Shane Ryan - Cheeky but decent

Started by Dinny Breen, August 07, 2007, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: rrhf on August 08, 2007, 10:47:52 AM
posticulating

That's a brilliant word, rrhf.

It sounds like what Vaughan was doing after he scored against Laois.

If it's not in the dictionary, it should be.

Uladh

The cause is of course a very deserving one. that is not the point. there is a time and a place for this type of work.

are there many charity photo calls of roy keane days before a champions league quarter final? or of armstrong a few days before le tour starts?

this is a national cause. where are the photos of cork, derry, monaghan, meath and kerry players? i'll tell you... pat o'se and the rest said "that's great lads, leave it til next monday and we'll take the whole team down for ye."

are you trying to tell me that millstone casey is better for PR than Donaghy or Geraghty? no. they simply have more cop on

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 11:24:20 AM
are you trying to tell me that millstone casey is better for PR than Donaghy or Geraghty? no. they simply have more cop on

The key question: has any one of these lads, or lads in an identical position, been asked to do such a charity photo-shoot and actually declined?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Uladh

thats very naive fear if you don't mind me saying. of course... county players get these requests on a weekly basis and some far more often than that

Fear ón Srath Bán

But requests for such a worthy cause, and with such a high profile Uladh? Of course there are all kinds of requests, but there are requests and there are requests. And think of the alternative headlines: Dublin Stars Decline Photo-Shoot for Dying Kids!

Uladh

They wouldn't be denying the request by arranging it for next monday

Fear ón Srath Bán

Easier said than done I'd say, with everything else in place. They're victims of their (not unfavourable) circumstances to a degree, Dublin being Dublin, and the whirligig of hype and publicity that automatically goes with that, but which may ultimately be their undoing as it has been in past years. Not much they can do about it though as individuals.

Croí na hÉireann

Can see both sides of the argument here, don't think it'll have much of a bearing on the match though.

Off-topic here: Half-time in the Wexford-Kilkenny game on Sunday, the Cork and Waterford hurlers were out on the pitch at the Hoganstand tunnel. A fan in the crowd caught the eye of Dan the Man and jestured with his programme and pen, he politely put the hand up to say no and averted his gaze, fan didn't seem too put out and we all know what Dan went on to do.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

easytiger

Of course Uladh, if you just followed you own chain of logic, you'd realise that the reason Dublin players appear more in photoshoots than other players and get more requests than other players is that all the national media outlets are based in Dublin - so it is actually easier for them to organise and arrange a shoot with Dubs than having a guy come from down the country. That is the basic reason for it.

Now of course that doesn't mean they have to accept every offer going - but if someone asks you to help out a charity and give a couple of sick kids a thrill by meeting them, what are you going to say? Do you honestly think Donaghy (who, by the way, was eulogised by the press last year for his willingness to make himself available in the run up to big games) would say no? Do you think Canavan, or McGeeney or whoever else would say no?

Of course, you could just be trying to make a cheap point. Don't mind about the fact you are denigrating a good cause to "monkey suits and camogs" in the process.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Uladh on August 08, 2007, 11:31:12 AM

thats very naive fear if you don't mind me saying. of course... county players get these requests on a weekly basis and some far more often than that

Ok Uladh, so Donaghy and Cooper are asked to come to Dublin for this photo shoot.
But it would take all day to get from Kerry to Dublin and back, and having a big match at the weekend they decline, fair enough.
The Dublin players however live within a few minutes of Croke park so it only takes a tiny fraction of their day to pop over and do the good deed.

Also given that the event took place in Dublin, for a hospital based in Dublin, and as ye all love to remind us, the hype in the media is through the roof about the Dublin team, do you not think it more likely that Dublin players would be asked to do these things?
Nothing to do with who is a better player, its about the media.
And for once these Dubs are using the media Hype to do a good deed.
Jesus christ, call it what it is, a nice thing to do.

Regarding the hype being Dublins undoing over the past years, I think the team hasnt been good enough, simple as that.
Ye keep reminding us that they arent a great team, so how is it the hypes fault then when we dont do the biz?
Ye cant have it both ways.
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

I can see it now cheeky dubs refuse to take time out to help sick children cue 1000 page thread and a special edition of the indo deicated to this outrage ::) ::) ::) ::).

Rock hard  -> Shane  Ryan <- Hard Place
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

In all fairness this is getting ridiculous. Some of ye will have me feeling sorry for the Dubs soon if ye keep going on and on and on about the slightest little thing.

stephenite

Paul Galvin was involved in some type of thing in a disadvantaged Limerick community, along with Brian Begley a couple of Munster rubgy heads etc. It's in in todays examiner, so Kerry players do get involved in this type of thing in the days leading up to a quarter final

Uladh

As i've said several times now, the cause is a very worthy one, that is not the point. don'tthrow that up again.

Anthony Lynch, Kiern McGeeney and many more country folk live in the big smoke. meath is 15 minutes away. access is not the issue.

Anyone who thinks its acceptable to be parading in croke park for a photo op 5 days before an all ireland quarter final and it on prime time tv has a poor grasp of the preparation required for sport at this level. these battles are 90% mental at this stage of the championship and i've seen no evidence that the Dubs have improved in this area... the weakest part of their game in the last 5/6 years.

AZOffaly

Don't be so condescending Uladh. You are exaggerating what the lads did on Tuesday to somehow validate a point scoring exercise against the Dubs. If you think that helping out that charity on Tuesday will have *any* impact on how the Dubs do at the weekend, then it is you who fail to understand the thought process and focus required. Everyone needs to switch off at some point, and that is acknowledged by far greater competitive minds than ours.

Or do you think the lads shouldn't go to work either?

As has been mentioned above, the Limerick hurlers, and Paul Galvin were involved in another photo shoot which appears in todays paper. Are they also completely out of tune with the preparations required?

Admit it, it's just that you can't stand to see any publicity at all about the Dubs :D