Worthington wants anywhere but windsor

Started by Deal_Me_In, July 27, 2007, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 29, 2007, 02:48:05 PM
[The eligibility or otherwise of a footballer to play for one Association or another has absolutely sod all to do with international criminal law.

never said it had... not once did i mention international criminal law ffs.

Evil Genius

Quote from: magickingdom on July 29, 2007, 04:24:53 PM
[The eligibility or otherwise of a footballer to play for one Association or another has absolutely sod all to do with international criminal law.

Having (somehow) got from Worthington's (non) comment on NI leaving Windsor, to the issue of the eligibility of NI-born players to represent the FAI, you made a couple of posts which show a clear lack of understanding of the jurisdiction and legal accountability of FIFA, including:

eg, as ever your nearly right! not just criminal law any law. ie laws on equality, all citizens are equal (except in the uk and other non liberad democracys where some are born to rule  ). fifa member organisations will ALWAYS be subject to the laws of the land in each country in which they operate. does the bosman ruling ring a bell. no doubt when fifa rule on eligibility they will be cognizant of this ..

On matters such as Eligibility, FIFA is quite simply NOT bound by any international treaties, agreements or laws passed by unconnected organisations (inc. Governments) to which it is not a signatory, nor has it ever been.

Rather, so long as its operations do not contravene any criminal law, it will not tolerate any interference by any national governments in the internal footballing affairs of its (i.e. FIFA's) Member Associations. Further, when faced by such interference, it will readily have recourse to an effective remedy, i.e. to suspend or dismiss the National Association from Membership of FIFA, such Membership being a privilege, not a right. Invariably when faced with such a threat, the Government in question either comes to a compromise which is acceptable to FIFA, or withdraws entirely.

What you seem to overlook is that FIFA has had almost 100 years of dealing with Governments of every shade imaginable. They know pretty well what comes within their powers and what doesn't. International player eligibility is one of those, and Bosman-type players contracts is not.

Whereas not only do you not know the difference, but you don't even appear to have understood that there is a difference in the first place.

Anyhow, it's all found here:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/statutes%5f08%5f2006%5fen%5fpdf%5f52.pdf
See especially Art.17 - Bodies on Pg.12, Article 62 - Obligations on Pg. 41, Article 53 - Principle on Pg 42 and the Regulation re. Player Eligibility under Article 15 on Pg. 60.

For some recent examples of FIFA prohibiting external interference in the running of a National Association's affairs, see:
FYR Macedonia - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/media/newsid=537948.html#fyr+macedonia+fifa+uefa+satisfied+with+restoration+statutory+legality
Poland - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/releases/newsid=110160.html
Kenya - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/releases/newsid=112991.html
Yemen- http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/releases/newsid=99756.html
General - http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/releases/newsid=94282.html

Enjoy... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 29, 2007, 02:11:32 PM
Total and utter bullshit - of the worst Fearonesque type.

Throughout its existence, the IFA has always selected players who are Irish citizens and hold only Irish Passports. They never had the need or desire to change this.

Indeed, when they were told out of the blue that they may no longer do so, following a controversy which had absolutely nothing to do with them, they immediately applied for an exemption which would allow them to preserve the status quo ante. It was their application, and their application only which was considered and accepted by the appropriate Committee, with no recourse to political or any other non-footballing bodies.

I daresay I could look out the various Directives etc which prove this, but I simply couldn't be arsed; it's up to you whether you accept this or not.

As for the intervention of certain politicians (not coincidentally in the run-up to elections etc), as the man says:
"What else do you expect from a pig, only grunts?"  >:(
Not quite out of the blue
The diktat was sought after and expected by the IFA. 

From May 26
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=3426&ArticleID=1527930
"The  IFA never objected to players holding a republic passport wanting to play for Northern Ireland – but stressed they couldn't because of FIFA diktat."

The IFA deep throat
"Now FIFA have confirmed 100 per cent that the IFA were right and that a player wishing to play in a competitive match must hold a UK passport."

AFAIR ALL NI supporters thought FIFA got it 100% wrong.
AFAIR  quite a few suspected that the IFA bungled it initially.
Not scientific I know, but reading that Newsletter article looks to me that the IFA fecked up but made a recovery of sorts.

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 29, 2007, 02:01:20 PM
As for Willie John, I clearly am missing something - just what on earth do you mean by citing him in this context?

You wrote
"P.S. As for the presence of Willie John somehow legitimising these arrangements"

Exactly.
Even the sight of Willie John leaving the pitch draped in a tricolour meant diddly.
Same goes for your naming of
Gerry Armstrong or Martin O'Neill or Pat Jennings or Gerry Armstrong.

magickingdom

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 29, 2007, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on July 29, 2007, 04:24:53 PM

Having (somehow) got from Worthington's (non) comment on NI leaving Windsor, to the issue of the eligibility of NI-born players to represent the FAI, you made a couple of posts which show a clear lack of understanding of the jurisdiction and legal accountability of FIFA, including:

eg, as ever your nearly right! not just criminal law any law. ie laws on equality, all citizens are equal (except in the uk and other non liberad democracys where some are born to rule  ). fifa member organisations will ALWAYS be subject to the laws of the land in each country in which they operate. does the bosman ruling ring a bell. no doubt when fifa rule on eligibility they will be cognizant of this ..

On matters such as Eligibility, FIFA is quite simply NOT bound by any international treaties, agreements or laws passed by unconnected organisations (inc. Governments) to which it is not a signatory, nor has it ever been.

Rather, so long as its operations do not contravene any criminal law, it will not tolerate any interference by any national governments in the internal footballing affairs of its (i.e. FIFA's) Member Associations. Further, when faced by such interference, it will readily have recourse to an effective remedy, i.e. to suspend or dismiss the National Association from Membership of FIFA, such Membership being a privilege, not a right. Invariably when faced with such a threat, the Government in question either comes to a compromise which is acceptable to FIFA, or withdraws entirely.

What you seem to overlook is that FIFA has had almost 100 years of dealing with Governments of every shade imaginable. They know pretty well what comes within their powers and what doesn't. International player eligibility is one of those, and Bosman-type players contracts is not.

Whereas not only do you not know the difference, but you don't even appear to have understood that there is a difference in the first place.

Anyhow, it's all found here:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/statutes%5f08%5f2006%5fen%5fpdf%5f52.pdf
See especially Art.17 - Bodies on Pg.12, Article 62 - Obligations on Pg. 41, Article 53 - Principle on Pg 42 and the Regulation re. Player Eligibility under Article 15 on Pg. 60.

For some recent examples of FIFA prohibiting external interference in the running of a National Association's affairs, see:
FYR Macedonia - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/media/newsid=537948.html#fyr+macedonia+fifa+uefa+satisfied+with+restoration+statutory+legality
Poland - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/releases/newsid=110160.html
Kenya - http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/releases/newsid=112991.html
Yemen- http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/administration/releases/newsid=99756.html
General - http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/releases/newsid=94282.html

Enjoy... ;)

unbelievable, fifa rule the world according to you. i give up and no doubt when fifa rule as i predict they will you'll have some other line..

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on July 29, 2007, 10:24:53 PM
unbelievable, fifa rule the world according to you. i give up and no doubt when fifa rule as i predict they will you'll have some other line..

That's actually the complete opposite of what he said but sure don't let the facts get in your way. FIFA run football competitions they don't do anything else, if you want to compete in their competitions you have to abide by their rules, the same as any other sport.

magickingdom

Quote from: SammyG on July 29, 2007, 10:27:07 PM

That's actually the complete opposite of what he said but sure don't let the facts get in your way. FIFA run football competitions they don't do anything else, if you want to compete in their competitions you have to abide by their rules, the same as any other sport.

no shit sammy and if fifa want to operate in any country in the world they have to abide by the laws of that country. the whole point i was trying to make is that fifa are NOT the final rule maker no matter what their constitution says....

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on July 29, 2007, 10:34:33 PM
Quote from: SammyG on July 29, 2007, 10:27:07 PM

no shit sammy and if fifa want to operate in any country in the world they have to abide by the laws of that country. the whole point i was trying to make is that fifa are NOT the final rule maker no matter what their constitution says....

WTF are you on about of course FIFA are the final rule maker, as far as their football competitions are concerned. What laws are FIFA breaking?

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 02:11:16 PM
The IFA split from the main footballing organisation in Ireland by its refusal to embrace an all ireland footballing administration and one team concept.

Fearon's bullshitting agenda laid clear.

Fact - the IFA was formed in 1880 as the governing association for the whole island
Fact - the IFA formed the Ireland international team in 1882
Fact - the FAI was formed in 1921 as a breakaway from the IFA
Fact - the IFA protested strongly to the International Board regarding admitting the FAI as a governing association, arguing it was the governing association for the whole island. However the FAI was accepted by FIFA, and recognised by the International Board as the governing association for the Irish Free State in 1923.
Fact - the FAI began competing in full international football in 1926, picking an Irish Free State team.
Fact - the IFA continued to pick a team it called Ireland including players from the Free State/RoI/etc up to 1950 when the FAI 'persuaded' serveral southern players not to play for (Northern) Ireland
Fact - the FAI picked a small handful of players from NI in 1936-8 and 1946 having renamed the Irish Free State team 'Ireland'
Fact - the team name Northern Ireland only officially came about in 1954 following the FAI's protest to FIFA. FIFA ordered the teams to be officially known as Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, which remains in force today. (The IFA reluctantly complied, having been allowed to continue to use the title 'Ireland' in Home Championship games. They would only embrace the name Northern Ireland, for all matches, in the 1970s)