Author Topic: Louth Club Football and Hurling  (Read 137615 times)

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
Louth Club Football and Hurling
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
Right, I know there are not too many Louth men on this site but sure I'll start a thread anyway seeing as we're in the height of the club championship season.

First of all, I've been meaning to get this off my chest  for the last few years. Why do the county board insist on playin club championship matches so late on Saturday and Sunday evenings? I mean having the first game of the double header at 6.30pm and the second 7.45pm is an absolute disgrace. When we have the whole day to play why don't we have one match at, say 5pm and the second at 6.30?? For instance, Friday night, because of the rain it was getting dark at half eight, now tell me how a game starting at 7.45 is going to get finished on a pitch with no floodlights. We're lucky enough that it hasn't happened but what happens if someone gets a bad injury in the first match? Does the second game go ahead?

Anyhow, the referee made the right decision to call off the Pats/Glyde match last night, the pitch was like a swimming pool, how the Cooley/O'mahoneys game went ahead was beyond me, the pitch was way too dangerous for football.

Any other results on Champo games over the weekend?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
Re: Louth Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
well sorry 5ive times for putting a club thread into the Local Gaa Discussion forum, how silly of me...
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Lone Shark

• View Profile
    • Uíbhfháilí.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »
What's the structure of this one - I see it's two groups of six, but how many from each group get into the knockouts?

Uladh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »

As far as i know LS its top in each group goes to the semis, 2nd & 3rd go to the two quarter finals.

Lone Shark

• View Profile
    • Uíbhfháilí.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
Cheers Uladh.

Will probably price this one up after this weekend - obviously that kind of thing is crucial.

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:26:26 PM »
Lone Shark, it is indeed the top in each group goes directly to semi-final and 2nd and 3rd goes into the quarters. You can put your money on the Pats (many peoples favourites) coming out top in the easiest Group B (depending on them beating Glyde tomorrow nite of course) and Cooley to come in 2nd with Kilkerley or Malachi's coming in 3rd.

In the other group it is near impossivle to call but should be clearer after this weekends games. At a hunch I would have Brides, Blues and anyone from Martins, Mattock, mary's to qualify - in other words, impossible to call!

My own bet - Pats to go the whole way, 6 men on county panel and possibly another 2 more next year, great defence and best player in the county in Paddy Keenan, Cooley won't be far away also. Really looking forward to the knockout stages this year, promises to be some great matches

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:16:54 PM »
have to agree with you midlouth about Pats being a tired squad, maybe having 6 on the couonty panel is working against us. We showed no hunger or any idea of how to play with each other. I would be of the opinion that Oweny Z and Paudie Mallon could make the step up to the louth panel although Owen had a stinker the other night.

The Joes I think, are being exposed for the team they always were but then again they have an awful lot of injuries too.

What about the Mary's MidLouth?? They seem to be moving fairly well?

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
I thought that Oweny was studying in England or somewhere.
Yeah Oweny was overin Scotland at college but is finished there now as far as i know. He has bulked up to county standard and might just get a call this year. As for paudie i think he is only gettin back to himself after bein away which is a huge boost to the Pats.

What way is your group now MidLouth? If you lose against the Blues yous are gone and the loser of Martins/Brides also misses out on q/finals.. Am i right with that?

Who played well last nite in the Mary's / Martins game anyway?

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »
Oweny prob will get a call, but I don't think he will walk onto the team. A lot of good players there now, and a lot that were made wait around to get a go. What is your opinion of the Finnegan brothers?

Don't think he will walk onto the team but will prob make the panel. I think the Finnegans are too very good footballers, Dessie has bulked up as well over the last year and is playin with more confidence than ever while Ray is the sort of player that can take a team apart. However he can take too much out of the ball at times and can get clogged up but still a fantastic player, some engine in him!

How is your county players doing with the club MidLouth?

Predictions for the weekend:
Collon to beat Joes well
Brides to sneak past Martins, I would say that Shorty Trainor is one of the best coaches in the county and has them movin well
I would say the Blues to just about beat the Mary's but you never know what your going to get with either team.

In our group we will have an awful tough time beating Kilkerley unless we start playing some football
Cooley to beat Glyde
Malachy's to beat O'Mahoney's as they need to win to claim third spot

Where are all the rest of the Louth posters??

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:33:39 PM »
yeah i think it has been tough on the county players, they have had a long year and then last years run with the Tommy Murphy Cup made it a long year also. But then again, if we were knocked out early in the year we'd all be giving out! makes you wonder how the likes of the Armagh/Cross boys do it

Goss s moving pretty well at the minute but you always get the feeling that he's only one game away from injuring himself again. Paddy K hasn't trained the last two weeks (apart from playing against the Glyde), suffering from some sort of groin strain which is a big worry for us as he keeps drivin the team on and he's our captain. I think its somethin to do with lack of rest mixed with the type of hard-running game he plays.

Speaking of Louth players, would there be any club players good enough to make the panel next year. Based on games you have seen of course??

