Is the Northern GAA really offering gaelic games to our protestant neighbours

Started by Maximus Marillius, August 02, 2007, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

What rules need to be changed for them to play ?

I'd say that given time ( like 20 years ) they may play ok - but what's stopping them at the minute ? Bigotry ? The fact that we've been divided for 100's of years ? Foreign sports ?

Tankie

Quote from: orangeman on August 03, 2007, 10:28:24 AM

I'd say that given time ( like 20 years ) they may play ok - but what's stopping them at the minute ? Bigotry ? The fact that we've been divided for 100's of years ? Foreign sports ?

we they are not rule changes to the games itself but thing like the flying of the tri - colour, singing the Irish national athem etc.. sure the unionists in the Irish Rugby team needed a song wrote for them and i cant see that happening!
Grand Slam Saturday!

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tankie on August 03, 2007, 10:47:36 AM

we they are not rule changes to the games itself but thing like the flying of the tri - colour, singing the Irish national athem etc.. sure the unionists in the Irish Rugby team needed a song wrote for them and i cant see that happening!

Why start writing new anthems? Do the logical thing and stop singing any anthems or flying any flags at our games. They are only symbols and do we really need them to make us feel more irish? Some people may not like it but it would be a small sacrifice to make if it is seen as a welcome gesture to Protestants to attend matches and play Gaelic games.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Tankie

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 10:54:14 AM

Why start writing new anthems? Do the logical thing and stop singing any anthems or flying any flags at our games. They are only symbols and do we really need them to make us feel more irish? Some people may not like it but it would be a small sacrifice to make if it is seen as a welcome gesture to Protestants to attend matches and play Gaelic games.

I would not be inn favour of that, it wouldnt bother me if we didnt sing or fly flags but i would not be in favour of doing it just so unionist can feel at home, the reason i say this is i dont think they would play anyway. Sure if we ask the soccer lads to allow us pick up the ball and kick it we could all play soccer ;D

also as i'm not from the north and i do not know but is the problem not with the people? if people dont talk to each other in general i dont think making changes to the GAA will get many members from the unionist side?
Grand Slam Saturday!

orangeman

The rugby boys got a song made for them - but they still sing the Soldiers song and fly the tricolour in Dublin. Why stop that ? Just so that you keep a few rugby / soccer people happy ?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do !

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tankie on August 03, 2007, 11:00:38 AM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 10:54:14 AM

I would not be inn favour of that, it wouldnt bother me if we didnt sing or fly flags but i would not be in favour of doing it just so unionist can feel at home, the reason i say this is i dont think they would play anyway. Sure if we ask the soccer lads to allow us pick up the ball and kick it we could all play soccer ;D

also as i'm not from the north and i do not know but is the problem not with the people? if people dont talk to each other in general i dont think making changes to the GAA will get many members from the unionist side?

Most people do speak to each other and I know loads of Protestants that are big GAA fans. When Fermanagh got to the All Ireland Semi Final in 2004 I know people from staunch Unionist families that attended the game. They have said to me that the flying of the flag and anthem and naming of GAA grounds after Irish Rebels prevented many Protestants from attending the games. Removing this symbolic irishness may not have immediate success but small steps and all that..
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Stay goalside of your man

Why do we have to bend over backwards to try and accommodate these people.
The GAA is an Irish sport played by Irish people.
Don't forget why the GAA was set up for in the first place.

I have an English in-law who attends games when he visits during the summer and he doesn't take offence at all to the flags etc.
People who complain about the flags, national anthem etc have some political agenda and they take pot shots at the GAA because it is high profile.

Gnevin

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on August 03, 2007, 11:52:42 AM
Why do we have to bend over backwards to try and accommodate these people.
The GAA is an Irish sport played by Irish people.
Don't forget why the GAA was set up for in the first place.

I have an English in-law who attends games when he visits during the summer and he doesn't take offence at all to the flags etc.
People who complain about the flags, national anthem etc have some political agenda and they take pot shots at the GAA because it is high profile.
We'll all get very far with this not an inch not a mile attitude, Losing the flag and the anthem would be very small changes which like when the IFRU did it would should a willingness to listen to the other side and their issues with the GAA
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

We are the GAA - If they don't like us too bad, but let's not start throwing away all our symbols etc just so as we can make outrselves attractive to others - if they don't like what we are, too bad !!

"Gnevin" I accept what you are saying, but why do we have to accommodate them.
If they don't accept the way the GAA is now what loss is it.

Maximus Marillius

Wrecked....... maybe I should change the name of the thread to 'Is our protestant neighbours really wanting to play gaelic games'....what do you think...is that better?

orangeman

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 03, 2007, 12:20:27 PM
Wrecked....... maybe I should change the name of the thread to 'Is our protestant neighbours really wanting to play gaelic games'....what do you think...is that better?

Maybe "What are the greatest obstacles to our Protestant neighbours participating in Gaelic Games?"

Edit: we must acknowledge that there's an issue there, and be clear and explicit about it. Only then can we tackle it properly (but that does not mean to abandon core principles, but to confront discrimination, intimidation or victimisation).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

I cant understand why this is an issue, if they dont like the way the GAA is run, big deal. The GAA has plenty to be sorting out before they start beating themselves up over this issus.