Author Topic: Louth Club Football and Hurling  (Read 137618 times)

Louth Exile

• View Profile
Re: Louth Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:05:52 PM »
Do you remember the qualifier game in Drogheda (I think it was Antrim) where Nicky Mc D was playing a great game, Andrews took him off and most of us in the crowd jeered this decision. Andrews looked around as if to saw "What did I do", complete rabbit in the headlights look on him. What happened later on.. He brings Nicky back in. The man was a joke.

Ha, I remember that! I actually thought it was Roscommon but that was an absolute joke.. Some of the stories  used to hear from our county men were just unbelievable, I mean our club had a better set up at the time!

How are all the Joes' lads injuries?? There was some bad one wasn't there especially to Smyth and Yore, if I'm right??

Predictions for the weekend
Blues vs Cooley - I'd slightly favour Cooley (begrudgingly of course), I think they will be very cynical to young Judge who is playing some stuff and that will limit the Blues scoring ability.
Mattock vs Malachi's - Its hard to look past Collon but Malachi's could cause problems, what they lack in ability, they make up for with sheer hard work.
Glyde vs O'mahoneys - I would think Glyde should come through this relatively handy with a belief that they are better than they have shown all year.
[/quote]

You could well be right about it being the Roscommon game, wasn't sure which one it was. My enduring memory from the Roscommon game was that free at the end!!! What a laugh

Re: the injuries - Mossy Smyth is still hobbling around and I haven't been talkin to Tommy Yore in about a month but I know he is not back training yet. Brendan O'Donoghue returned from injury against Mattock and played the full game but still doesn't look fully right

Predictions:
Blues v Cooley - I'd have to go with the Blues, Judge was devasting against the Joes, if he gets some decent protection from the Ref they will go well.
Mattock v Mals - pretty much agree with your sentiments
Glyde v O'Mahonys - don't think there will be that much in it, but yes Glyde (hopefully)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
Dammit! All of us over at the club tonight were hoping they's still be in the states should they win! Would definitely make our passage a lot easier!!

Lads, any thoughts on the standard of refereein in the county this year?? From a Pats point of view I thought the standard in our last two games was absolutely dreadful. Obviously I'll have a biased view but all of us felt that the referees were clearly against us in the two games (Glyde and Kilkerley). Now, I'm not saying for one minute that it affected the way we have played or the results (our brutal performance against the Glyde was completely down to ourselves) but are we getting penalised beacuse we're a bigger club or because we're favourites for many games?? I dunno, but just a thought
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Armagh Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
Could anyone give me directions to Rassan GFC pitch?
I will be coming from Armagh and have been told that I should go via Crossmaglen but could someone give me directions from Crossmaglen to Rassan.

Armagh Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »
Not sure Mid, but Donaghmoyne (Monaghan) are playing at Rassan this weekend.  Would it be Roche Emmetts pitch?

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
Was at the Glyde / O'Mahonys game on Thursday night. The first half was very poor with Glyde only playing for the last five minutes of the half, they probably should have went in more than five points down given how poorly they played. Both teams had goal chances missed, Glyde blasting over the bar with an open goal and O'Mahony's hitting the cross bar. The turning point was early in the second half, off the ball incident and the Glyde centre half floored one of the O'Mahony's mid fielders, this got Glyde going (as you would expect with their type!!) They scored 1-3 without reply and when three points up were looking good until similar to Sunday O'Mahonys got a penalty on the edge of the square. Same as Sunday chucka dispatched well to the bottom corner. And when O'Brien pointed a free from over 50 yards out the momentum swung back in their favour. It was the second Glyde goal that won it for them.

Joes won't be too dissapointed, Glyde have a habit of dragging teams into their cynical way of playing football and with respect to the Sean's would rather face the town team.

