe players.

Just something I was wondering on the way into work this morning, which club has been the longest in the Senior grade?? I figure it has to be either Cooley, Blues or Marys. Any ideas lads?

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »
i know by right Cooley should accept the punishment but in fairness this is one area which the GAA as a whole needs to tighten up on. There have been too many high profile cases of players getting suspensions overturned which only serves to permeate down to club level. If it was our club and say Paddy K or Colin Goss was out I'm pretty sure they would look into getting them off. It may not be right but most clubs will do it. I imagine the Mary's would do it if it was Darren Clarke, same with the Joes with Ollie Mc.

Longest club senior?? I'm sure it has to be between the Blues and Cooley but thats only cuz they have the most history.

LE it does seem to be early to be starting for next year but maybe the work has to be done behind the scenes to try and find a few players that could get us to the next level. I still don't know who they are or where they come from though.

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »
If I get what you two are saying... you can foget about it ML, sure he'd have to go to the Joes if he was moving  :D

Anyway, I'm a fan of Eamonn Mc myself but I do believe he definitely had them back too early last year and you could see it in their performances in the championship when they looked like a tired team at times. It was good that they got a second wind in the qualifiers. I think part of problem here was that we were actually play Div 1 and he wanted to hit the ground running!

I know Melia is a fantastic trainer and he certainly was a big part in working the oracle in my own club last year. But I do know that he put the county lads through some heavy sessions in between games this year! Which didn't seem to make sense, but I believe that is what the manager wanted.

He has my vote of confidence, as pointed out, you are always going to get as already pointed out eg. Big Joe. Before this year there were plenty in Monaghan moaning about the Banty!! What do they think now

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
Pedro, I think that it is time that you got an avatar, I say this cause I found a good one for you  :D :D

http://www.thepats.ie/images/Social/final06/final22.jpg

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
I couldn't understand why he was doing those training sessions, it beggared belief. Obviously Melia was acting under instruction, but it wasn't right for the time of the year.

No doubt about it

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »
Should have said next year may be his last. I think he has gone as far as he can with this panel.
By the way this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of anyone else, if you know what I mean.

I think thats a bit harsh 5ive times, you said earlier that Louth had a dire year but they still were a kick of a ball away from beating Cork, I reckon we would beat Sligo and then played Meath in a semi final. Thats hardly A dire year. However, I do think something went amiss during the league this year. We started off brilliantly and then stumbled through the rest of it. Whether this was down to the training the lads were doin i don't know.
I really think the Louth fans are unreal fickle. I mean, what had we got before we had eamonn? We were in the BOTTOM 3 in Ireland. Although we are in Div. 3 next year we stiull made it to the last twelve and we know we can compete with some of the bigger teams in Ireland. At this stage what more can Eamonn do? We are progressing but unless we win te All-Ireland people are gonna complain no matter who is the manager.

Pedro, I think that it is time that you got an avatar, I say this cause I found a good one for you  :D :D

http://www.thepats.ie/images/Social/final06/final22.jpg

Classic!! This photo actually surfaced recently in the dressing rooms, I'm sure Goss came in for plenty of abuse. Sayin that I wouldnt mess with him when he is in that sort of mood!

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 11:55:23 PM »
I have a couple of classic pictures of Goss and D Connor all decked out in Joes colours  :D I'd post them up on the thread if only I could work out how to do it!