Although i haven't seen him I hear Derek Maguire (Y. Irelands) is a good prospect, maybe trainin at a higher level could really bring him on. Conor Sheridan (Glyde) looked good against us but he kind of struggled on the seniors before.

I personally think that the Louth senior team is missing a few mean, hard b@st@rds

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:21:16 PM »
Just after coming across this thread and my first comment on it is going to be a shot across the bows....

The two of you have been very uncomplimentary to the Joes and I take except lads, it all sounds bitter! The Joes team has been ravaged this year by injury, retirements and emmigration. Of the team that only lost to Mattock last night by two points in injury time only 10 played in last years final. From the Joes first twenty last year 10 are not currently on the panel for the reasons listed above. Ask yourself the question, how would Pats or Marys cope with that??

To not give the Joes credit for their achievements last year is unreal.. beating Mattock, Blues & Pats to win it, the only teams who had won Joe this century and each had done it twice!! No mean feat... I could list it all off, but you are informed men and you know the story yourselves.

Also midlouth... you made comments about me not having much interest in Louth football, I'll just let you know that up until the Kildare game this year I had not missed a Louth SFC match since the 80's (and that includes all Tommy Murphy Cup games). I also go to most NFL and O'Byrne cup games. I travel home from Navan up to twice a week for Club Championship, league and Junior games also. I just wanted to set the record straight. I may not post a huge amount on this board, but that does not mean I don't follow it avidly. Last night I was in both Louth village and Castlebellingham.

Anyway, now that I have got that off my chest.....what about last night

Joes v Collon - Joes goal four minutes from time put them 2 up with 4 to play, but they seemed to stop playing and 4 unanswered points from Mattock sealed their fate.
O'Mahonys v Mals - saw the first half of this and mals looked poor, half way through the second half they were facing relegation playoff with Glyde winning against Cooley and them losing. Didn't see it but it but, some turn around for them going from relegation playoff to Qtr finals, well done.
Cooley v Glyde - landed into this early in the second half with Glyde four points up and looking good, Cooley just moved up the gears and a very good goal from S O'Neill completely turned the game and Cooley completely dominated to the end kicking some bad wides enroute to victory
Pats v Kilkerly - What a performance to win by such a margin and what I want to know about.. What about Sean Connor on the Square??? heard he had a great game

Well done to the Brides and Pats for making the Semis and to the other clubs who made the Qtrs also. The big game this weekend coming for me is O'Mahonys v Glyde to see who faces the Joes in the relegation playoff, it think that glyde will just about have enough to see them safe
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:25:51 PM by Louth Exile »
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:59:15 PM »
ah another poster!

I dont think anyone can take anythin away from the Joes last year and all from the Pats wouldnt begrudge them the victory but the defeat in the final last year still hurts everyone at the club and it is still felt that it is 'the one that got away'. But there's no doubt that the Joes were more up for it on the day and more tactically sound coupled with the fact that only Keenan and Eamonn Carroll played for the Pats.

there are a few from my own club that I would like seen given a chance to prove themselves. Niall Sharkey being one, considering the way he left the squad in 2005 and looked like finally making a break through. And then cast away once injured.

In fairness I dont think Sharkey would be near fit enough to get anywhere near the Louth panel. While I admire how good he WAS and the display of point-kickin he put on in the 2003 drawn final was amazing, I think his chance at the top level is gone. It's a pity because you always felt that he had a lot more to offer than was shown.

I have to say well done to our lads on the win over Kilkerley. They came in for an awful lot of abuse after the Glyde match but then again Kilkerley were poor so its hard to know where we really stand.

Louth Exile, seeing as you attend a lot of games (club) is there anyone out there good enough to break into the Louth panel for 2008??

Also LE and MidL, what is your general opinion of Eamon Mac?? Personally i think he's a fantastic manager and speaking to our Louth men they seem to be very happy witht the whole backroom team and set up. If I thought we would go back to where we were under Val Andrews (a first-class cowboy from all reports BTW) i dunno what I would do!!

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »
Pedro - re new additions to the panel, although i attend a good few games I would have to admit I am not greatest judge of new talent that can make it at county level. So many good club footballers just wont make it at county level. I know he is in the melting pot already, but I was very impressed with Adrian Reid on Sunday night.

Re: Eamonn Mac and his team: I was hugely impressed last year and this year in the league, right up until the Galway game. My feeling is that the wheels came off the wagon at the end of the league and it took a while to steady the ship which lead to our rather erratic championship. Limerick was a watershed, we went down there after the depletion to the panel and ground out a good victory which was very important and for a change we were coming out the right end of a tight finish. The thing that impresses me most about the management is that they very clearly pick on form and not reputation, also, they are not afraid to make switches and tend not to leave too late.

