Where is the Tommy Lyons' "Gain Line"?

Started by rpm, August 01, 2007, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpm

Tommy Lyons said on The Sunday Game that "Derry are a potent force when they break the gain line".

I know where the 'gain line' is in Rubgy - because it is a Rugby term. But where is the feckin gain line in Gaelic Football?

Or is Tommy just bluffing perhaps?

Dinny Breen

I assume he means bringing the ball forward from the area where you won the ball back. e.g if you win the ball on your own 45 but funnel the ball backwards with hand passes you don't break the gain line till you pass through your 45...
#newbridgeornowhere

blast05

Any other terms adapted from other sports.

Gain line from rugby.
Shot selection from basketball (has become common in the last few years .... would i be right in saying originating from a north Mayo town ?!?)
Any others ??

stephenite

Quote from: blast05 on August 01, 2007, 11:25:36 PM
Shot selection from basketball (has become common in the last few years .... would i be right in saying originating from a north Mayo town ?!?)

I think you might be correct Blast - however it is very apt considering some Mayo forwards were prone to shooting at the first sight of the posts. But the phrase itself, does it not come from golf?

Jinxy

I would like to take this opportunity to propose that the word "IMMENSE" never be used during the course of gaelic games analysis.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Homer

Don't forget 'turnover' a Kevin McStay favourite.

rpm

Yeah - but in Rugby you generally pass the ball backwards thereby retreating from the point where you wn possesion. In Gaelic Football it is more normal to kick or run forward with the ball - in which case the gain line is usually behind you anyway. So I'm not sure the term is so apt in Gaelic Football.

Rav67

lynchbhoy

we were always told not to lose posession - so retaining posession is another way of saying it I would have thought.

there is no such thing as a 'gain line' in Gaelic football, even more weird if ever applied to hurling. lyons is not so much a bluffer as a twit flamping in vain attempt to find something to say.
The general public are not so easily fooled tommy - even if you are fooling yourself.

I suppose we will take a few phrases into the sport as Gaelic football get ever more analytical. You'd be trying to coach your shot happy corner forward that there might be a slight chance that against the wind , against the wind - taking a shot with his weaker left foot from the left corner flag realistically does not statistically have much of a chance of dropping over the bar - especially if he has a weak shot and is only accurate from inside 21 yards.
Shot selection would be a phrase used there before you finally drop him and promote his younger brother to take his position.

you mention immense
but whatever happend to the Sunday Game's traditional buzzword of years
the good old
'TREE-Men-Jous'
not treMendous or even tremendous - there had to be what sounded like a jagged 'J' inserted in there for complete effect!

It used to drive me mad when hearing it.

magpie seanie

Tommy Lyons' gain line is his wallet the mercenary hoor.

mackers

Tommy Lyons has to be the greatest shite talker on TV.  Spillane (another tosser) has great craic in taking the pish out of him and treats him with disdain. Of all of the much criticised pundits on the Sunday Game he should be the first to get the boot.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Star Spangler

"He kicked a lovely point with the left boot"

How does he get the boot to kick the point?  I never had boots that could kick good points for me.  I just had Puma Kings.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 02, 2007, 09:30:32 AM

How does he get the boot to kick the point?  I never had boots that could kick good points for me.  I just had Puma Kings.
to be fair you cant say anyone kicked it with his bare left foot (unless eusabio)

Star Spangler

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 02, 2007, 09:44:35 AM

to be fair you cant say anyone kicked it with his bare left foot (unless eusabio)

Aye but it's still kicked using the leg and foot - not the boot!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 02, 2007, 09:47:09 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 02, 2007, 09:44:35 AM

Aye but it's still kicked using the leg and foot - not the boot!
what about if the guy has two prosthetic legs...