After the Darren Graham Affair is settled

Started by Evil Genius, August 08, 2007, 01:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

In the original Graham thread, I asked a question along the following lines:

"Assuming the Graham Affair were eventually settled so that his abusers were punished and he felt able to return to playing, would that be the end of the matter? Or should the GAA take further steps to remedy the situation whereby the Protestant/Unionist tradition is so seriously under-represented in NI GAA that, for example, Graham would remain the only Protestant playing GAA sports to a significant level in the whole of County Fermanagh?"

Unfortunately, this question got lost in the whole controversy about Graham himself, which is why I've started this thread to consider the eventual aftermath.

To get the ball rolling, here is an interesting article from the Sunday Life by journalist and Fermanagh GAA player, Colm Bradley:

GAA: This sectarian abuse must be stamped out

Sunday, August 05, 2007

By Colm Bradley

When it was reported this week that a local duel player Darren Graham was quitting the GAA because of sectarian abuse it was clear that it wouldn't be long before the story was picked up by the broadcast media.

And true enough, by 12 o'clock on Wednesday Darren was speaking on Radio Ulster about how ever since he started playing GAA he had been on the receiving end of some form of sectarian abuse at the hands of opposing players, opposing fans and officials, and that the abuse had increased greatly since he had graduated to senior action.

A Fermanagh County Board spokesperson, also speaking on the radio, explained that there was nothing the board could do until an official complaint was made.

It sounded a bit like an attempt to shift the pressure away from themselves and onto the player and as I listened I began to feel more uncomfortable.

The spokesperson went on to say that personally they were unaware of any sectarian abuse directed at Darren Graham and that as far as they were concerned nobody else on the county board was aware of it either.

Although to be fair it was made clear that the Fermanagh County Board would condemn any such sectarian abuse. Well thank God for that then, eh!

I find it hard to believe that nobody on the County Board knew about this issue. I have played senior club football in Fermanagh for over a decade and I have been aware that Darren Graham has been on the receiving end of sectarian abuse and I would have guessed that plenty of officialdom knew too.

It is actually with a fair degree of shame that I admit knowing and, as a journalist, I should have highlighted this unacceptable behaviour a long time ago.

The story is out now and I hope that the small minority who actually believed that this sort of behaviour did not go on, with respect to Darren, will think again.

In truth I am a little disappointed at the initial reaction of the County Board. Rule 7(b) of the GAA Official Guide states that the GAA is non sectarian and rule 142 (a) states that a county committee has the power to investigate breaches of rules. To argue that the County Board is powerless to do anything until an official complaint has been made is incorrect.

The very least the board should have done was to immediately state that it intended to launch a full investigation into these allegations of sectarianism. But instead it will wait for the player to go to the club and then the club to go to the county board! Bullshit bureaucracy!

There is always some banter and name calling in sport and that will continue, but for our own sake sectarian abuse is something which must be rooted out of our games.

The vast majority of GAA people are not sectarian but as the old saying goes, 'Bad things happen when good men do nothing.'

The Association needs to be much more proactive in reaching out to the Protestant community. Yes, all are welcome in the GAA, we know that, but is it enough just to say it? For instance I wonder what percentage of GAA clubs have actively tried to promote our games in Protestant primary schools - I would imagine it is pretty low.

And in an even bolder step, I would suggest that the wording of Rule 2 in the GAA Official Guide should be changed. Currently it reads 'The Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes'.

I have no problem with it but I can see how people from a Unionist background would have difficulty with the rule.

I understand that when the Association was founded these initial rules were drawn up in response to a concerted effort by the ruling class to obliterate the Irish language, Irish pastimes and Irish culture itself.

However 123 years later things are, thank Goodness, a little different and I think the GAA should do everything in its power to be as open as possible. The following wording maintains the need for the preservation of Gaelic Games and pastimes but in my opinion removes much of the ambiguity which could be read into the current rule. 'The Association is an Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in the 32 Counties on this Island through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes'.

I believe we need to be completely wholehearted in our approach to attracting those from the Unionist community into the association which means we have to look at what are perceived to be the obstacles preventing them from joining, and we have to be prepared to do something to improve the situation.