Trevor O'Brien scored a great goal early in the 2nd half, from a very simple move straight down the midle that should have been defended better and when Glyde moved Gerard Sheerin from the forty to corner forward at half time he woke up and had a great game.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
MidLouth, was at the Cooley Blues game myself, I thought it was going to spark off at one stage in the second half when Nally appeared to have got floored by McDonald, I was sure he was gonna get the gate for that. With C. Judge running from the sideline he could be in trouble. I was surprised no further action was taken on David Hughes, he came running from thirty yards to get a skelp at Judgy.

O'Neill will be a huge loss to Cooley. What happened there?? I heard people saying that Philiips and O'Neill were hashly done by but from what i seen they deserved it.

Overall, it was a poor game and the Brides will definitely fancy there chances in the semi.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »
Was at the Mals/Collon game myself MidLouth and I have to say that neither team impressed at all. Although it was a hugely entertaining game, the standard seemed to be very poor, somethinkg i did not expect with Collon playing. The Mals will be kicking themselves as they had the winning of the game but just couldn't do enough to get over the finish line. We all were hoping that the penalty would go in as we would definitely fancy ou chances against the Mals in the semi.

The upcoming game against Collon in the semi is a tough one to call. Collon looked very flat tonight and the Mals opened them up at times when they had men running on the overlap. However, with the two boys back (and I imagine they will play most, if not all of the game) they will have a whole new dimension to their play. While the Pats are very strong in defence and midfield, our forwards wouldn't be the best. On the other hand, Collon probably have the best set of forward left in the championship but I think their defence is poor. David Brennan and R. Sherlock (who loooked heavy) were both skinned tonight. Very tough one to call, I'd say a point or two in it.

The more I think about it, the more I start to fear the Brides. I feel they will beat Cooley as they can mix it with them and with Hoey in the form he's in, they will take some beating.

Oh and what do you make of the refereeing tonight MidLouth?? It was absolutely laughable!! McKenna didnt favour either team but some of his decisions were just baffling, the whole crowd where I was standing were laughing at a lot of them, you would think we were at a comedy festival!!

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 11:51:25 PM »
With the Brides you need to rack up a good lead fast else you will be in trouble. They are a hard bet team, and no one ever seems to beat them by much even though they would not have many good footballers.

Thats one thing I really like about the Brides, they dont have the best players around but they get the best out of what they have and don't do any whinging anout it.  They hit, get hit and play on.

What is the story with Goss? Is he fit? Next week will depend on Paddy Keenan. While the Pats are far from a one man show, Keenan is a class act with the ability to win games by himself.

Well goss, being goss, is as fit as we would like and he has been relatively injury free all year so we're happy enough with him. On the other hand, PK is a worry. He still has a groin injury and hasn't trained since we played Glyde in a league match about 3-4 weeks ago. To win the championship we definitely need him at full tilt.

As for McKenna, no different from last year. To think he is on the inter county circuit is unreal. So many mistakes. What did you make of the two men tackles?

He's on the inter-county circuit!!? that is a joke!! The two men tackles were a joke, fair enough if a lad gets hit let the play go on, or if there is a bit of rough play let them get on with it but the amount of times a player was surrounded by two (sometimes three) players and getting fouled only to get blown up for overcarrying was ridiculous, I'd say it could have been into double figures!!

Louth Exile, what do you make of the Joes chances against the Sean O'Mahoneys?? It would be some fall for grace for the club after last years heroics if they go down. Has this ever happened before??

Also lads, while at the Cooley/Blues game listening to the Blues and other neutrals giving out about Cooley (particularly their roughhouse tactics on Judge) got me thinking... Who are the most hated club in the county??

Obviously being biased I am going to say Cooley but I would nearly have the Glyde up there as well. There always seems to be a bit of a scuffle in all their games and the crying and whinging they do to the ref and each other would sicken ya!! Having said that, I know there are a few clubs who wouldn't be the best of friends with the Pats either!!

