Author Topic: Tyrone Hurling  (Read 19215 times)


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12014
    • View Profile
Tyrone demolition keeps Fingal in race for Division 3B Final

Fingal 7-15 Tyrone 0-7

Fingal hammered a woeful Tyrone side at Swords to stay in contention for a place in the NHL Div 3B decider.

The result puts the North Dublin team level on points with Roscommon and Louth and with a crucial game away to the latter next weekend it is set to come down to who wins that game following Roscommon's defeat to table-toppers Wicklow today.

There was never a doubt about the outcome here after Peter Daly scored the first of his four goals on 16 minutes and two more goals coming up to the break had Fingal well in the driving seat as they led 3-4 to 0-4 points.

"We didn't actually play that well at all in the first-half," said Manager Denis Murphy afterwards.

"We didn't get any point from play and while there was never a doubt about the outcome I thought we could have been further ahead. But I suppose we got our act together in the second-half, we needed to drive our score on and thankfully that's what we did," he added.

The other goals came from Cian O'Mahony, Emmett McCabe and Paul McAllister.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12014
    • View Profile
Wicklow Hurlers Into League Decider
Alan O'Briain

Tyrone 0-03 Wicklow 6-22

Wicklow have been promoted and will play in the Division 3B Hurling final after a huge win in Omagh over Tyrone by 6-22 to 0-3.

Paul Sutton and Don Hyland grabbed 5 goals between them as Tyrone were ran ragged in Omagh.  Substitute Sutton grabbing a fine hat-trick after his introduction in an easy win for the Garden County that seen them make an immediate return to Division 3A.

Casey O’Briens men will now face Louth or Roscommon next week depending on results.  The Wee men travel to Arklow to face Wicklow on the 18th of April and if they avoid defeat they will be into the May 1st decider.

Wicklow: P Sutton 3-1, D Hyland 2-1, J Connors 1-2, C Kavanagh 0-5, R Keddy 0-4, A Driver 0-3, T Doyle, N Heffernan 0-2 each, B Cuddihy, N Driver 0-1 each.
Tyrone: SP Begley (f), R O’Neill, A Kelly (f) 0-1 each.

Wicklow — E Kennedy; C O’Neill, G Keogh, W Collins; B Cuddihy, L Kennedy, N Skelton; M O’Neill, T Doyle; A Driver, R Keddy, N Driver; C Kavanagh, D Hyland, J Connors. Subs: P Sutton for Hyland, J Tanner for Kennedy, N Heffernan for Connors.

Tyrone — N Gallagher; S McLaughlin, J Patton, R Woods; C Cross, SP Begley, M O’Gorman; L Moore, A Kelly; G Fox, T Nixon, R O’Neill; M Kane, P Conway, T O’Hagan. Subs: S Michael for O’Hagan, F Stewart for McLaughlin.

REF — E Hasson (Derry).


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12014
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
Sligo Hurlers avoid relegation
By Paul Healy

Sligo 3-17 Tyrone 1-13

SLIGO retained their place in Allianz GAA Hurling National Hurling League Division 3B courtesy of an eventually comprehensive 3-17 to 1-13 victory over Tyrone, who were themselves consequently relegated from this competitive section along with Donegal.

Going into the game at Markievicz Park last Sunday a head-to-head win for the visitors would have meant they would have leapfrogged Sligo and consigned the Frank Browne-managed side to life in the bottom tier next year – despite Sligo, last year’s Division Four champions, having a sizeably healthier for-against scoring average.

Fortunately, there was no repeat of a return to Division Four for Sligo, where they had been forced to tread their wares throughout 2009, as a determined performance, sometimes worryingly patchy in the first-half but one in which the hosts mostly looked the likelier winners, ensured another season in the third tier.

A blistering start saw a Colin Herity-inspired Sligo race into an 0-4 to 0-0 lead inside five minutes, with the Kilkenny native unlucky to see that fourth point rise over the bar when a goal looked certain.

Tyrone recovered strongly, however – with the home side only able to add Larry Cadden’s 20th minute point to their own total before the half-hour mark – and a poacher’s finish from Ryan Woods on 28 minutes gave the visitors an ominous 1-6 to 0-5 lead.

Yet a settling Herity free on 30 minutes seemed to reignite Sligo and, within 60 seconds, Larry Cadden had struck for their opening goal.

Sligo followed up with four rapid pre-interval scores – with a Justy Kelly free on 32 minutes Tyrone’s solitary response – to open up a 1-10 to 17 advantage at half-time.

 The hosts enjoyed a 1-14 to 1-10 lead 15 minutes into the second-half but it was a well-executed second Sligo goal from the introduced Aidan Walsh on 52 minutes that gave his side some real distance on the scoreboard (2-14 to 1-10).

