Kielty getting rave reviews for his performance in A Night in November

Started by T Fearon, August 09, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 01:26:30 PM
Sammy this play is based on true real life events,is the shameful sectarianism at Windsor Park on that night in November 1993 (I'm beginning to have a Franki Valli and the Four Seasons moment here).
So you know better that the person who wrote the play, who says that it isn't, right good glad we've got that sorted out
Shouts of Trick or Treat were clearly heard at Windsor Park that night..fact.
Fact and fiction getting blurred again Tony. This happens in the play, it did not happen at the match
The only time the play stretches one's credibility level is when a member of the sectarian North of Ireland support comes to his senses and supports the real Ireland team. This is where Miss Jones (cue Rising Damp moment) most definitely employs poetic licence
You're right it is unlikely that a football supporter would give up and go and support rugby.

MW

Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 01:37:26 PM
[You're right it is unlikely that a football supporter would give up and go and support rugby.

To be fair he did say a "North of Ireland supporter" - and North of Ireland were a rubgy team back then. So I guess there are quite a few former North of Ireland supporters to be found among the Ireland support... ;)

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 10, 2007, 01:39:09 PM
Sammy are you unwilling to admit that any Sectarian chanting takes place in Windsor?
Of course it did, when has anybody ever said anything different?

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 12:55:15 PM
Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 12:52:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 12:42:45 PM
And another thing, Trick or Treat chants were prolonged and quite clearly audible at Windsor Park from the North of Ireland support. Sammy you'll be telling us next that to-day is Sunday, and making yourself even sillier than you undoubtedly are
Tony

I know you have difficulty with a grasp on reality, at the best of times. So I'll try and explain this slowly, things that happen in a play are not real, unless it is a documentary. If the author clearly states that it is a work of fiction and that she wasn't even at the match, why do you contnue to suggest that it's true?

Tom Humphries in his book about Charlton

"To his shame Bingham stoked the menace of the crowd all week, driving the temperature on the night past which was tolerable by waving his arms in emcouragement as the crowd sang 'The Billy Boys' & 'The Sash'"

"Those who travelled to the game will remember the cold and the hostility. Andy Townsend wrote afterwords that he heard a fan distinctly yell before kick-off "' hey, Townsend, you fenian scum. I hope your mother dies of cancer". Other supporters shouted about sectarian atrocities: uff, the billy boys & 'trick or treat'. Billy Bingham in his last match for Northern Ireland, pointed to the Republic players as he called on the crowd to increase the volume of the 'Billy Boys' song."

Yea, because you'll never find wild inaccuracies and downright lies in football biographies/autobigographies ::)

Take the Dunphy-ghostwritten Keane autobiography: Keane apparently was shocked that the sectarianism in the stands was as bad as the terraces (actually, the terraces were closed that night); Linfield had recently signed their first ever Catholic player who wasn't popular and being black didn't help, and Linfield sacked their manager soon after (actually, the player he seems to have been referring to, Antoine Coly, wasn't Linfield's first Catholic player, had been signed in 1988 for one season, had been a cult hero among the bluedogs, Roy Coyle resigned in 1990 having been beaten 6 times by Glentoran in one season).

Yer Ma

Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 12:55:15 PM
Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 12:52:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 12:42:45 PM
And another thing, Trick or Treat chants were prolonged and quite clearly audible at Windsor Park from the North of Ireland support. Sammy you'll be telling us next that to-day is Sunday, and making yourself even sillier than you undoubtedly are
Tony

I know you have difficulty with a grasp on reality, at the best of times. So I'll try and explain this slowly, things that happen in a play are not real, unless it is a documentary. If the author clearly states that it is a work of fiction and that she wasn't even at the match, why do you contnue to suggest that it's true?

Tom Humphries in his book about Charlton

"To his shame Bingham stoked the menace of the crowd all week, driving the temperature on the night past which was tolerable by waving his arms in emcouragement as the crowd sang 'The Billy Boys' & 'The Sash'"

"Those who travelled to the game will remember the cold and the hostility. Andy Townsend wrote afterwords that he heard a fan distinctly yell before kick-off "' hey, Townsend, you fenian scum. I hope your mother dies of cancer". Other supporters shouted about sectarian atrocities: uff, the billy boys & 'trick or treat'. Billy Bingham in his last match for Northern Ireland, pointed to the Republic players as he called on the crowd to increase the volume of the 'Billy Boys' song."

I like Tom Humphries, his writing on the 2002 World Cup was excellent, but I do believe that last sentence on Billy Bingham to be wrong. Humphries has admitted to having Republican sympathies, maybe it clouded his judgement slightly.

Mr Pink

Donagh

Quote from: MW on August 10, 2007, 01:36:40 PM
No it isn't what "they all do" you absolute f**king idiot.

Resorting to personal abuse now MW, now why doesn't that surprise. ::)  If you can't behave like a grown-up you should take your senseless bigotry back to the OWC cesspit.

Donagh

Quote from: Yer Ma on August 10, 2007, 02:08:18 PM

I like Tom Humphries, his writing on the 2002 World Cup was excellent, but I do believe that last sentence on Billy Bingham to be wrong. Humphries has admitted to having Republican sympathies, maybe it clouded his judgement slightly.

WTF are you on?

Yer Ma

Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 02:49:54 PM

WTF are you on?

Well I had a fry this morning, and a cup of tea. But didn't get any lunch.

Donagh

Quote from: Yer Ma on August 10, 2007, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 02:49:54 PM

WTF are you on?

Well I had a fry this morning, and a cup of tea. But didn't get any lunch.

Maybe it clouded your judgement slightly

MW

Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 02:49:05 PM

Resorting to personal abuse now MW, now why doesn't that surprise. ::)  If you can't behave like a grown-up you should take your senseless bigotry back to the OWC cesspit.

If you're talking like an idiot, I'll call you an idiot. Claiming that singing about assaulting Catholics is what "they all do" in relation to 'the bouncy' being sung at NI matches is idiotic. In the extreme.

And what precisely have I been bigoted about now, in your fevered imagination? ::)

stiffler

Sammy is it true there were chants of 'Trick or Treat' from the home fans?

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

It is dubious whether or not Bingham was a bigot or just simply a hateful little bastard but there's no doubt that all those hateful bastards, in the stands, terraces, on the pitch and in the dugout that night would have loved to deny the real Irish team from its righful place in USA 94 and Mc Loughlin's wonder strike sure did silence the whole f**king lot of them.  ;D

Donagh

Quote from: MW on August 10, 2007, 03:09:17 PM

If you're talking like an idiot, I'll call you an idiot. Claiming that singing about assaulting Catholics is what "they all do" in relation to 'the bouncy' being sung at NI matches is idiotic. In the extreme.

And what precisely have I been bigoted about now, in your fevered imagination? ::)

It's a topic that has been discussed on here before and as I remember there were very plausible explanations of where it originates from. Please try to remember that we try to keep a higher standard here than that sewer you normally like to wallow in, there's a good chap.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on August 10, 2007, 03:15:41 PM
Quote from: MW on August 10, 2007, 03:09:17 PM

It's a topic that has been discussed on here before and as I remember there were very plausible explanations of where it originates from. Please try to remember that we try to keep a higher standard here than that sewer you normally like to wallow in, there's a good chap.

No it was a topic that was discussed before and your only 'link' was some American nutter (who probably couldn't find Belfast on a map with Belfast written on it in big letters) who you quoted to back up your bizarre prejudices. I think you even tried to equate it to the attack on Robert Hamill, until it was pointed out the the bouncy had been done for about 15-20 years before the attack and was also used alll over the world.