Pick Your All Stars

Started by thejuice, August 06, 2007, 10:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

So its getting to the end of the season, who do think are the likely nominees for the various awards??

Meath contenders would be Stephan Bray, Darren Fay, Mark Ward(?)

Of course Player Of The Year: Graham Gerathy  :P
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

What the hell Juice?????
No Moylesy? ???
King is now playing his way into contention as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Loup Bandit

Always throws up a lot of debate with chat of the All-Stars!

Corks Nicolas Murphy is well placed, his aerial ability is unreal!

Enda Muldoon wont be far away, hope I dont put the scud on him now though.

Bray should be there too. Moyles although not at his best on saturday has shown his versatility well, wont be too far away.

ONeill

Will Tyrone get a provincial champions vote? I'd doubt it. Dooher, maybe, on the strength of one momumental performance.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

I'd say Gormley is Tyrones best bet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

jungle

Darren Fay and monaghans Coary in with a big shout.

ONeill

The meeja love oul hands who show glimpses of former glories. Fay, on the strength of last Saturday, is odds-on. Geraghty is heading that way.

A few weeks ago, during the Paddy Bradley saga, I asked LS for a price on a Bradley All-Star. Wish I'd taken it now. If he performs at all on Saturday (0-6+) he has it, especially with Masters possibly sidelined for the rest of the campaign.

Freeman
Farrell
Bray

Sligo?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2007, 10:59:20 AM
Will Tyrone get a provincial champions vote? I'd doubt it. Dooher, maybe, on the strength of one momumental performance.

Don't think a team should get an allstar with only one good performance.

My Allstars at the minute would be

Murphy (Meath)
McGoldrick (Derry)
Fay (Meath)
Henry (Dublin)
Freeman (Monaghan)
Cullen (Dublin)
O'Sé (Kerry)
Whelan (Dublin)
Murphy (Cork)
Muldoon (Derry)
Cooper (Kerry)
Masters (Cork)
Bray (Meath)
Keaney (Dublin)
Freeman (Monaghan)

So far this is how I would rate the Allstar team... having said that Kerry haven't played well so far and I would expect a few more in there.

For GK you could maybe have Cluxton by the end of the cship.
Not even sure if O'Sé merits a WHB slot but I can't think of any outstanding WHB's in this year's cship apart from D. Freeman.
Murphy could be edged out of MF with another good performance from D. O'Sé.
Struggling for Half Forwards and there is an abundance of quality FF';s so I decided to do a bit of tinkering. At the minute Masters is tops scorer so he gets in although I wouldn't fsancy him to get one especially as he's missing the next match.

Other than that I think it's close enough so far... would be interested to see what anyone else thinks.

STREET FIGHTER

I notice screen that you have left Paddy B out? Was that a mistake because they'll need him to win anything this year. think he's due one if he puts the work in

screenexile

Just going on what has happened so far... if Paddy B puts in a stormer against the Dubs he's probably a shoe in but let's be honest he hasn't been at his usual best (which I think has actually helped Derry as we tend to use more options than maybe we did previously but that's another topic)... as for the FB slot I'm maybe being hard on McCloy but I think what Oneill says about the old hands will ring true especially as Fay is pretty much guaranteed an All Ireland appearance.

burn the hurl

How you perform in Croke Park from the Quarters on generally has a big baring on who will be picking up the all stars at the end of the year.  Of coarse the eventual winners will have the majority of the winners so it would be dangerous to discount any of the Kerry contenders.

Darren Fays performance on saturday will have put him in pole position for Full Back although I think Kevin McCloy might stake a strong claim this weekend should Derry edge out the Dubs!

Nicholas Murphy looks likely to pick up one of the Mid field slots while Cavenagh looks to have missed the boat this time!

Bray has been a class act all year - bar Saturday's 2nd half - a big game against Cork should secure him one.

I'm predicting a Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final so i'd expect to see Masters (fitness pending), Declan O'Sullivan, Canty from Cork and Daragh O'Se, Eoin Brosnan, Gooch from Kerry.

Its a pretty strong year so far - also strong contenders at this stage have to be Thomas Freeman, Muldoon, Bradley (long over due one by now!!!!!), Damien Freeman, Keaney, Murphy or Cluxton for Goals!

Again alot of the above will be decided on their performances at head quarters in the next few weeks!!

stephenite

All Star selections are notorious for recognising at least one player from a team that has made a monumental breakthrough - so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Sligo player in there, ginger haired corner back maybe, defintley a nomination at least

imtommygunn

On the subject of Fay I suspect he will be in an AI final. If the Kerry - Meath match materialises, which I think it will, his battle against Donaghy should be a great one.

With the all stars so far Bray is a cert so far, Masters most likely would have been but hard to say what will happen now. Gormley should really get one too. The man looked like he could barely walk on saturday and he still curbed Bray. Freeman should really get one - but he'll probably need a big game against Kerry to cement this. Kerry should have them in O'Mahoney who has been very good and Cooper. O'Se in midfield could get one if he gets fit but he looks like he's ate a few too many pies just at the minute. Murphy was superb on saturday so I'd expect him to get one. Moyles I'm not sure about but Geraghty I would expect to get one.

Shoe ins so far:
Gormley
Bray
Geraghty
Murphy
Gooch
O'Mahoney

Strong possibilities:
Masters
Freeman
Keaney
Henry
Lockhart(based on what I read but haven't really seen much of him)

AZOffaly

I with those who think it's too early in the football. Kerry haven't been really at full pelt yet, and with at least 5 games left, there'll be a lot of big performances. So far though, I would think that Darren Fay, Stephen Bray, Sean Marty Lockhart, Nicholas Murphy, Mark Vaughan and Conal Keaney are going well. I'd expect Donaghy to have to play to that level if Kerry are to win the AI, and probably the likes of Darragh O'Se, Paul Galvin, Marc O'Sé and a couple of others as well.

James Masters has been going well, but if his jaw is broken, he'll probably be overtaken.

fer fox ache

Wastre of time picking these now, Allstars are weighted 80 per cent in what happens from teh quarter-finals on we're still waiting on two of those plus the semi-finals and final. If Fay were tro get cleaned out by Cussen (unlikely) he'll have blown it same for anybody at this stage