Derry beat Antrim in U21 hurling championship

Started by treborstemme, August 01, 2007, 10:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2007, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Balboa on August 18, 2007, 09:25:34 PM

Dublin will play either Cork or Galway in the final at Croke Park on 9 September.

I wonder how many of the Dubs who go to the Kerry game will attend this Final? ::)

Why, do all Roscommon football fans go to your hurling matches?

treborstemme

Went to game yesterday and enjoyed it.  Dublin were very impressive, strong right down the middle, with the mid-field largely being the difference in the two sides.  BOth midfielders give the oakleafers a lesson on all aspects of the game, scoring, first touch and positional awareness. 

Derry however did not let themselves down, in any way!!!  I was delighted with their battling performance.  They let in a bad goal to leave the scores 1-5 to 0-5.  This seemed to kick dublin up the ass and they started to show their worth.  Derry also should have had 2-3 goals, but the difference being Dublin would have taken those chances.  Great to see Dublin hurling in the ascendency! But I think the dubs were well surprised by the oak leafers, having just 6 senior teams and 2 junior teams in the whole county!

For the final, I think Dublin can raise their game.  It was a lose-lose situation for them against Derry but with the right attitude I can't see any reason why the dubs can claim the title. Good luck in the final lads.

PS Great support for dublin at newry, great to see!

Blacksheep

Well done the Dubs. They were the better team but Derry didn't let themselves down at all. Hope for the future of hurling in Derry.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Was at this game myself on Saturday and to be honest I thought Derry put up a great show, a couple of soft goals undid them. In fairness they missed a great chance for a goal right at the end of the 1st half when their full forward dragged his shot wide which would have opened the game right up if he scored. While they missed a few frees in the 2nd half as well that would have closed the gap and put the pressure on the dubs.

Hard to tell from this how good the Dubs are as they did all they needed to do and despite a good effort by Derry were never under any real pressure of losing the game. Great support from Dublin for the match I'd say about 4,500 Dubs travelled to the game compared to a few hundred Derry fans.

McCrabbe in the midfeild is a fine hurler just hope he sticks at the hurling and isn't "poached" by Pillar for squad number 31!

Ps While Carton shouldn't have played Dublin are doing nothing different than every other county in Ireland, I think they would face a bigger outcry from within their own county if they did nothing. Look Cork tried get their lads off even though Frank Murphy had written the new rules! Don't think it will impact on the vast majority of hurling people hoping that Dublin win an All Ireland this year, genuinely hope they win it myself even though Cork are still involved as a win for the Dubs will do more for hurling than another All Ireland for Cork

Franko

I see lightning has struck twice for this amazing antrim team...?

Minder

Quote from: Franko on July 24, 2008, 10:48:31 AM
I see lightning has struck twice for this amazing antrim team...?

Yep it is no fluke that Derry have beaten them twice now, it wasnt the surprise that some are claiming it to be. Antrim scored 0-2 in the second half, which is brutal.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bacon

Hardly a surprise. There was a right few u21s on the senior team that dumped Down out of the Christy Ring.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

hurl4ever

not surprising at all, heard that somthing like 13 of last years starting team is still playing, although mcmanus and simon mc crory were big misses for antrim although i think it mightnt have made a difference. maybe mcgilligan and derry should look to move to the leinster  championship to inprove these lads and maybe it shows why sambo and antrim should think the whole thing through again as these young players maybe arent as good as he has talked them up to be.

dodo

No thread on it so I'll stick it here...

Leinster u-21 Hurling final

Kilkenny  2-18
Offaly     1-09

Only a few minutes left

slow corner back

Thats pretty one sided. Shame was hoping the biffos could put it up to the cats again obviously not.

lynchbhoy

Do Derry play Kilkenny now .....hopefully not !
:o

billy the kid

Derry retained their U21 Hurling title last nite by beating Down In BallyCran By 2.19 - 1.8

Fantastic result.  They now play Tipp in the AI semi on the 23rd August
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!