Ban Irish players for life from the GAA that play Australian Rules

Started by Stay goalside of your man, July 27, 2007, 12:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 27, 2007, 01:24:33 PM
Fantastic weather, good money, hot chicks, can visit the set of Home and away to see Sally at any time;) - I cant understand them lads at all ;D

or you can stay toiling away with the carlow minors as the story in todays indo goes. i think its great that we have a few guys doing well down under. if any of them come back they'll be the better fot it..

Denn Forever

i think its great that we have a few guys doing well down under. if any of them come back they'll be the better fot it..
[/quote]

I don't know if they'll be better for it.  I am thinking of Nicholas Walsh in Cavan where IMHO he has yet to find his best position, every one expects a lot.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Stay goalside of your man

Ok lads I have said already that I am proud of the fact that Irish lads are able to do well at the Australian game.
But do ye not think that we should stop them from doing so.
I accept the fact that only a few players have gone over at the moment but this could lead to more and more going over.
As the Australians have said that they see the Irish players as cheap to get.
So we just let the Australians take the best of our players and do nothing about it.
Unfortunately the only way to truly stop this will be for GAA to go professional.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on July 27, 2007, 01:53:47 PM
Ok lads I have said already that I am proud of the fact that Irish lads are able to do well at the Australian game.
But do ye not think that we should stop them from doing so.
I accept the fact that only a few players have gone over at the moment but this could lead to more and more going over.
As the Australians have said that they see the Irish players as cheap to get.
So we just let the Australians take the best of our players and do nothing about it.
Unfortunately the only way to truly stop this will be for GAA to go professional.

And given the problems going professional will bring, I think losing a few young lads a year is a price worth paying to avoid that scenario.
Ask me holy bollix

Bogball XV

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 27, 2007, 01:24:33 PM
Fantastic weather, good money, hot chicks, can visit the set of Home and away to see Sally at any time;) - I cant understand them lads at all ;D
Hot chicks, well maybe if he's a footie star, but in general, Aussie birds aren't the bees knees - not saying there aren't any, just that per capita it's damned poor.

ziggysego

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on July 27, 2007, 12:22:05 PM
Although I am very proud that many Irish players are able to take to Australian game I think it is to the detriment of the GAA that these players are gone from our games.
Would it work to ban players for life from the GAA for taking part in any trial games etc for the Australian game?
This problem is going to get worse as and more players will be poached.
The GAA is never going to get anything back in return for these players so why not try and make it hard for them to go in the first place.
I know this is extreme and would never work in practice, but I still feel something has to be done to stop it.

Worse Idea Ever!

Testing Accessibility

Tyrone Dreamer

I think the increased attempts to get our best young talent by the Austraillians is extremely worrying, especially now that a few have been successful. It seems that more and more are going to be targeted. They operate in a professional sport and are basically exploiting the gaa who are bringing the guys through after countless years of effort by various coaches and to be taken away with no return whatsoever for the gaa. My main problem is they are specifically targeting our sport cause they know we're an easy target. They are exploiting the decent stuctures put in place by the gaa from u8's right up and then coming along and trying to steel the players just as they are about to become established in the gaa at senior level. Without semi professionalism I believe the number of good players lost will continue to increase. Nobody wants to lose the elite and brightest prospects in their sport.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 27, 2007, 01:48:02 PM

i think its great that we have a few guys doing well down under. if any of them come back they'll be the better fot it..

I don't know if they'll be better for it.  I am thinking of Nicholas Walsh in Cavan where IMHO he has yet to find his best position, every one expects a lot.
[/quote]

now that is one gypsy i wish never returned home,the man is only a thug

Stay goalside of your man

If only I had the command of the English language like "Tyrone Dreamer" I would not need to make such controversial statements to get my point across

Don

I think the Gaa have absolutely no right to tell off the AFL over this. They are offering players something the Gaa cannot. A Career in Sport. A dream for many a young lad. Disgusts me to be honest. Would love to have had the chance to give it a go myself.

rrhf

Yeah me too professional sport your only man.. I could have made it too Don...  Damn that club foot and nasty ingrowing toenai.l

take_yer_points

This is a debate we have had for ages at home - and will probably go on for ages! I could go on forever on it but won't bore you with my own gripes!

if someone is good enough to make a living at professional sports then fair play to them - i wish them all the luck in the world and hope they have every success!

dublinfella

Quote from: Tankie on July 27, 2007, 12:49:12 PM
Stay goalside of your man = Dublinfella????????????

WTF?

So what is actually being suggested here is that members who chose a certain profession should be expelled from the GAA? Or is it members who emigrate?

Either way, its a bizarre and illegal suggestion

Rossfan

A voluntary organisation can have what ever rules it likes. If you dont like the rules then you dont join it.
However if an amateur sports man wants to switch sports he has every right to do so and putting in some rule to ban it will not make much difference.
Of course if GAA went professional (which wont happen)they could charge the Aussies transfer fees ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM