Are top level referees fit enough?

Started by Sky Blue, July 30, 2007, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky Blue

There was a discussion on the radio this morning concerning the fitness of referees. Cyril Farrell was complaining that the refs aren't fit enough to keep up with the fitness levels of the modern game and that they are 30-40 yards of the action when they are giving decisions. Fr Gardinar the GAA referees spokesman was defending them saying that there are tough fitness tests for the top refs and that refs are doing a good job with no real controversial issues this year.

Personnally I can't see how you can expect a ref, most of whom are in there 40s, to keep up with 30 young athletes. The ref is probably required to run more than most players who can stop for a breath when the balls at the other end of the field. As for hurling - how can anyone keep up with play when the top players can drive a ball 90 yards in a second.

No suggested solutions from Cyril but may be it's time to consider using 2 refs, one for each half of the field? Is it worth considering for the top matches or maybe just for hurling?

Bacon

2 refs might work. Do they do that in some other sports?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bud Wiser

Cyril Farrell is a tool, 'as such' or 'be that as it may Michael' are his usual contributions to debate.

He would do well to concentrate on other matters instead of saying something for the sake of saying something.
A referree has  a thankless job, in fact you would want to be off your rocker to dedicate your time to being a ref.

The standard of refereeing this year has been top class, given that they are human and have to make a few mistakes or they would not be.

If Cyril is saying that 'as such, Galway would have beaten The Cats if they had seven referees he is mistaken, again.
Hurling is a funny old game and for the last week I have been laughed in the local because I said that Wexford would beat Tipp by about six points.  If the had lost I would not blame the ref or go out with a shotgun shooting bean tins off a log and pretending each one was a ref.

Leave the ref's alone, they are top class by todays standards.  When they are not we won't need Cyril to tell us and changes can be made then.

inisceithleann

Two referees IMO is the perfect solution. With referees never going to be professional we can never expect them to get to same level of fitness as the players. few sports are as quick and use such a large playing area as football and hurling, with aussie rules being one of the exceptions. The fact that they use two referees indicates that we should too.

There's also the old chesnut that we need to get younger fellas to begin refereeing at an earlier age, not when their playing career is over. But getting anyone to ref at a local level and endure the abuse they will get will always be a struggle.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Bud Wiser

Maybe we should have four refs, one in each quarter of the field and give them deck chairs.  Aussie rules is no comparrison to GAA. In Aussie Rules they hoof the ball from one end of the field to the other and it goes from one end to the other like a yo-yo. That can not be compared with the Dublins and Kildares and dare I say it the Laois's of this world who go through a procedure of passing that is like some kind of ritual.

I accept that if refs are too old there can be a problem with their eyesight, bad hips and walking but I doubt very much if there are any that can't see fifty yards in front of them which is near enough unless Cyril wants them to be in the way of the players. Considering that I have listened to some of the wizards on the Hill pontificating about what happend down at the Canal end on many occasions, not least of when Kevin Fitzpatrick was sent off a few years ago, I fail to see why refs are being put (unfairly) under the microscope when they are doing a damn good job and we should be righly proud of them.  Loughnane started all this.  He should stick to his beagling and if he wants to shoot oil cans and pretend they are Harry Bohan thats fair enough, but, leave the refs alone.

Drumanee 1

pretty ironic that it's a advert for bud bud

GalwayBayBoy

Bud Wiser I'm not sure why you deemed it neccessary to call Cyril Farrell "a tool" for daring to suggest that some refs are patently unfit. Some of them ARE unfit. Without naming names some of them are carrying large porter bellies that would not disgrace a man who spent 5 nights of the week in the pub enjoying a few pints of old Uncle Arthur. I think we all know refs to do major intercounty matches who clearly struggle to keep up with the play.

Being a ref is a thankless task but part of referring is keeping yourself fit and as lean as possible (given their age). Some of them quite obviously don't do this.

faithful7

Cyril Farrell's comments were made, I think, as a result of the free awarded to Waterford at the end of the game. This was a very unfair comment with regard to yesterdays Ref Brian Gavin who had an excellent game. I can remember that at least twice during the course of the game the commentators faulted the ref. for giving a free only to have to eat their words when the replay was shown. Brian Gavin did an excellent job and his decision to give a free at the end was the only fair decision. Cusack had covered the ball aided and abetted by Diarmuid O'S. and another Cork defender before the Waterford forward appeared on the scene. Cusack also made frantic attempts to pick the sliotar off the ground but failed because he was unsighted. It is impossible - no matter how fit a ref might be to be under a ball that has been pucked 80 or 90 yards up field.  I say, well done to Brian Gavin and I hope he gets the replay as well just to prove what an excellent ref he is.

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteAre top level referees fit enough?

In at least 95% of cases the answer is a big fat NO!

Lecale2

Quote from: faithful7 on July 30, 2007, 08:42:27 PM
I say, well done to Brian Gavin and I hope he gets the replay as well just to prove what an excellent ref he is.

He won't get the replay. It's policy to change the ref for replays.

Bud Wiser

QuoteHe won't get the replay. It's policy to change the ref for replays.

I'd say he has as much a chance of being on the pitch on Sunday as O'Sullivan and two other Cork players who abused him leaving the field and may be / should be suspended !

orangeman

The referees in hurling seem to be very fit - faster game with few breaks in play.