Although, Andrews did indeed bring us to the same stage in the championship this was more by accident that design! The best example I have (and this 100% true as one of the panel travelled home with us after the game) is the Monaghan game in Cavan. The panel assembled in Smamore that afternoon to travel to Brefni, naturally enough they expected light food to be organised, no the management hadn't thought of this!! They ended up having to ring a pub close to the grounds to lay on soup and sandwiches an hour before throw in!! Picture it, a pub full of Louth and Monaghan supporters and there is the Louth panel trekking through the pub to eat up the back! If you remember Monaghan were rampant in the first half and we clawed it back in the second half (in no small part due to Clarkes kicking). Was this partly down to how close to throw in the lads ate?
It was this lack of attention to detail that made Andrews a joke. Look at how many players returned to the panel last year who didn't play under Andrews and made vital contributions to the team.

I've started now..... Do you remember the qualifier game in Drogheda (I think it was Antrim) where Nicky Mc D was playing a great game, Andrews took him off and most of us in the crowd jeered this decision. Andrews looked around as if to saw "What did I do", complete rabbit in the headlights look on him. What happened later on.. He brings Nicky back in. The man was a joke.

Eamonn Mac is not the messiah that we might have thought he was after last year, but they are doing a good job and after my confidence in the management team being dented somewhat this year I am still fully behind them.

Anyway, to bring the thread back to club matters, I see the Glyde v O'Mahonys game is on this Thursday in Knockbridge, the only game I'll make to in Louth this week. I think the Glyde will probably just make it through. There is always the danger that a Joes v Glyde relegation play off could get very nasty!! No love lost there.

Looking through the other fixtures I wouldn't mind going to the O'Connells v Gaels match. There is a fair number of Gaels supporters who have ideas above there station as to how good their team is, this should be a good clash and I'd tentatively go for O'Connells.

Pedro... answer me this. What was the story with Sean Connor at full forward?? Radio said he had a mighty game. Could this be his breakthrough into the Louth first team as a forward??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

• Vote for Pedro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
Also it would be worth noting, I was disappointed in the way Trevor O'Brien was treated this year. We could have done with his talent, but if he isn't even coming on as a sub whats the point.

While i think Trevor is an excellent football and has made valuable contributions to the team in the past (e.g. Cavan and Antrim in league 2006),  I recall seeing a picture of him in the local paper playing soccer and with the headlin "O'Brien takes xxx apart" or something to that effect. Even to myself it looked bad and maybe he didn't give the commitment that the rest of the team were offering.

Do you remember the qualifier game in Drogheda (I think it was Antrim) where Nicky Mc D was playing a great game, Andrews took him off and most of us in the crowd jeered this decision. Andrews looked around as if to saw "What did I do", complete rabbit in the headlights look on him. What happened later on.. He brings Nicky back in. The man was a joke.

Ha, I remember that! I actually thought it was Roscommon but that was an absolute joke.. Some of the stories  used to hear from our county men were just unbelievable, I mean our club had a better set up at the time!

LE, your right about A Reid. I was very disappointed that he was not used in qualifiers even tho he was a late comer to the squad. He is a very talented footballer and has loads of drive and ambition.

of all the players on the club scene he probably really is the only one who would stand out which maybe is a worry. I feel its always good to have a few club players disgruntled at not making the panel which makes them go out and prove a point to the management and gives them a real hunger.

Pedro... answer me this. What was the story with Sean Connor at full forward?? Radio said he had a mighty game. Could this be his breakthrough into the Louth first team as a forward??

Well LE, it was obvious that we had major problems in the forward in the last few games (especially against the Glyde) and we needed to freshen things up. Sean just happened to be partaking in some of the wee games at trainin and was showing up well so they just decided to take the gamble on it as we had nothin to lose. He had a hell of a game, scoring 1-2, got fouled for a penalty, a few frees and set up one or two more from play. However, it is hard to judge him solely on that game as Kilkerley were very poor but i'd imagine he'd be there for the next day. Couldn't see him out the field for Louth though!

How are all the Joes' lads injuries?? There was some bad one wasn't there especially to Smyth and Yore, if I'm right??

Predictions for the weekend
Blues vs Cooley - I'd slightly favour Cooley (begrudgingly of course), I think they will be very cynical to young Judge who is playing some stuff and that will limit the Blues scoring ability.
Mattock vs Malachi's - Its hard to look past Collon but Malachi's could cause problems, what they lack in ability, they make up for with sheer hard work.
Glyde vs O'mahoneys - I would think Glyde should come through this relatively handy with a belief that they are better than they have shown all year.

Oh, and any word if Mark Brennan and David Reid will be back in time for the semi-finals should Collon make it? We would than be playin them and it would be a boost if they were still in the states!!

Louth Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »
Regarding Eamons changes from the line, they could be questioned .......Pulled Clarke off after twenty mins in Parnel Park (while he was having a bad game, he was out in front looking for ball everytime while other forwards remained hidden). IMO he unsettled the forwards he had playing so well last year. And to say players were getting playing based on preformances rather than reputation doesn't stick either when I think of Mark Brennan who put his own hand up to say he was playing crap.

I was surprised myself that Clarke came off so early as well, but was a matter of time, he was showing but completely unable to get hold of the ball that day, his shooting was off as well. We all groaned when S O'Neill came on, but it turned out to be a very good move.

You do have point with Brennan, as you say probably everyone, including himseld would admit it was amazing that he kept getting his game