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
1. Joes relegation situation:
I am not aware of it happening before, I'd imagine there should be some reference to it in either Argus or Democrat tomorrow as to whether this might be a first or not! With all due respect to the O'Mahonys, if the Joes can't beat them they don't deserve to be senior and this is common sentiment around the parish. A bit of history for ye lads...
1984- Joes made their first SFC final against the Fechins after being promoted the previous year, they lose the final and finish bottom of the league, going back down to intermediate until they won the championship in 1990.
1994 - lose the SFC final after a replay by two points to the Parnells. Having thought they were safe in the league, field a weakend team against Roche, all goes wrong from there on in and end up in a three way relegation playoff, getting the short straw the other two teams get two chances to avoid relegation, when Roche lose this first game they end up playing the Joes for the relegation spot. I'll never forget the game, it was in the clans on a dark Saturday afternoon, losing by two points with time pretty much up Ollie hoisted one in from 50 yards out, Alan O'Connor leapt into the air at the edge of the square and the 'hand of god' buried it to the net and kept us safe. I'll never forget that feeling, at time I thought it was better than sex (but I was a young fella, maybe I was just doing it wrong!)
This year and last... you know that story yourselves.

Championship finals and relegation have seemed to go hand in hand with the Joes!! It was always said that we were a championship team and with the current championship format have five group games... you know the rest. Maybe we have a certain arrogance that we are too good for the drop? What do you think lads, I'd be interested in your thoughts?

2. Most hated team in the county?
Everyone is going to have Cooley up their, but on a personal note it would be Glyde No.1 The darver lads in the parish and particularly the ones from around Duffy's cross can't stand them. Last thursday confirmed to me how bad their supporters are, because I wasn't doing any cheering at the game I could listen to just how putrid the S**te that comes out of their mouths is. Its only recently that I realised that there is a fair amount of ill will towards them around the county.

Because of our poor record against them in the championship we would not have been sorry to see the Parnells going down. In 13 most recent championship meetings the only win we have against them is the 1996 final!! Whereas we never appreciated their more physical brand of football and if it had not been for them we certainly would have won more in the 90's and the fact that they are a neighbouring parish... we actually wouldn't have much bad blood. Joes and Parnell boys would get on very well off the field.

We would have no ill feelings towards to either the Pats or Marys. The only thing I would have against the Marys is that you beat us in the 1995 semi final and delayed my holiday into the bargain! The Joes and Pats I think are quiet similar clubs, both have only 2 championships and have met each other in a couple of championship finals. I will be at the game on Sunday and will probably go for the Pats because I think you probably deserve it more than Mattock at the moment.

(that reminds me, there used to be some fierce fights with the Joes and mattock in the early to mid eighties, but that is all history now and there'd be no problem between the clubs)

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
Out of interest how would my own club be seen by other senior clubs? Personally I think we are under achievers consider some of the talent that we have produced over the last decade or so, but that may not be what other clubs think.

I know most Pats people would have no problems with the Mary's crowd. They are a tough team to play against and are usually very physical but that is no bad thing as far as i am concerned. I suppose it would be felt that the mary's are underachievers based mainly on the fact that they have a lot of history and they have a big pick. when it comes down to the crunch though, the Mary's teams always seem to be found wanting, they don't seem to have that drive to really win the championship despite the quality of players they have. (This was a critcism often levelled at the Pats but thankfully we have got rid of that tag in recent years.!!)

Thats a great story about the Joes in '94 LE, I love the way the GAA has a way of ingraining memories into your mind. It's kind of like Shane Hynes' goal in the drawn final in 2003 (MidLouth will hate me talking about this one!!). Down by three points in injury time, Ray Finnegan pulls a lovely hop dummy and passes to Shane who buries the ball into the top corner via a slight deflection. One of those moments when time stands still and makes the hair stand on the back of your neck!! I wouldn't mind but Shane would be the last man you'd want with the ball in that situation, I don't think he scored a goal for the Pats after that!!

Maybe we have a certain arrogance that we are too good for the drop? What do you think lads, I'd be interested in your thoughts?