Kelly valiantly tried to keep Tyrone in touch but Herity’s frees kept restoring the home side’s seven-points advantage and, in added-time, Cadden grabbed his own second goal, Sligo’s third, to seal a 10-points win (3-17 to 1-13).

Overall, Sligo can look forward to their upcoming Nicky Rackard Cup campaign, with a good balance evident now from goalkeeper Mark Kearney‘s accurate deliveries to Herity’s assuredness in front of the posts.

Furthermore, should talisman Keith Raymond recover from injury, a strong Nicky Rackard Cup run should be attainable.

Sligo: Mark Kearney, Cian Hackett, Jamie Kenny, Derek O’Brien, Shane Glynn (0-1), Mark Burke (c), Niall Cadden, Ciaran Brenan, Liam Reidy, Alan Cawley (0-1), Robert Molloy (0-3), Damien Burke (0-1), Mark Gordon, Colin Herity (0-10, 6f, 1 ‘65‘), Larry Cadden (2-1) Subs used: Aidan Walsh (1-0) for Gordon (21 mins); Pat Quinn for D Burke (47 mins); Michael Gilmartin for Cadden (47 mins); Niall McDermott for Gilmartin (62 mins); Vinny O’Hora for Brenan (66 mins)

Tyrone: Nicky McBride, Sean Paul Begley, Jason Patton, Chris Cross, Gareth Fox, Jason Kelly, Michael O’Gorman, Justy Kelly (0-9, 6f), Leigh Moore (0-2), Garry Cox, Aidan Kelly (c) (0-1), Eric Kirwin, Ryan Woods (1-0), Paddy Conway, Seamus O’Hagan Subs used: Damien Maguire (0-1) for Conway (halftime); Conway for Fox (52 mins)

Referee: Ger Hoey (Clare)

Carmen Stateside

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4794
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone Hurling
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »

08/05/2010 - 16:01:35
Tyrone 6-24 Cavan 1-14

Tyrone put a disastrous league campaign behind them to turn on the style with a resounding Ulster SHC win over Cavan at Healy Park.

The Breffni men found themselves on the end of a 25 points hammering, with Red Hand corner forward Conor Grugan doing most of the damage.

The Carrickmore man helped himself to a 3-8 tally, all from play, with his clubmate Justin Kelly contributing a handsome 1-8 total.

Grugan hit his first goal in the eighth minute, getting on the end of a Kelly free to finish from eight yards.

Kevin Downes kept th Brefni men in touch with some excellent striking from long range frees, and it was Micky O’Connell who brought the visitors level in the 27th minute.

Two minutes later, however, Grugan grabbed a second goal, skipping past his marker to beat Darren Sheridan with a brilliant finish.

Three stoppage time points, two of them sublime efforts from Grugan, eased the red Hands six points clear, but there was still time for Downes to get in for a goal, following neat approach work from substitute Rory O’Hanlon.

Tyrone led by 2-10 to 1-10 at the break, and completely overwhelmed their opponents in the second half.

Justin Kelly’s long range free went all the way to the net in the 45th minute, and that signalled the beginning of Cavan’s collapse.

Grugan completed his hat-trick on49 minutes, and four minutes later, Cormac McHugh banged in Tyrone’s fifth goal.

The points continued to flow, off the sticks of Grugan, Mike O’Gorman, Sean Pauil Belgey, and Kelly, and with five minutes to play, Cavan’s misery was compounded when Sean McLoughney scored a sixth goal.

Tyrone: N McBride, SP Begley (0-1), J Patton, M Kelly, B McGilloway, D Maguire, S McCrory, J Kelly (1-8, 1-7f), A Kelly, Gary Fox (0-1), S McLoughney (1-1), P O’Connor (0-2), C Grugan (3-8), C McHugh (1-2), Gareth Fox.

Subs: M O’Gorman (0-1) for Gareth Fox, E Kirwan for Begley, C Cross for M Kelly, S Jackson for Grugan,

Cavan: D Sheridan, D Neary, M Carr, A Sheridan, B Devine, A Neilligan, S Og Brady, E Hill (0-3), P Sheridan (0-2), R O’Hagan, K Downes (1-6 (5f), J Leahy, B Harte (0-1), J Leahy, M O’Connell (0-1).

Subs: R O’Hanlon (0-1) for Leahy, M Curry for S Sheridan, K Fitzpatrick for Harten, M Doheny for O’Connell

Referee: J O’Rourke (Monaghan)

Read more:


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12014
    • View Profile
Armagh win to set up Down quarter-final

Armagh 3-20 Tyrone 2-09

Armagh will meet Down in the Ulster SHC quarter-final, following their comprehensive defeat of Tyrone at Casement Park.

