Shane Ryan - Cheeky but decent

Started by Dinny Breen, August 07, 2007, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 12:18:58 PM

Anyone who thinks its acceptable to be parading in croke park for a photo op 5 days before an all ireland quarter final and it on prime time tv has a poor grasp of the preparation required for sport at this level. these battles are 90% mental at this stage of the championship and i've seen no evidence that the Dubs have improved in this area... the weakest part of their game in the last 5/6 years.

If it's mental prep you're on about - than the location of the event doesn't matter, nor the medium that carries it. Now you have Limerick hurles and Kerry footballers doing similair events, so I can presume you think/know that the players and managers of these teams have poor grasp of what preperation is required at this level?

Stop talking shite  ::)

Uladh

I don't hate the dubs per se but i do not like this current teams style of football nor attitude to the game. i think you'll find i have steered clear of all those dub bashing threads but this is something i feel strongly that they have gotten badly wrong under caffrey. the image and attitude you project has very little effect on your performance but huge effect on your opponents'. how do you think the mindset of an opponent changes when they watch videos of the dubs and finish with their derogatory antics towards opponents?

its something the two recently successful northern teams have gotten very right and can make a massive difference. two examples,
In the early stages of mickey harte's management, before people came to understand their gameplan, the myth was perpetuated that tyrone played some sort of "total football" like brazil of old. oppoents were hoodwinked into thinking tyrone just put their best 15 footballers on the field and played with abandon. teams thought they'd do the same and went out to attack and take tyrone on. when he sun rose and it dawned on them that tyrone werel eaving 2 deadly forwards in their opponents half in as much space as they could muster and counter attacking they were already 10 points down
armagh worked hard on propogating the image of the big strong bullies to the extent of having "friendly" journos writing articles in national papers on the subject. teams came to play armagh with the intention of standing up for themselves and invariably forgot about their football while armagh knew what was coming and stayed focussed on their job.

what are derry thinking going into this game?

Uladh

Quote from: stephenite on August 08, 2007, 12:27:52 PM
doesn't matter, nor the medium that carries it. Now you have Limerick hurles and Kerry footballers doing similair events, so I can presume you think/know that the players and managers of these teams have poor grasp of what preperation is required at this level?

Obviously

stephenite

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: stephenite on August 08, 2007, 12:27:52 PM
doesn't matter, nor the medium that carries it. Now you have Limerick hurles and Kerry footballers doing similair events, so I can presume you think/know that the players and managers of these teams have poor grasp of what preperation is required at this level?

Obviously

;D We'll find out soon enough I suppose

AZOffaly

QuoteI don't hate the dubs per se but i do not like this current teams style of football nor attitude to the game. i think you'll find i have steered clear of all those dub bashing threads but this is something i feel strongly that they have gotten badly wrong under caffrey. the image and attitude you project has very little effect on your performance but huge effect on your opponents'. how do you think the mindset of an opponent changes when they watch videos of the dubs and finish with their derogatory antics towards opponents?

With respect Uladh, that's a completely different topic to the one being discussed here. I'm not a big fan of the behaviour of SOME of the Dubs at SOME times during the games, nor am I a big fan (the opposite in fact) of this lark of walking to the hill like gladiators seeking approval or something.

If I were playing the Dubs, that stuff would add to my motivation to beat them, but wouldn't be the sole, or even a major, motivating factor.

Regardless, a picture of them doing some Charity work in the paper wouldn't make me incandescent with rage and determined to stick it down their throats either.

We all know the innovations regarding preparation that Armagh and Tyrone brought forward, and in effect the Dubs are a creation of that with their complete dedication towards their fitness levels and professional approach, Kerry and others have also stepped up to the mark on those fronts. This still has little to do with the issue of the photo shoot for Temple Street though.

No-one would , in their right mind, argue that mental preparation and focus are not huge factors in a teams sucess or failure but there is a time and a place. Practically every manager will tell his team to 'relax, take your mind off football for a few hours every day' etc etc. Otherwise you 'peak' mentally way too soon. These lads need to be coming to the boil, in terms of focus not temperment, at about 1 hour before throw in, any earlier and they get psyched into paralysis.