Instead of a wishy washy rule that blandly states the Association is non sectarian there needs to be a zero tolerance policy towards sectarianism.

At the moment, in my experience we are a long way from this.

The GAA is a fantastic organisation which embraces people from all ages, social backgrounds and in recent years more and more women are getting involved too.

It is an organisation with much to offer the community.

Let's not let the minority voices have the final word.

We can see from the Darren Graham story that if we continue to brush this sort of problem under the carpet eventually great players and great Gaels will simply walk away from the Association.

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/article2836540.ece 
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

OdoSkimodo

Statement from Fermanagh GAA (taken from hoganstand)

We in the GAA, and in Fermanagh Co. Board in particular, have always taken pride in being a non-sectarian and non-political organisation. We unreservedly condemn abuse of any sort whether it occurs on or off the pitch and will not tolerate sectarian abuse of any of our members. In Fermanagh we have been especially proud of the fact that over the years many of the Protestant faith have given of their best to our games and have worn their club jersey with intense pride and continue to do so.

Darren Graham has been and continues to be a skilful exponent of football and hurling; he has made incredible efforts to be part of our games and has taken deep pride in representing Lisnaskea Emmetts. We are deeply upset that Darren has had to outline details of sectarian abuse to the Co. Board. We are also concerned at inaccurate and unfair media coverage of this issue. No player, no sportsman, no person should have to put up with such treatment and as a Co. Board we unreservedly apologise to Darren for any type of abuse he may have suffered on whatever occasion. Clubs or individuals who mete out any kind of abuse, including sectarian abuse, to others will be severely punished and such people are not welcome within our organisation.

We would want to apologise to any player who gives of his time, his energy and his commitment and is then subject to totally inappropriate remarks or treatment. We, in Fermanagh, make a promise to all our hard-working players, and members in general, that sectarian abuse or abuse of any sort towards them will never be tolerated and such behaviour will be rooted out. Referees, players and clubs are now on full alert with regard to such behaviour and severe penalties will ensue. Young people like Darren Graham deserve the highest praise for the effort they make, the hard work they put in and the endurance they show. We in the Co. board are behind them all the way; they have our unconditional support.

We have spoken with Darren who says that he would like to get on with his playing career encouraged as he is by the promises given. We are at the moment working very closely with him as regards his case and he is reassured that he and all players will be supported, protected and looked after to the very best of our ability.

We in Fermanagh Co. board and in the GAA are totally non-sectarian; we are open to all and we will not allow sectarian abuse to gain the slightest toe-hold within our organisation. With this in mind a special meeting of chairmen and secretaries of all clubs in the county will be convened as soon as possible to be addressed by leading GAA officials, including former Uachtarán of the Association Jack Boothman.

Peter Carty
Chairman
Fermanagh Co. Board

OdoSkimodo

"Or should the GAA take further steps to remedy the situation whereby the Protestant/Unionist tradition is so seriously under-represented in NI GAA that, for example, Graham would remain the only Protestant playing GAA sports to a significant level in the whole of County Fermanagh?"

Darren is not the only protestant playing senior club football in fermanagh. I will not name names or clubs but there are two lads playing for my club who are of the protestant 'faith'. Despite this I still think more should be done to encourage participation in gaelic games by all members of our community.

the Deel Rover

what happened to Darren Graham was wrong but its happened to other footballers all their lives, for e.g  Ciaran Mc from our club stopped playing football with mayo because he was spat on by his own so called supporters he gave up the game for a year but came back in 2004 a stronger player, there is nothing you can do to stop these idiots hurling abuse at you its  part of the game unfortunately. If you walk away from the game you love then the gurriers have won.I have played football with protestants in our club and never heard any comments about religon been made to them.Also Jayo has been the subject of verbal abuse in the past and has risen above it 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Jim_Murphy_74

EG,

I know Graham has already made a statement about returning to play.  I'm guessing that you are already angling that it is not about him and that resolution of the matter to Graham's satisfaction is not in effect resolution at all.

I would say if nothing further comes of this incident then it is a missed opportunity, yes.  However it essentially about what Graham wants.

