Monaghan v Kerry all ireland QF

Started by gwan-ye-boy-ya, July 29, 2007, 06:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anluabu2

i think this is a good draw for Monaghan, they played a great game of football on saturday night, they are organised, fit and strong, physically and mentally. and i think that will really help them against Kerry, losing the ulster final will reallget them ready for this game, they really rattled tyrone, and i certainly think they will rattle the kingdom

CMON MONAGHAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerry Mike

QuoteIf Tyrone and Cork qualify for the semi-final, who will the Kerry gang root for/against?  Is there some sort of rulebook in the Kingdom of Yerra to decide such matters?

The good book of Yerra says that no Kerryman, woman, child or animal shall support the Rebels from the Land of the Langers. But it also states that it would be difficult for anyone to support the Red handers from Tyrone. So we are all going fishing that day if such a scenario arises.

Quotewho goes to full back when Corey goes to full forward

I think this will be the biggest decision Seamus McEneaney will have to make. Corey has played very well at full forward over the last 2 games but do Monaghan risk that and move him back to full back to try and curb Donaghy. I think they wont, I think they will be in a frame of mind to go for the game from the start by playing Corey at full forward even if they name him at full back, if they get ahead like they did in the latter stages against Donegal they might then bolster their full back line by pulling him back.

But they have other possible options at full forward, Paul Finlay would make a fine target man inside with Freeman too, or how about one of McElroy, Clerkin or Lennon at full forward ?

I suppose the big question will be if Corey is full forward will they go with Colm Flanagan at full back, I think he is more of a corner man but they will need a big strong man on the edge of their square to try and cope with Donaghy's aerial threat. My guess is that they will bring as many players back as possible and try and double team Donaghy, the only problem there is that Cooper is well able to win his own high ball so that might open a few opportunities for him. Will they try something new like pulling Eoin Lennon or Dick Clerkin back to full back, it will be interesting to see the line ups.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 31, 2007, 09:57:21 AM
QuoteIf Tyrone and Cork qualify for the semi-final, who will the Kerry gang root for/against?  Is there some sort of rulebook in the Kingdom of Yerra to decide such matters?

The good book of Yerra says that no Kerryman, woman, child or animal shall support the Rebels from the Land of the Langers. But it also states that it would be difficult for anyone to support the Red handers from Tyrone. So we are all going fishing that day if such a scenario arises.

Now that's what you call between a rock and a hard place  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thebandit

I think that Monaghan will start with Flanagan at full back, with possibly JP Mone sitting in front of Donaghy.

The Monaghan half back line will play very very deep, and while some may say this will invite Kerry onto Monaghan, it will cut out clean ball into Gooch and Donaghy.

If they are in deep trouble after 10 mins I would expect Corey to be switched to full back. Could we see James Coyle at full back at some stage?

The Subbie

Quote from: thebandit on July 31, 2007, 10:20:23 AM
I think that Monaghan will start with Flanagan at full back, with possibly JP Mone sitting in front of Donaghy.

The Monaghan half back line will play very very deep, and while some may say this will invite Kerry onto Monaghan, it will cut out clean ball into Gooch and Donaghy.

If they are in deep trouble after 10 mins I would expect Corey to be switched to full back. Could we see James Coyle at full back at some stage?

Would'nt be so sure of James @ full back, looking at him warming up on Sat before the game and he just did'nt look fit and has'nt played a lot of ball this summer.

The key to nullifying Donaghys threat is to stop the ball going into him, easier said than done i know but to my mind its a case of a war of attrition in mid field, flood it with bodies and hopefully Kerry will get caught in traffic.

Kerrys 3/4 line is the platform for them , if we can stall them and poss break down a few early moves it could be crucial.

A tandem job on Donaghy would be the obvious move but would surely leave us exposed elsewhere.

As Kerry Mike rightly said Banty, trappe and mcelkennon have a massive decision to  make re Vinny.

One option for the ff berth that has'nt been mentioned yet is big Benny Mc kenna , did all right against Down in mid field and whilst not the most mobile of lads he's got the frame and can catch the ball, decent distribution as well.

We do have options but its shaping up to be a classic case of a game been won on the line.

SuperDooperCooper

The great thing about the qualifiers is matches like this. Novel pairings are good for the game.
I would expect Tommy Griffin (if fit) to resume in the middle of the field, in the only change from the Munster final.
The perceived wisdom is that Monaghan will flood the defence and stop Kerry working through them; I honestly feel Kerry will go long and by pass the congestion.
Tyrone had Gormley (I think) sitting in front of Gooch in the AIF and he picked up the world of ball, now we have two target men in the Full forward line and the problem for Monaghan is do you put a man in front of Donaghy, Gooch or even both. Kerry never really utilised the long ball to Donaghy in Munster final because his shoulder was still not right going into the game, he has 10 weeks of football behind him now so a few trademark catches should be on the menu. Tactically it will be very interesting.  One concern to come out of the Munster final was the 20 minute fade out in the second half, if that happens again we could be in trouble.
As KM said, Cork vs Tyrone is a turn off the telly occasion and see the result later on, could not see myself supporting either team...

thebandit

Dont know about Big Benny at FF, seen him there a few times in the league and wasn't at all convinced.

Another worry is McQuaid v Brosnan, McQuaid isn't really a man marker, so we could be exposed here

Kerry Mike

QuoteAnother worry is McQuaid v Brosnan, McQuaid isn't really a man marker, so we could be exposed here

Or Declan O'Sullivan if he plays at centre forward, Was in great form against Cork and has played very well for his South Kerry since, James Nallen had no answer to him in the AI final last year either, another key Kerry player Banty will have to plan against.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

blanketattack

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 30, 2007, 09:05:22 PM
If Tyrone and Cork qualify for the semi-final, who will the Kerry gang root for/against?  Is there some sort of rulebook in the Kingdom of Yerra to decide such matters?

Yes, in that case Kerry folk pray to Maurice Fitzgerald for the Croke Park water supply to be infected with cryptosporidiosis.

JBM on the 21

I think Kerry should win - set up a semi against the Dubs - where will that game be on -  Thurles?

inisceithleann

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on July 31, 2007, 07:53:48 PM
I think Kerry should win - set up a semi against the Dubs - where will that game be on -  Thurles?

Croker sure if the Dubs and Kerry met nowhere else could accomodate them. All semis are played in croke park these days I think.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Hound

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on July 31, 2007, 07:53:48 PM

blanketattack

Quote from: The Subbie on July 31, 2007, 10:52:18 AM

Kerrys 3/4 line is the platform for them , if we can stall them and poss break down a few early moves it could be crucial.

3/4 line???
I didn't realise it was rugby - Monaghan will definitely win so.

MikeInPaUSA

We have tickets for the Guniness Hurling Semi Final and the BOI Football Quarter Final, as printed on the tickets purchased through Ticketmaster.

The GAA annouced the starting times for events as:

Sunday, August 12th

ESB All Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Tipperary v Kilkenny 12.15pm
(Croke Park)

Bank of Ireland Football Championship Quarter Final
Kerry v Monaghan 2pm
(Croke Park)

Guinness All Ireland Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Limerick v Cork/Waterford 4pm
(Croke Park)

Will we be able to enter the stadium for the 12:15 ESB match or do we need to wait until the ESB All Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final is over?

Hardy

The tickets are good for the whole day. Enjoy.