Hence, I believe that Paul Galvin, Paul Casey, Shane Ryan, Brian Geary, and whoever else was involved in these Charity Shoots yesterday or Monday will not be affected one iota come the weekend, and even a bit of 'out time' may be of benefit to them.

In conclusion, (at last I hear you say :D) I think you are placing too much emphasis on the events at Croker and in Limerick, in terms of the effect on preparation for a game.

Uladh

My point was not how it affects them...

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM
the image and attitude you project has very little effect on your performance but huge effect on your opponents'.

AZOffaly

And my initial point

QuoteWith respect Uladh, that's a completely different topic to the one being discussed here. I'm not a big fan of the behaviour of SOME of the Dubs at SOME times during the games, nor am I a big fan (the opposite in fact) of this lark of walking to the hill like gladiators seeking approval or something.

If I were playing the Dubs, that stuff would add to my motivation to beat them, but wouldn't be the sole, or even a major, motivating factor.

Regardless, a picture of them doing some Charity work in the paper wouldn't make me incandescent with rage and determined to stick it down their throats either.

Was that while the carry one before and during games at times might be a motivating factor, appearing in a charity photo shoot is not. ( I do believe however, that you *also* said that them doing this was not ideal preparation for a game, and you implied that their heads would not be right.)

Graham Garrity

Uladh did you also object to Mc Geeney releasing the song with the kids with special needs last year?

take_yer_points

Ok Uladh, so Donaghy and Cooper are asked to come to Dublin for this photo shoot.
But it would take all day to get from Kerry to Dublin and back

[/quote]

Not to mention the meals they'd have to pay for, the fuel, the kids!!

oops - wrong thread!  ;)

his holiness nb

Given the "carry on" of the Dublin boys AND Paul Galvin can I presume Uladhs mortage is going onto a Derry / Monaghan double this weekend?  ;)

Incidentally Dinny, classis thread title, gave me a right old laugh  :)
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM
I don't hate the dubs per se but i do not like this current teams style of football nor attitude to the game. i think you'll find i have steered clear of all those dub bashing threads but this is something i feel strongly that they have gotten badly wrong under caffrey. the image and attitude you project has very little effect on your performance but huge effect on your opponents'. how do you think the mindset of an opponent changes when they watch videos of the dubs and finish with their derogatory antics towards opponents?

its something the two recently successful northern teams have gotten very right and can make a massive difference. two examples,
In the early stages of mickey harte's management, before people came to understand their gameplan, the myth was perpetuated that tyrone played some sort of "total football" like brazil of old. oppoents were hoodwinked into thinking tyrone just put their best 15 footballers on the field and played with abandon. teams thought they'd do the same and went out to attack and take tyrone on. when he sun rose and it dawned on them that tyrone werel eaving 2 deadly forwards in their opponents half in as much space as they could muster and counter attacking they were already 10 points down
armagh worked hard on propogating the image of the big strong bullies to the extent of having "friendly" journos writing articles in national papers on the subject. teams came to play armagh with the intention of standing up for themselves and invariably forgot about their football while armagh knew what was coming and stayed focussed on their job.

what are derry thinking going into this game?
This would be the 2 northern teams who are now out of the competition?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Uladh

Quote from: Graham Garrity on August 08, 2007, 01:50:31 PM
Uladh did you also object to Mc Geeney releasing the song with the kids with special needs last year?

was that 5 days before an all ireland quarter final?

Graham Garrity

No it was aimed at the Christmas number 1 market? ::)

his holiness nb

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: Graham Garrity on August 08, 2007, 01:50:31 PM

was that 5 days before an all ireland quarter final?

So is the mortgage on Derry and Monaghan so?
Ask me holy bollix

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThis would be the 2 northern teams who are now out of the competition?

Beat me to it.

Mental preparation is important, no doubt, but perhaps you can go too far. Intense mental focus is hard to
keep up. Perhaps if Armagh took more time to smell the roses they might have more than one AI.