Let's all laugh at Totteringham

Started by ONeill, August 11, 2007, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 22, 2007, 09:17:22 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on October 22, 2007, 09:15:21 PM
This is surely the end of the road for Mr Jol now. Still in the relegation places in October. Simply not good enough, no matter how much the players 'love' him. How can a team with such good players be so bad?

Jol is doing a fantastic job and should be allowed to see out his contract.  ;)

They've one of the worst backlines in the premiership. How can they be expected to do well?

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Newcastle 2
Spuds 1

Tony's getting excited.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Tony, what is your take on the manager at the minute? Is he a cert to go now? Come on, let us all know
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

All over

Toon Army       3
Mashed Spuds    1

Spurs say in bottom three  :o
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gold

Robbie of Keane play as well as he did v cyprus?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Silver lining though. They play Blackpool on Hallowe'en night in the Arsenal Reserves' Cup.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Sqaure Ball, the situation cannot be tolerated any longer. At the weekend Klinsmann said he wanted to work in London, that's a "come and get me now" invitation to the Spurs Board. I think they should end Jol's reign now, pay him the £4m (which is what he is angling for) and bring in Klinsmann, a proven winner and top class coach who will attract top class players to the club (as opposed to the likes of Steed Malbranque ffs). What a massive lift for everyone at the club this would be

T Fearon

Exactly. The season can still be salvaged but Jol is not the man to do it.

It is obvious now that the players have lost confidence

Square Ball

Tony

its not only that the players have lost confidence, they also seem to have lost confidence in the manager. Berbatov seems to be a prime example of this, one of the best strikers in the premiership last season to someone who doesn't seem to want to be on the field, has he lost his balls? or has the manager lost the dressing room and his reign is virtually over?

T Fearon

The latter obviously. Apparently Berbatov had to be persuaded three times last night to come on.

The Manager has lost the dressing room and we have now reached the point of no return. I am surprised there hasn't been an announcement already to-day

Square Ball

From The BBC

I can salvage Spurs' season - Jol 

Tottenham have won only one of their 10 league games this season
Under-fire Tottenham boss Martin Jol says he can revive his side's fortunes, despite their dire start to the season.
Poor defending cost Spurs dear in a 3-1 loss at Newcastle on Monday to leave Jol's side in the bottom three but he said: "Yes we lack a bit of leadership.

"But if everybody is fit we have got a very good team and very good defence."

However, former Spurs midfielder Tim Sherwood told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Martin has not fixed the defensive frailties and, ultimately, may pay the price."

Interview: Spurs boss Martin Jol

Tottenham have won only one of their first 10 Premier League games and there has been speculation over Jol's future for most of the season.

Jol's position has not been helped by renewed speculation about his relationship with star striker Dimitar Berbatov.

606: DEBATE
The genuine hope for great things at the beginning of the season and now total despair

indoznids

It was reported that the Bulgarian was so unhappy at starting from the bench at St James' Park that he initially refused to warm up before appearing as a second-half substitute.

That allegation was firmly denied by Jol, who said he was resting Berbatov ahead of Thursday's Uefa Cup tie, but the Bulgarian made a lacklustre cameo appearance, underlined by his score of 5.01 on BBC Sport's Player Rater.

And Sherwood said: "Berbatov is not happy if you ask me. He did take some persuading to warm up against Newcastle.

"He could play in any side in the world when on form but I wouldn't want him round me in Spurs' position.

"Tottenham need people willing to fight for the cause and, on the evidence of the Newcastle game, he's not one of them."

However, it is in defence where Jol may have the biggest problems.

Tottenham, need people willing to fight for the cause and on the evidence of the Newcastle game, he's not one of them

Sherwood on Berbatov

Influential club captain Ledley King has missed the whole season so far because of injury, while the latest worry for Spurs is Welsh defender Gareth Bale, who suffered a foot problem against the Magpies.

"Hopefully, it is not too bad but it doesn't look good," added Jol. "His foot was swelling up after the game, so it could be a pretty tough injury."

However, Sherwood believes Jol has few excuses for his side's defensive concerns, saying: "There are problems at Tottenham and they can't go on this way.

"I'm all for giving managers time - but only if they are making progress and at the moment there are no leaders on the pitch and, more worryingly, no leaders off the pitch.

"Martin needs to show improvement. It looks like they are doing nothing on the training ground to address their problems at the back.

"The only problem the board have is who they could bring in to replace him. Sevilla coach Juande Ramos has obviously been highlighted as the man they want but he won't be available until next summer and Spurs don't have an obvious choice as a caretaker manager."

Every match we make mistakes, and we have to cut out that rubbish

Martin Jol

Jol, on the other hand, believes he is doing all he can to get the best out of his players and blames "individual errors" for Tottenham's poor form.

"You can go into any match with all the best intentions and gameplans but if you concede goals like we do you make almost impossible for yourself," he said.

"Seventy per cent of the goals we have let in this season have been avoidable. We talk about set-pieces and everything like that but we need mental strength out on the pitch.

"I believe in the players but they are young and we need someone to stand up and pull the strings. Every match we make mistakes and we have to cut out that rubbish."

T Fearon

The defensive frailties were blatantly obvious during the second leg of the UEFA Cup tie against Seville last season when we conceded two silly goals that no competent Pub side would concede in the opening minutes and lost the tie and the trophy in the process.

7 months on and things are getting worse instead of better