Soccer: World's most offensive noun?

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, July 31, 2007, 10:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

QuoteDictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

soc·cer      /ˈsɒkər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sok-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
noun a form of football played between two teams of 11 players, in which the ball may be advanced by kicking or by bouncing it off any part of the body but the arms and hands, except in the case of the goalkeepers, who may use their hands to catch, carry, throw, or stop the ball. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1890–95; (As)soc(iation football) + -er7]

Flicking through OWC I see yet another tirade against the innocuous word "soccer".  Despite the fact it is commonly used in other countries such as USA or Australia (notably places where there are other variations of "football".)    I believe the australians affectionately refer to their team as the socceroos.   

However over in OWC-land soccer seems to be a token of oppression?   What the fcuk is that all about?

Surely it is not that hard to acknowledge that there is another variation of football played in Northern Ireland and that the shorthand of Gaelic/Soccer is a useful one?

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 31, 2007, 10:53:57 AM
However over in OWC-land soccer seems to be a token of oppression?   What the fcuk is that all about?

Surely it is not that hard to acknowledge that there is another variation of football played in Northern Ireland and that the shorthand of Gaelic/Soccer is a useful one?

/Jim.

A token of "oppression" ??????

Jesus them boys have to much time to think   :D :D :D
Ask me holy bollix

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 31, 2007, 10:57:15 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 31, 2007, 10:53:57 AM

/Jim.

A token of "oppression" ??????

Jesus them boys have to much time to think   :D :D :D

Indeed apparently it is a term used by the type that call "Londonderry" "Derry"

Shame.

/Jim.

nifan

In fairness jim theres many a time ive been corrected when I talk about "football" and that i have to call it soccer.
Similar outrage is shown.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on July 31, 2007, 11:03:36 AM
In fairness jim theres many a time ive been corrected when I talk about "football" and that i have to call it soccer.

"outrage" ?  :-\
I would says its more like mild annoyance than "outrage"  ;)
Its funny how people from the Island of Ireland seem to get annoyed when Gaelic football is referred to as football instead of calling soccer football.
Generally the native sport is regarded as football and the other as soccer when there are two forms, like in Australia, USA and Ireland.

Its really simple, they call in football in England as thats where the game was created (debatably) and so its their "native" sport.
Northern Ireland is not in England, as much as some would like it to be.  ;)

Ask me holy bollix

nifan

I mean ive experienced outrage at my use of football for soccer

When did gaelic start getting called football?
Just curious, as the Gaelic is Peil, so when did an english term start to be used for the sport.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on July 31, 2007, 11:13:06 AM
Just curious, as the Gaelic is Peil, so when did an english term start to be used for the sport.

When we started speaking in English  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Chrisowc

I mean ive experienced outrage at my use of football for soccer

When did gaelic start getting called football?

What did the English ever do for us  ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 31, 2007, 11:08:07 AM
Quote from: nifan on July 31, 2007, 11:03:36 AM

"outrage" ?  :-\
I would says its more like mild annoyance than "outrage"  ;)
Its funny how people from the Island of Ireland seem to get annoyed when Gaelic football is referred to as football instead of calling soccer football.
Generally the native sport is regarded as football and the other as soccer when there are two forms, like in Australia, USA and Ireland.

Its really simple, they call in football in England as thats where the game was created (debatably) and so its their "native" sport.
Northern Ireland is not in England, as much as some would like it to be.  ;)

In northern parts of England football would firstly refer to Rubgy
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 31, 2007, 11:16:28 AM
What did the English ever do for us  ;D
They gave us the Chav culture thats thriving on OWC  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

QuoteIn northern parts of England football would firstly refer to Rubgy
Really?
Newcastle? Sunderland?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Gnevin on July 31, 2007, 11:16:52 AM
[In northern parts of England football would firstly refer to Rubgy

Eddie O'Sullivan often refers to his team's efforts to get their hands on the "football".  Also Sky are promoting a Saturday morning programme called "Soccer A.M.".   Mooretwin was found dead on the kitchen floor having choked on his Coco-Pops in outrage when it came on.

Shame!

/Jim.

Yer Ma

To be fair I prefer the term football for 'soccer' and it is probably borne out of Yanks talking about 'soccer' when the name you have always grown up with has been different. While the 'OWC types' have probably bemoaned this too, I don't think it needs to be directly related to the politics of this island to be pissed off at the various terms for the games.

5 Sams

I have a feeling that the lads who play Caid in the deep south would disagree with this statement.
The Aristocrat Years

GalwayBayBoy

Meh. Sometimes I use football to describe football. Sometimes I use soccer. Same difference really. Generally use soccer as Ireland like the US and Australia for example is somewhere where their are popular native versions of football.

Don't know why anyone would get worked up about it though.