DO U THINK WINDSOR PARK IS INTIMIDATING FOR CATHOLICS?

Started by mooncatiii, August 03, 2007, 01:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DO YOU THINK WINDSOR PARK AND SURROUNDING AREA IS INTIMIDATING FOR CATHOLICS?

YES
NO

uimhr ocht

I was merely pointing out the acid test would be when the republic played the north at windsor park present day, it would see if they have turned over a new leaf on sectarianism,nationalism,inclusion,etc,even present day i have my doubts!

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2016, 02:53:30 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 11, 2016, 02:38:20 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on October 11, 2016, 11:48:40 AM
A very close friend of mines was at it and he said he never in his life felt such naked sectarian hate. He said that he actually feared for his life if the people around had of known he was a catholic. He went on to explain how this one republic supporter manage to get a ticket in the area he was in and jumped and celebrated when the republic scored their goal, he got the shite beat out of him.

Well if you can take things back 13 years ago: I got abused and attacked by some of Jackie's Army in Dublin City centre. The greatest fans in the world took issue with me being a "bog-trotter" because I was wearing a Clare hurling jersey.

I wasn't in Windsor in 1993 but I think a stadium being intimidating isn't all about sectarianism.  One Republic player wrote in his autobiography about the massive celebrations when Jimmy Quinn scored his goal.  I am sure there was sectarianism on view but when people seem to have the hump that they didn't want to roll over to neighbours and rivals it belittles the overall argument.

No idea what it is like there today but one's instinct is to suspect it is better when detractors leap to a 13 year old incident.

/Jim.

In fairness you deserved it for that!

Indeed and I thought of just typing GAA jersey but went with full disclosure.  To these lads I think any GAA jersey was as culchie as the next one (even a Dublin one I suspect)

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: BennyCake on October 11, 2016, 10:24:53 AM
There was only room for one token taig - Dennis Taylor.

I don't know why people are getting upset over this. It's like a catholic being upset for not being invited to the Orange Order's AGM. Why the feck would ye want to be there?!

Dunno about that.  Had a look online and I see that Jenning, Donaghy, Holmes were there so it wasn't a Kafflick thing. Also as rugby and boxers (Frampton was one) attended it means that representing "Ireland" doesn't seem to be the thing.

His only potential gripe is that he is more famous than the two wimmin paraolympians and that they got there for being Team GB.....  Frankly a little tenuous and more than a little egotistical looking at it.

Last two pages have thrown up this and a 13 year old story of a fan getting a kicking when surrounded by rival fans at a sawker match.   I'd wager that Queen's Counsel Brolly would have this one fired out of court in jig time. M'Lud.

/Jim.

T Fearon

Never mind the IFA what about the FAI requiring its Northern based fans to register under "United Kingdom?"

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2016, 02:53:30 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 11, 2016, 02:38:20 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on October 11, 2016, 11:48:40 AM
A very close friend of mines was at it and he said he never in his life felt such naked sectarian hate. He said that he actually feared for his life if the people around had of known he was a catholic. He went on to explain how this one republic supporter manage to get a ticket in the area he was in and jumped and celebrated when the republic scored their goal, he got the shite beat out of him.

Well if you can take things back 13 years ago: I got abused and attacked by some of Jackie's Army in Dublin City centre. The greatest fans in the world took issue with me being a "bog-trotter" because I was wearing a Clare hurling jersey.

I wasn't in Windsor in 1993 but I think a stadium being intimidating isn't all about sectarianism.  One Republic player wrote in his autobiography about the massive celebrations when Jimmy Quinn scored his goal.  I am sure there was sectarianism on view but when people seem to have the hump that they didn't want to roll over to neighbours and rivals it belittles the overall argument.

No idea what it is like there today but one's instinct is to suspect it is better when detractors leap to a 13 year old incident.

/Jim.

In fairness you deserved it for that!
Might have been the Clare shout that clinched it

stew

I think the Northern body are trying very hard to rid themselves of the scum  element of their support and to a great degree they have succeeded.

93 was horrific, I think the fans now are much more aware of the need to behave themselves and not let the side down, the supporters clubs have been working very hard to rid the support of the scumbags.

I won't be going to Windsor anytime soon but I think,progress has been made and I tip my cap to them for that.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jeepers Creepers

The middle class swathes that have swarmed to 'Windsor Park at the National Stadium' has also been a reason a lot of the Loyalist element have gone. There must be work getting done somewhere as the number of young lads in Northern Ireland training gear knocking about the West is something that was unheard of a number of years ago.

imtommygunn

Quote from: stew on October 11, 2016, 07:36:34 PM
I think the Northern body are trying very hard to rid themselves of the scum  element of their support and to a great degree they have succeeded.

93 was horrific, I think the fans now are much more aware of the need to behave themselves and not let the side down, the supporters clubs have been working very hard to rid the support of the scumbags.

I won't be going to Windsor anytime soon but I think,progress has been made and I tip my cap to them for that.

I would agree with that. There are still knuckle draggers but there is effort going in and that is a start.

snoopdog

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 11, 2016, 08:14:52 PM
The middle class swathes that have swarmed to 'Windsor Park at the National Stadium' has also been a reason a lot of the Loyalist element have gone. There must be work getting done somewhere as the number of young lads in Northern Ireland training gear knocking about the West is something that was unheard of a number of years ago.
It's bandwagon because they got to the euros. It will soon die down.

Milltown Row2

Wrong snoopdog

Lot of kids are getting a chance at youth level which is generating this interest..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2016, 08:38:05 PM

Wrong snoopdog

Lot of kids are getting a chance at youth level which is generating this interest..
where they not given the chance 20 years ago?

general_lee

Go to Windsor park on a Saturday and see how comfortable you feel when home club are playing. I sat in the family section and heard nothing but sectarian abuse directed at Cliftonville manager (at the time) Tommy Breslin. The fact that the IFA turned down the Maze prison site and instead chose to continue funding one of the more toxic clubs in local football means that no amount of "grassroots outreach" will make up for their inherent sectarian leanings, that's not forgetting the English national anthem and accompanying Loyalist flag.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: snoopdog on October 11, 2016, 08:56:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2016, 08:38:05 PM

Wrong snoopdog

where they not given the chance 20 years ago?

20 years ago hmmmmm now did you live on the Falls 20 years ago? Peace process just on, people still at odds with each other, loyalist gangs and dissidents killing and blowing people up, not exactly the right time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ashman

Bad result out of the way tonight for Ireland but other results went OK for us .  Second all to play for here .

Bazil Douglas

Quote from: general_lee on October 11, 2016, 09:08:41 PM
Go to Windsor park on a Saturday and see how comfortable you feel when home club are playing. I sat in the family section and heard nothing but sectarian abuse directed at Cliftonville manager (at the time) Tommy Breslin. The fact that the IFA turned down the Maze prison site and instead chose to continue funding one of the more toxic clubs in local football means that no amount of "grassroots outreach" will make up for their inherent sectarian leanings, that's not forgetting the English national anthem and accompanying Loyalist flag.

Absolutely 100% on the money there. Was always a sectarian cesspit, you can dress the pig up put perfume and lipstick on it,  but it will always be the pig.