Well my own opinion of the Joes would be that, despite them having good players you'd always be happy drawing them in the championship (maybe we were too happy before last years final!). Well the Joes should feel that they are too good to get relegated. If they feel that they should be in Intermediate then there is a problem. I think they will have it tough against the O'Mahoneys though. Maybe the players poor attitudes - plus the injuries - will come back and haunt them in the end if they do go down. I'd imagine the likes of Ollie Mc and Skid will quit after this year? It would be sad to leave it on that note.

While I won't be shouting for anyone in particular for the rest of the championship I would hope Collon don't manage it. Other than that I don't really mind, even if Cooley win it.

You'd like to see Cooley winning the championship more than Collon!??  :o
Why is this? Of all the teams I'd like to see winning it, I would go for Mattock. Good team to watch, never any trouble with them and they definitely seem to enjoy themselvs when they win which I particularly like!! Is there bad blood between you's?

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 10:46:55 PM »
That is a hell of one Mid Louth alright, not too many would say that they wouldn't mind Cooley winning!

I thought the word would be out there about Ollie, you are right about 12 months in China, unfortunately he had to go the Thursday before the Mattock game! No doubt he is a massive loss, he is only 32 but has had to mind the beef string for the last couple of years. Despite having to mind himself I think the stats showed that he was on the ball more than any other player in last years final! The blues game was probably his last ever game and it was a good one. Skid is still moving well and we might get another year out of him, I'd have him on the forty tommorow night, it would give John O'Brien plenty to think about!

What are relations like between the Marys and the neighbouring junior sides? There is normally plenty of action there during the transfers.

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »
You are right about the Seans, you didn't mention the Westerns. No particular reason for asking the question, you are in a bit of a unique situation where you are the only team in the town and naturally enough a long established strong senior side. I figured it as being natural enough that you would have guys heading off to near by junior sides for the reasons you mentioned, or if there just weren't getting their game.

Charlie has been struggling this year, but put in a very good performance against Collon, it was badly needed. Christy and Charlie weren't on each other and both had good games.

One of ye asked about Tommy Yore in a previous post, just told today that he needs surgery on his knee, gone for at least 18 months I'm told. Big pity, I've a lot of time for Tommy and I know he'll proabably feel left out on the sidelines.

Hopefully this time tommorow night I'll be celebrating missing the chop, told the training went well last night and one of the boys sat it out, but apart from that alls good.

Just checked the odds on Ladbrokes for the weekend...
Pats 1/3 (you'd want to be lumping on make your money there Pedro)
Mattock 13/5 (big odds for mattock, but still couldn't back them)

Brides 8/13
Cooley 8/5 (get the money on midlouth  ;D)

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 10:38:55 PM »
Pats at 3/1  :o I remember the last time we were at those odds and we flopped big time (along with losing a wad of cash!)
I would have us at slight favourites but no way that strong!

As far as i know about Charlie, he has had serious trouble with injuries and although he has been a fantastic servant to Louth (i don't think we have replaced him in the middle either) he really struggled to make an impact in many games this year. Would be very sorry to see him go as he is a nice lad and always gave everything for the cause. I particularly remember his run up the line last year against Tyrone, getting tackled by two men and still beating them, crossing the ball to Stanfield who pointed.
This was just after Tyrone got the two goals. Just showed the sort of never-say-die attitude he has

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
GUTTED  :'( :'(
Sean O'Mahonys - 0-12, St Josephs - 0-9
Not able to say any more than that

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 07:18:17 PM »
Right lets not get carried away with the whole "great servant" thing, it is not so long ago that Charlie made himself unavailable to the last Louth boss.

Well in fairness he wasnt the only player to do that and i wouldnt blame him for not wanting to play for that cowboy!!

Yeah I like the pic MidLouth, I recall seeing it somewhere and PK being named as Brian White. being a Pats man I'm sure he liked that   ;D>:(

Louth Exile, what happened?? I was sure the Joes could pull it off when the goin really got tough but obvious;y not.

As for JP, I would say that he has most certainly played his last game in the county colours, its sad that he left it on such a low note. I'm sure he'll regret the way it happened if his intercounty is finished.