TG4

Started by bottlethrower7, August 02, 2007, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottlethrower7

tut, tut. Showing some soccer friendly instead of the munster under-21 hurling final last night, relegating the hurling to a slot after 10pm. I'm surprised at them. I really thought they had their priorities right.

They're no better than RTE really. God forbid they ever got the rights to show the senior championship games and one of them clashed with an inter-toto cup game between Sunderland and Levski Sofia. The hoppers on the latest bandwagon in Ireland have to be looked after before GAA people.

tayto

Yea, very poor form, sunderfuckinland, jesus wept who int heir right mind gives a toss about sunderfuckinland.

bottlethrower7

they put their main GAA commentator on the game too. For shame.

GalwayBayBoy

Lads TG4 have been televising games for years that nobody else bothers showing. Just because they show something else for once it's no reason to jump straight down their throats in fairness. They were advertising all the Sunderland friendlies live for weeks now.

If ye watched TG4 any time apart from when a match was on ye would have known this. ;D

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 02, 2007, 12:37:55 PMIf ye watched TG4 any time apart from when a match was on ye would have known this. ;D
I couldn't understand what they were saying - them mexicans have wild accents!

cicfada

You'd swear that Irish speakers could only watch GAA games the way ye're talking here!!Cop on for fucks sake!What harm is there in showing  the odd soccer match on TG4?They will have the coverage of the club championship, U21 and league to keep us happy!if it wasn't for TG4 those competitions would not be shown!They had contracted to show these 3 soccer mathvches way before the Munster U21 matches were  arranged anyway!Now that they are independent of RTE, they will find it hard to compete against RTE and Setanta especially to show any GAA matches in the not- too distant future!When ye are complaining about paying pay-per-view to Setanta for GAA coverage ( and it will happen)  then think back to this trivial matter!!

tayto

Quote from: cicfada on August 02, 2007, 11:26:25 PM
You'd swear that Irish speakers could only watch GAA games the way ye're talking here!!Cop on for fucks sake!What harm is there in showing  the odd soccer match on TG4?They will have the coverage of the club championship, U21 and league to keep us happy!if it wasn't for TG4 those competitions would not be shown!They had contracted to show these 3 soccer mathvches way before the Munster U21 matches were  arranged anyway!Now that they are independent of RTE, they will find it hard to compete against RTE and Setanta especially to show any GAA matches in the not- too distant future!When ye are complaining about paying pay-per-view to Setanta for GAA coverage ( and it will happen)  then think back to this trivial matter!!

nothing to do with being anti soccer ... mind you ...  sunderland .. i mean ... come off it!  :P

Yer gonna show the u21s? great, then show it! dont let some pointless challenge match get in the way. otherwise they don't deserve to have the rights to the u21 championships for much longer! sorry, they've provided a great service but they need to keep it up!

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

In fairness to TG4 they do a great job in covering the GAA matches, compared to RTE who are really only interested in the championship as a money spinner. Any word where the Derry V Dublin game will be, I know if Antrim had won the game was going to be fixed for Pairc Esler in Newry (the club had already been contacted), not sure if that is still the case though?

Lecale2

I believe there is an agreement in place with Croke Park around using Newry for national fixtures. It was a condition of the grant apparently. My guess is this semi final will be in Newry.

tayto

Quote from: Pull Hard Hes No Relation on August 03, 2007, 08:01:22 AM
In fairness to TG4 they do a great job in covering the GAA matches, compared to RTE who are really only interested in the championship as a money spinner. Any word where the Derry V Dublin game will be, I know if Antrim had won the game was going to be fixed for Pairc Esler in Newry (the club had already been contacted), not sure if that is still the case though?

Yes they have provided and contunie to provide good coverage, however how can you have a dig at RTE for showing only the championship in the same post as trying to defend TG4 for showing a pre season frendly involving the latest irish sporting bandwagon.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: tayto on August 03, 2007, 01:56:05 AM
nothing to do with being anti soccer ... mind you ...  sunderland .. i mean ... come off it!  :P

Yer gonna show the u21s? great, then show it! dont let some pointless challenge match get in the way. otherwise they don't deserve to have the rights to the u21 championships for much longer! sorry, they've provided a great service but they need to keep it up!

exactly, what he said. We're talking about dropping an under-21 Munster FINAL for some poxy challenge match. Who cares what sport it is.

I suppose it says more about how little a clue many Irish people have about what sport is about and what following a team is about. I'm sure TG4 probably got more viewers for that rubbish than they would have for the hurling. And I guess its not their fault. It is still very disappointing though. They were the shining light for so long with their GAA coverage, but this just puts them in RTEs league, which is a terrible, terrible shame.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteThey were the shining light for so long with their GAA coverage, but this just puts them in RTEs league, which is a terrible, terrible shame.

You're being a bit melodramatic there. It's not like they didn't show the U-21 game at all. It was just deferred coverage. For anyone who wanted to watch the U-21 game it wouldn't have been difficult to avoid hearing the result for an hour or two. After all the years of TG4 covering games that nobody else bothers with I think we can cut them a bit of slack.

tayto

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 03, 2007, 01:51:57 PM
QuoteThey were the shining light for so long with their GAA coverage, but this just puts them in RTEs league, which is a terrible, terrible shame.

You're being a bit melodramatic there. It's not like they didn't show the U-21 game at all. It was just deferred coverage. For anyone who wanted to watch the U-21 game it wouldn't have been difficult to avoid hearing the result for an hour or two. After all the years of TG4 covering games that nobody else bothers with I think we can cut them a bit of slack.

Well okay fair enough but just so long as this isnt a sign of things to come. The competition for rights, all rights, is sure to hot up over the next few years.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: tayto on August 03, 2007, 03:30:13 PM
Well okay fair enough but just so long as this isnt a sign of things to come. The competition for rights, all rights, is sure to hot up over the next few years.

whether it is or isn't, its still bad form. Especially in the week between the 2 encounters between the same countys' senior sides. If anything they'd have had even more watching the hurling last night than if it was, say, a week or 2 before. Whatever way you look at it, its a serious black mark for TG4.

tayto

Dear god, i just read that the Irish times are having a weekly column called "A Year in Sunderland" ... following the fortunes of Sunderland for the upcoming season.

What is it about Irish sporting bandwagons that they're so vomit inducing?