Harte and the Tyrone public

Started by irunthev, August 07, 2007, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2007, 07:16:44 PM
I'm completely bemused by the singling out of Mulligan and the incredulity of Tyrone supporters that Mickey didn't replace him.

Don't believe Mannix is particularly a Tyrone fan Hardy  ;)

I wouldn't be too sore on Mulligan, but I suppose I would be guilty of judging him by his own high standards, particularly in the first half, where the second half was a big improvement; and if only he'd converted just 3 of those eminently scorable wides ('tight' defending notwithstanding)  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

Yeah I missed that it was Mannix here, bit I'm sure there were Tyrone people on other threads having a go at Mickey for leaving Mugsy on. If I'm wrong and the ould hallucinations have returned, I apologise to Tyrone in  general.

ONeill

You know where you can shove your apology.....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2007, 08:11:16 PM
There's a lot more to this article than meets the eye of a few on here, but I'm reluctant to discuss it fully on this board. I'll just say that there is a sizable group of Tyroneites who'll never recognise Mickey's legend no matter what he achieves. And I'm talking about well-educated football men, mostly of a generation similar to his. It seems to be a long-running issue, maybe dating back a couple of decades. I know a Tyrone fanatic and world-renowned scientist whose venom towards Harte shocks me. Some of their reasons don't add up - i.e. He has touched lucky, the players are winning despite him, the Tally and Canavan fall-outs speak volumes.....i think this is what the article above is loosely addressing. Outside of the county, I'm sure it beggars believe. Mickey's single-mindedness rubs some up the wrong way.

Just to make it clear, I'm a Harte fan and he's been our greatest manager at all levels. I'll question some of his decisions OK but sure that's what it's all about.

Pogonophobic the lot of them.

ONeill

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on August 07, 2007, 05:30:04 PM
Personally I'd like him to give it another go - but what happens next year if we don't win the AI or Ulster ?

Then I'd say we let Mickey decide on what he wants to do himself orangeman, it should be his sole call, and he'll know himself whether it would be the right or wrong thing to do.

I'm delighted he's staying on, especially in the light of his admission that he almost resigned after the defeat to Laois last year. And I also remember the depths of despair of the aftermath in the defeat to Sligo in Croke in '02 (and no disrespect to Sligo), t'was a much lower ebb for Tyrone football... or so it seemed!

new devil

Was that not 2002 sligo beat us?....and look what happen the next year, harte diffenetly deserves to stay as long as he thinks the players still listen to him!

ONeill

Horrendous memories. Didn't Sligo, Meath and Tyrone play on the one bill that day too.....think I've unearthed something here.

mc_grens

I was there that day. Great memories. :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2007, 08:44:40 PM
Horrendous memories. Didn't Sligo, Meath and Tyrone play on the one bill that day too.....think I've unearthed something here.

Indeed ONeill, Meath v Donegal too I believe, painful!

loughshore lad

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2007, 07:16:44 PM
I'm completely bemused by the singling out of Mulligan and the incredulity of Tyrone supporters that Mickey didn't replace him. I suppose it proves you're better off to hide than to show for the ball and do your best. It seems to have escaped notice that he was Tyrone's top scorer in the game, scoring twice as much as the next nearest scorer. It must be the high profile wides that attracted attention. At least he was getting and creating the chances, unlike most of the rest of the forwards. And for this they want him subbed.

Totally agree here Hardy, Mugsys movement was excellent - he was constantly making his trademark runs into the danger zones, showing for the ball and trying to make something happen. Things were not going well for him with respect to the shooting but I dont know who else Mickey could have introduced, unfortunately we dont have any one else in the same league as mugsy (with O'Neill obviously injured) in terms of a penetrating full forward line player. That is one of the problems with the panel at the moment, we lack a few incisive inside line mine with scoring potential to support O'Neill and Mugsy.
Harte has done a fantastic job and should be allowed to continue for as long as he sees fit. Like O'Neill says there will always be times we fans may question some of his decisions but that is the same as all walks of life you will never agree 100% with everyone on any given topic and this doesnt mean Harte doesnt recieve our support.
I feel he needs to freshen up the backroom team (like banty did in Monaghan) and change the style of play slightly. The core group of players is still good enough to compete at the highest level, hopefully over the coming months Harte will shake up the supporting cast a bit more than he has in the past few years and unearth a few more players capable of cutting it at the highest level.  Yes he can be very loyal but is also extremely single minded and ambitious - he will be thinking about next year already.
Personally I thought this year was doomed from the moment Brian got injured in Aghayarn - he is that important to this Tyrone team and the way they are set up. Its hard to know if he will ever return to play never mind to the level he was at and Harte needs to take that into account when planning for next year. I have no doubt he will.

armaghniac

QuoteAnd I also remember the depths of despair of the aftermath in the defeat to Sligo in Croke in '02 (and no disrespect to Sligo), t'was a much lower ebb for Tyrone football... or so it seemed!

A small measure of annoyance and the neighbours winning Sam helped get Tyrone going after 2002,  no doubt a Monaghan or Derry victory this year would help.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2007, 08:21:45 PM
You know where you can shove your apology.....

I was thinking of poking it up yer chanter ...

snappiered

Am very glad the Mickey is staying on. As i have said before no one else would do any better in my opinion. Since 1998 he has guided this group to 5 All Ireland titles (2 Senior, 2 U-21 and 1 Minor).
But looking ahead to next year I think the likes of Colm Cav, Justy Mc Mahon, Tommy Mc Guigan etc need to be blooded into the team.
There should also be no stone left unturned to find a reliable Full back. I really dont think we need another Mc Kenna cup either so keep the majority of our established players of the panel until at least early February. Let them rest and hopefully develop more hunger and it may result in them peaking at the Business end of 2008 - July, August, September.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome back a fully fit Dooher and O Neill as well as Brian Mc Guigan and Mickey Mc Gee. I still think Calvo should remain on the panel. Useful for 20mins. Would be a great sub. Also it is important that Enda Mc Ginley returns to form. His industry was a massive loss this year. He seemed to loss form but he is definately good enough and hope he can return with renewed vigour for 2008.
In concluding I think w still have the talent and the best man to harness this talent for 2008 is Mickey Harte

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agreed snappiered, and I think I was a bit harsh on Hughes earlier, especially given his massive performance in the Donegal game. He can still recover his old consistency, form and power I'd say, given a little space and time too.