Coaching drills for children - (u10 to u14)

Started by PlayWithTheWind, August 05, 2007, 10:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayWithTheWind

looking good drills that will not only teach children the basics in football and hurling but also keep them entertained. would be greatful
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

PlayWithTheWind

just flicking through that link there, i feel most of them drills r aimed at senior players. im looking baisic drills that kidswill understand, enjoy and learn.

darbyo

Check out the aussie rules web site or type in "coaching drills for kids" in any ball sport. Not everything will suit but you'll definately find drills and mini games that you can adapt to football or hurling. I do a lot of u8 - u12 football coaching and the most important thing for 10 - 14 year olds is to focus on the basics of the games i.e control, distribution and carrying of the ball with but left and right. The mistake most coaches make at this level is to think that they have to address all the skills, your u10's have 8 /9 years before their even 18 so focus on the main skills and develope them, not every skill. play plenty of games, even non-football/hurling games, for example tag or dodge ball improve balance and movement as well as ball skills. If you can't find some ideas on the web on the sites I suggested send me a PM and I will send you on some of the stuff I have, a lot of it is very good.

PlayWithTheWind

id be greatful of any stuff you can pass on.

was talkin to a coach last week, he told me balls skills etc is not important, whats most importand is getting kids to be able to run correctly, in a straight line etc. at that age, this is more important. but you know what kids are like, they just want to play games and enjoy themselves.

Datsun Donaghy

The Ulster Council have a Fundamentals Book and CD.
The CD is interactive, ie it takes you through a range of drills / activities using short video clips and written comments. It is a great resource for ideas which you can copy or adapt to suit your group.

darbyo

Your friend is correct but you can do this through games also. For example during the warm up I get the kids to run/stop/turn/change direction on my command and these are all skills that need to be taught. I'll give you an example of the early part of one of my sessions:
Without the ball kids weave between poles from both sides on the way out, on the way back they side step cones, again from both sides (repeat a number of times). Now introduce a ball, first get them to solo or bounce(depending on the age) out to the last cone and hand pass to next team mate, develop to where they are weaving between the poles and sidestepping the cones with the ball(again depending on their age, this might be too advanced for younger kids).
Now play a game of dodge ball where kids have to hit other kids below the waist by hand passing, a successful hit puts the child out but if he catches it the attacker is out. So now all your warm up has worked on the childs movement, soloing, handpassing, catching and kicking all before you start doing your actual drills. How can I get some of the drills and games I have on to you?

darbyo

PWTW I've sent that stuff off to you, if you don't get it let me know and I'll try again

robertemmet

YOu can get coaching information at http://ulster.gaa.ie

Also www.derrygaa.ie and go to the coaching section where you will find Coaching tips