A Brian McNaughton hat-trick inspired the Orchard men to the last four, with sharpshooter Paul Breen contributing nine points.

Tyrone did make a game of it with a plucky second-half display, but they had left themselves too much to do.

Breen rattled off five points, three of them from frees, in the opening 10 minutes to set the trend.

Midfielder Barry Breen also fired over a couple of scores as the Orchard men forged into a 0-8 to 0-0 lead.

David Lavery got Tyrone's opening score in the 16th minute, and added another from long range to raise Red Hand spirits.

But Armagh men stepped up the tempo again. A couple of Fiachra Bradley points and well taken Ger Enright effort made it 0-13 to 0-3, with Cormac McHugh getting Tyrone's score.

And two goals in the space of a minute from full forward Brain McNaughton all but sealed Tyrone's fate.

First he got in behind the defence to blast home, then showed his predatory instincts to finish from close range after Nicky McBride had made a superb save from Bradley.

Tyrone's Conor Grugan could only manage a point from a stoppage time penalty, and at the break, Armagh held a commanding 2-14 to 0-5 lead.

But after being reduced to 14 men with the dismissal on a second yellow card of defender Nathan Curry, Armagh found themselves forced onto the back foot by the resurgent Red Hands.

Substitute Shea McKiver pulled back a couple of Tyrone points, and Grugan scrambled a 56th minute goal.

Three minutes later, Lavery darted through for as superb individual goal, and a 17 points deficit had been trimmed back to 10.

But Armagh managed to lift the siege, for McCormack to plunder another goal to complete his hat-trick on 64 minutes.

Armagh: J Burke, B Mallon, F McMullan, N Curry, D Carvill, P McCormack, B McCormack, B Breen (0-3), C Carvill, R Gaffney (0-1), G Enright (0-2), F Bradley (0-3), P Breen (0-9, 6f, 1 '65), B McNaughton (3-1), C Christie (0-1).

Subs: J Corvan for Enright, P Burke for B McCormack

Tyrone: N McBride, M Kelly, B McGilloway, J Patton, SP Begley, D Maguire, S McCrory, J Kelly (0-1), L Moore, G Fox, C McHugh (0-1), A Kelly, C Grugan (1-1, 0-1 pen), D Lavery (1-4, 0-2f), P O'Connor.

Subs: S McKiver (0-2) for Fox, M O'Gorman for M Kelly

Referee: O Elliot (Antrim).


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12014
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
Hurlers rue first quarter performance


 Tyrone's Conor Grogan slips past Nathan Curry and Cathal Carvill. PHOTOS: SPORTSFILE

By Geoff Gillis

TYRONE'S Ulster Senior Hurling Championship journey ended at Casement Park on Saturday, when rivals Armagh strolled to a convincing fourteen point victory. However captain Damien Maguire was keen to dwell on the positives, as his team emerged with their pride intact following a courageous second half showing.

The Eire Og clubman was a driving force behind a battling performance and, even though the final score-line suggested a hammering, at no time did Tyrone put their heads down. Indeed with a little more composure Tyrone could have been a lot closer on the scoreboard because they missed a penalty and saw several scoring chances falling short into the hands of gracious Armagh defenders.

Reflecting on the game the Tyrone skipper pointed towards a disjointed opening quarter as the catalyst for defeat because they slipped 8-0 behind and, by the time Tyrone realised they were in a game the damage was already done.

"We are very disappointed because we never really got going in the first half," Maguire lamented. "It was game over, at half time, but we said we would go out and give it a bit more effort and play with some pride in the second half. And I still believe there is more to come from this team."

It is hard to argue with that assessment because throughout the second half the displays of SP Begley, Jason Patton, David Lavery and substitute Shea McKiver illustrated the potential within the current squad and Maguire claimed it was only a matter of the team gelling following an indifferent league campaign.

"The talent is there and it's about trying to play as a team. You probably seen it yourself from the sideline that we can be a wee bit individual the odd time. It took a while for us to click as a team, but hopefully once we get a bit more training together, the thing will come good. It is just gelling the boys together to play as a team."

Tyrone have three weeks to prepare for the Nicky Rackard Cup game with Louth and Damien was optimistic following some encouraging signs in recent games.

He added, "Morale is steadily improving and we are getting everyone back on track. We have beaten Louth before and there is no reason why we can't beat them again but before then we have to keep the momentum going."


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1020
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone Hurling
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
Tyrone 1.16 ,Donegal 2.20 , in Ulster U21B semi final played tonight in HealyPark.