/Jim.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 08, 2007, 01:52:25 PM
EG,

I know Graham has already made a statement about returning to play.  I'm guessing that you are already angling that it is not about him and that resolution of the matter to Graham's satisfaction is not in effect resolution at all.

I would say if nothing further comes of this incident then it is a missed opportunity, yes.  However it essentially about what Graham wants.

/Jim.

I'm not "angling" at anything. I have nothing for or against the player himself, so if the matter were resolved so that he felt comfortable returning to the game, then good for him.

However, just as I contested earlier that it should not be for him to bring a complaint, neither should it be for him to "declare the issue closed" (imo). Rather, I feel it must be for the GAA to determine whether further action is required.

Which is why I sought the opinion of GAA fans on this Board as to whether they think his return to playing would signal a resolution to the matter, or whether more might/should be done?

Prevention vs Cure, if you like.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

magickingdom

the gaa should do whatever it can to encourage unionist participation in the gaa. of course some people will never feel that they can play gaa but that shouldn't stop the gaa trying. fcukwitts like gweyltah i wouldn't waste my time trying to please. so eg what must the gaa do to get you playing gaa? achievable goals only if your interested in replying.. (ie not set up a seperate ni gaa, its always going to be an 32 county body and all that implies) ..

fearglasmor

One thing I do not understand in this case is why, if the abuse was so severe and so prolonged, did his club not act on his behalf.

Have Lisnaskea made any coment on the whole thing ?

GweylTah

Quote from: fearglasmor on August 08, 2007, 02:55:38 PM
One thing I do not understand in this case is why, if the abuse was so severe and so prolonged, did his club not act on his behalf.

Not wanting it to get out and bring bad publicity to the non-sectarian sport?

Just wishing the county's Token Prod would go quietly?

Couldn't care less, he's only a Prod and shouldn't really be playing Gaelic anyway?

Who knows?

his holiness nb

Quote from: GweylTah on August 08, 2007, 03:13:08 PM

Couldn't care less, he's only a Prod and shouldn't really be playing Gaelic anyway?

Who knows?

Now theres bigotry!
Ask me holy bollix

the Deel Rover

Who knows?
As i said before he is not the 1st player to receive verbal abuse in the county if he doesn't want to play then walk away nobody is forcing him to play. as i said i have played with protestants before and never heard any mention of religon .
Your really are a shit stirrer Gweyltah
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

nifan

Who knows?

The man says his team has been behind him all the way, and theres never been a problem with them.
Do you know different

GweylTah

Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2007, 03:26:17 PM

The man says his team has been behind him all the way, and theres never been a problem with them.
Do you know different

No, I don't, I was asking questions.   Has his club been behind him all the way of this has been going on for years and other team-mates, as he said, knew it was going on and said he shouldn't have to put up with it.  Different things.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GweylTah on August 08, 2007, 03:40:47 PM
Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2007, 03:26:17 PM

Do you know different

No, I don't, I was asking questions.   Has his club been behind him all the way of this has been going on for years and other team-mates, as he said, knew it was going on and said he shouldn't have to put up with it.  Different things.

just wondering what would you want the club to do. Ask all specatators to refrain from shouting abuse? It happens all over the country at Gaelic matches, Soccer Matches , Rugby matches players receive abuse its just the way it is
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Evil Genius

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 08, 2007, 03:58:56 PM
just wondering what would you want the club to do. Ask all specatators to refrain from shouting abuse? It happens all over the country at Gaelic matches, Soccer Matches , Rugby matches players receive abuse its just the way it is

Can't speak for Gweyltah, but in soccer, there are a range of sanctions available for crowd misbehaviour of this sort. Clubs and international teams have been fined heavily for their fans making racist chants etc. A reoccurance can mean points deduction, or even expulsion.

At the weekend, the Scottish FA warned Rangers that if there was any repetition of sectarian chanting by their fans after their opening League game, they risked being docked points:
http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1224312007

And last night, Rangers indicated they would complain to UEFA about their black players being abused in Montenegro:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article2221039.ece

And, of course, the GAA could send out a powerful message by taking action against players or officials who engage in such activity (as may yet happen in the Graham case)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"