GAA Childhood Heroes

Started by thejuice, August 03, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

originaly from reading his book
Mick O'connell a true legend who only ever did things his way.  And from the bits of footage ive seen of him he was and  would be now untouchable .

Also for one day only Balla's Willy Nally did more to inspire a love of the game than any other player . V galway 81? A GOD
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Mayo team in 96/97, despite not winning gave me some memorable days out! Knockmore were strong then as well so most of the heroes were from the Knockmore team.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Frank Casey

Ogie Moran. Eight Celtic Crosses in the one position. No comparison.
KERRY 3:7

muppet

High or Low - Willie Joe.

As the meeja said at the time he was the Last of the Mohicans (actually they said last of the Folk-Heroes).

Got to train with Mayo once and would only pass to WJP even if it meant passing backwards.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

what club did you play for muppett
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

FL/MAYO

Quote from: rosnarun on August 08, 2007, 02:53:48 PM
Mick O'connell a true legend who only ever did things his way.  And from the bits of footage ive seen of him he was and  would be now untouchable .

Also for one day only Balla's Willy Nally did more to inspire a love of the game than any other player . V galway 81? A GOD

I was also at that game in 81, he caught some balls that day. I remember it well as I was hitching a lift back home after the game when a car stopped in Balla, I jumped in only to realise that there was 3 of the Mayo team in it, they did not stop to pick me up but to drop someone off, so I shared the car with Nally, Garvey and JP Kean after Mayo's first Connaught final in years....sure they could not throw me out once I was in. Times sure have changed. Nally was as good as Padden in his day at catching the high ball.

dodo

I think the Mayo Gaels savages will be very upset about this !
Was also at the game but Willie played damn all for mayo after this. Still looks fit enough to play county.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 11, 2007, 11:43:50 AM

I was also at that game in 81, he caught some balls that day. I remember it well as I was hitching a lift back home after the game when a car stopped in Balla, I jumped in only to realise that there was 3 of the Mayo team in it, they did not stop to pick me up but to drop someone off, so I shared the car with Nally, Garvey and JP Kean after Mayo's first Connaught final in years....sure they could not throw me out once I was in. Times sure have changed. Nally was as good as Padden in his day at catching the high ball.

Nice story Fl/mayo , what would the attendances have been at the connaught final in 81
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

FL/MAYO

I would say it was around 20000, the place was not full if I remember correctly. It was a good game though, Nally lorded it at midfield, the ball just stuck to his hands.

muppet

Quotewhat club did you play for muppett

Mitchels. In 1989 Johnno liked to have 15 v 15 games in training so he'd send up for 4,5, 6 or whatever to make up the numbers. We would normally mark each other. Great for a teenager though to be calling for the ball from your heroes. Sometimes they even passed! 
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on August 11, 2007, 01:39:39 PM
Quotewhat club did you play for muppett

Mitchels. In 1989 Johnno liked to have 15 v 15 games in training so he'd send up for 4,5, 6 or whatever to make up the numbers. We would normally mark each other. Great for a teenager though to be calling for the ball from your heroes. Sometimes they even passed! 

were you part of the mitchels team that got to the all ireland club final?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

muppet

To many questions Rover  ;)
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on August 11, 2007, 02:47:55 PM
To many questions Rover  ;)

fair enough muppett :D its just that i was part of the panel that lost to the mitchels in 1993 in Ballina when John Maughan was cente Back for ye, Tom reilly scored a goal that killed us he was a fierce handy footballer
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

muppet

Great player, was injured for 1989 when he might have made a real difference. Played in the final replay in 1996 when he was past his best but he made a dramatic entry!
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

i don't know you anyway can't recall any muppets ever playing for the mitchels ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers