Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Overall, a little disappointed with the performance, but delighted with the win. The amount of times we needlessly gave awa possession was incredible, and presumably can be put down to ring rustyness.

Ryan and Keaney played as bad as they ever have. Whelo was great, but was on his own against lads playing as well if not better, so we lost midfield overall. IMO the main mistake Caffrey made was not taking off Ryan earlier, but then again Darren Magee gives me no confidence - drops too many balls.

I have to say hats off to Derry. Tight in defence, very good in midfield and some very good forwards. If they had taken one of their goal chances, they most certainily would have deserved at least a draw.

Can't believe some Derry folk criticising SML. That's as good as job as is humanly possible on an in-form Alan Brogan. I guarantee nobody from here on in will do better. Great to see Bernard step up to the plate in the first half, and I thought Jayo was superb in the second.

Dunno why we had McConnell on Bradley for a while. Griff did a super job when he got the task - as well as anyone could on such a talented footballer. Barry Cahill would probably have been my man of the match for his awesome late block on Bradley and for the overall job he did and for picking up a lot of breaking ball.

We'd certainly need to up it a lot for the semis

Stmalachy

Screenexile and hound, were you at the game? SML only marked Brogan for thirty minutes. Why he switched to Vaughan needs some explanation from Crozier or SML. Fergal Doherty was man of the match by a mile, absolutely awesome. Paddy Bradley is a brilliant forward. Big Enda, quiiet first half but very good in the 2nd. A good performance and I'm proud of my team. the referee was a complete biased tool. Cant wait for 2008

the green man

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on August 11, 2007, 09:36:01 PM
i dont think eoin bradley is to blame for our defeat. the lad has not played at this level all year due to his ban so i think he was lacking in match minutes. he made his own space, was fit to beat his man but his scoring just let him down which is unusal alot more than i can say for devlin, he did not want to no. think doc and mc coly were unreal they give it there all. paul murphy was a big loss due to his injury i heard he got two injections a few hours before the game. i hope this derry team stick together all they need is an ulster title so they can believe in themselves. this derry team has beat a few good teams in this backdoor system but have nothing to show for their hard work.

p.s the ref is a c**k sucker. if the dubs want to win sam they will need him in their starting 16

Very true, and therefore should never have been brought back into the panel. During his abscence I thought the team gelled quite nicely. His introduction  turned the game in Dublins favour, along with the Dubs  double marking Patrick. Skinners first attempt at goal really should have been a point. It would have taken some shot to beat any keeper from there, and it went down hill for him from that. Although in the last 5-10 mins when Derry got a bit of belief back, he showed well for the ball.

McCloy and Mick McGoldrick, were outstanding today I thought. Big Fergus will defo recieve an All Star nomination as will Paddy.

Barry McGoldrick played rightly when introduced, playing a few long accurate balls in. I thought Crook added a bit of zip to the attack, and made Dublin take the spare man of Bradley.

For the Dubs, Cluxtons saves obviously stand out, although he seemed to for go with the short kicks to the wing. For all his slagging here last week I thought Casey had a good second half. I didnt realise Cullen was on in the first half at all. Shane Ryan was quite enough, compared to his usual standards and Whelan caught a few timely balls. By the way I'm glad it rained today so it gave him a reason to wear them big goalie gloves he's fond of.

Sherlock was dangerous throughout, as was Keaney lto a lesser extent. The report for the Brogans would probably be 'Could have done better', while, as previously stated Vaughen done little from play, but coulda kicked dead balls from Balbriggan.

If Dublin can get a bit more cohesion in their overall play, they'll be hard to talk to later this year. Midfield must tighten up, and play for the full 70. This will take a heap of pressure of the much maligned full back line.

Eighteen points is brave scoring, but in reflection youse should have had a goal or two. Youse need to be more clinical in this department. And for god sake, theirs men champin at the bit on the bench. Use it.

So thats me tuppence worth. Great day out, great craic with the Jacks. I'm backing Dublin for Sam

AN other

Quote from: Leo on August 11, 2007, 07:53:13 PM
Big Doherty at midfield - what a performance. He was constantly being fouled yet still won great ball. Where was the ref on persistent fouling?
Derry had the winnings of this but young Bradley wasted too much ball - Murphy was a big loss. Derrry should have taken McGuckin off early on - clearly not fit - skinned right and left.

I'd like to see this Derry team stay together - good honest football and very entertaining - but SML looks past his best.

I agree about Doherty, easily the best Derry player on the field I thought.

oakleaf stateside

from the 30 lads on the field today who will make the alstars??
Dont Do It

The Forfeit Point

when exactly did paddy bradley "whinge" about not gettin an all-star? ive heard other people complain about him not gettin one but never the man himself. thought it was a bit unfair of o'rourke to say that. not having seen eoin bradley too much before i dont know what he is generally like as a player, i however didnt see that much "selfishness" from him today he was wayward though. he missed 2 goal chances which he was entitled to have a crack at, landed a beauty and hit a bad wide fair enough, now if they all went over or in, brolly & co. wouldve been singing praises about him. IMO alan brogan was far more selfish on the field but covered it up nicely by scoring 3 points. also dublin better be praying that all kerry players get struck down with the abola virus tomorrow cause the kingdom would rout them

Bogball XV

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on August 11, 2007, 11:10:33 PM
from the 30 lads on the field today who will make the alstars??

Cluxton, Whelan nailed on (although Meath's Murphy could still take keeper), after that, the likes of Brogan, Cullen, Keaney, Vaughan could all get them depending on how the Dubs fare out.
From Derry, Bradley, McCloy, Muldoon, Doherty will all get nominations but none will get an award.

DoYerJob Linesman

which is unusal alot more than i can say for devlin, he did not want to no.

Either you have another agenda here, you weren't at the match, or you know f**k all about football.....tool!
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

J70

I think people are getting a bit carried away with the Eoin Bradley stuff as well. You'd swear no other forward ever had a bad day! Whelan had a mishit shot every bit as awful as Bradley's. Another wide from Bradley was very narrowly wide from 30 metres out on the left, after some great work to make the space. He's not the first player to miss chances like those two goal chances. Had Derry not been four or five points down, I'm sure he would have taken the fisted point for the first one. 

As for All Stars, I think Paddy Bradley is well in the hunt after today's game.

oakleaf stateside

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on August 12, 2007, 12:15:27 AM
which is unusal alot more than i can say for devlin, he did not want to no.

Either you have another agenda here, you weren't at the match, or you know f**k all about football.....tool!
devlin is a grate man at winning frees when he takes on men but today he did not have the balls to do that
Dont Do It

DoYerJob Linesman

No point arguing with you....you obviously haven't a clue!

oakleaf stateside

u ballinderry f**kers r all the same sure lick duke ass
Dont Do It

oakleaf stateside

and wat about the other 4 ballinderry lad wer they all grate the day aswell
Dont Do It

DoYerJob Linesman

And now we see the hidden agenda i referred to!

w**ker.

I'm off to bed. If the other posters agree with your assessment of Colin Devlin I will acknowledge that i was wrong.  However, if you are just on to criticise players because of where they come from i've wasted enough time on you already.

oakleaf stateside

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on August 12, 2007, 12:49:09 AM
And now we see the hidden agenda i referred to!

w**ker.

I'm off to bed. If the other posters agree with your assessment of Colin Devlin I will acknowledge that i was wrong.  However, if you are just on to criticise players because of where they come from i've wasted enough time on you already.
sweet dreams
Dont Do It