Derry beat Antrim in U21 hurling championship

Started by treborstemme, August 01, 2007, 10:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacksheep

Fantastic result for the young Derry lads! Let's hope they can put it up to the Dubs - in both games!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Jimbobjnr

in for a hammering against the dubs, i hate to say it but everyone knows the dubs will just be far too good.

southderry

What is the chances of derry beating Dublin in the U21 semi-final? have we any chance at all?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jimbobjnr on August 07, 2007, 12:31:55 AM
in for a hammering against the dubs, i hate to say it but everyone knows the dubs will just be far too good.

I think we have trained ourselves to now say this even in our sleep  :o
:D

we have a chance - if we can beat Antrim, then we have a chance - however slight.

johnneycool

If Antrim were going down to play Dublin, they'd fancy their chances and rightly so. Derry need to travel with the same mentality.

Lecale2

The semi finals are supposed to be next weekend (18th/19th). Any word on where? There was talk of Newry for Ulster v Leinster.

tayto

tayto

Quote from: johnneycool on August 10, 2007, 08:47:38 AM
If Antrim were going down to play Dublin, they'd fancy their chances and rightly so. Derry need to travel with the same mentality.

Look yez bet that antrim team which was made up of two years worth of good minors so Dublin will be taking nothing for granted. Should be a good match. Dublin manager Seán Lane was impressed with yezer win saying you've a big, pacey, skilllfull side.

We're without Carton - suspended

Johnny McCaffery is hopefully back which will be a huge boost and Shane Durkin must be pushing for a start after the impact he made coming on in the Leinster Final.

I think Shane O'Rorke is back as well, he's a lad with an all Ireland colleges medal and a Leinster minor medal, so maybe we could move McCrabbe back into the forwards but he had such a great game at midfield in the Leinster final maybe he should be left in there, then again if McCaffery is back, himself and Boland make a very good partnership there and Cartons absence int he corner could be filled by McCrabbe.

treborstemme

Massive challenge for Derry, watched Dublin v Offaly on Setanta and they are a dam good team.  Young Brogan being out(?) is a huge help for the oak leafers.  But the shear depth of players in the capital should make for an easy win for Dublin.  I hope our boys put up a good challenge.  Who knows?

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Dublin V Derry match is likely to descend into a media circus now - Ulster Council and Croke Park have put a match involving the PSNI on before the game in Newry. It was kept hush hush from the local club until the start of this week and was presented as a fait d'acompli - club given no option. Means that the challenge matches orgainsed by the club against Na Fianna in U10s and Slaughtneil in seniors now have to be moved to Derrylecka.
As a result of the way this has been handled the club has withdrawn all services for Saturday including stewarding and the actual clubhouse will be closed that day - no club members allowed on site that day. Biggest concern for the club is safety for their juvenile members given that there are likely to be protests by "dissidents" both inside and outside the ground. Only takes a few idiots to take it out ont he club and damage the grounds/club house - instead of being a great day for the local hurling community this is descending into a farce and I feel sorry for the hurlers of Derry and Dublin who are being used a pawns in a PR stunt and probably aren't even aware of it!  >:(

tayto

Dont like the sound of that.  ??? ??? ???

This is on paper as good a Dublin u21 team as i can remember to be honest so it'll be interesting to see how they fare.

We've two long term injuries at the moment, Kevin O'Reilly [who some would day is the best forward in the county- had just broken his way onto the senior team] is out with a cruciate injury and Will Lowry broke his leg badly in a club football match.

Otherwise we've a clean bill of health. With McCaffery apparently fit again after his injury keeping him out for a big chunk of the season and Shane O'Rorke back after his broken collarbone.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

I'd say Dublin would be clear favourites for Saturday as they were up in Newry last week and appear to be physically big enough to more than match Derry in that regard while I saw them in the match V Offaly on TG4 and they have some fine hurlers.

Will be interesting to see how they fare against the winners of the Cork V Galway game also on Saturday live on TG4. Don't think Joe Canning is playing for Galway as I'm presuming he is still out of the country so his loss may tip the scales in Corks favour although Cork were fortunate to beat a good Tipp side.

Are you going to the game on Saturday Tayto?

tayto

Not looking beyond Derry to be honest.

That was a useful Antrim team they bet so it'll be a tuff match.

Much as i'd like to I'm not gonna to make this one :(

I don't live in Dublin at the moment so i cant afford another trip up, expensive stuff having all these underage hurlers going well at the same time as the footballers but i aint complaining!!!

INDIANA

joe canning scored 4 goals in a challenge against dublin recently. galway to beat cork.