The OWC mask slips - read and feel the hatred

Started by T Fearon, July 25, 2007, 10:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

My point here is that OWC allegedly promote's Football for All, and host back slapping award ceremonies to honour each other for doing so. What credibility has this got now?

I still maintain that this thread is a microcosm in general for the North of Ireland support and its plain to see why the team attracts no cross community support and is shunned by 45% of the population

As for making allegations about peoples past deeds that is reprehensible. There is at least one unionist paramilitary murderer who is an ordained minister with Paisley's Church, yet we don't go round protesting about the erection of Free Presbyetrain Churches

T Fearon

Also NIfan, whether you like the OO or not, or vote for Unionist parties or not is irrelevant. It is claer that those members of OWC and Unionist politicians who are members of the OO who oppose the Maze because of the alleged terrorist shrine are hypocrits as they parade behind banners glorifying unionist paramilitary murderers. This is a fact and I would welcome your admission of it

GweylTah

I'm amused that this T Fearon character, and others, seem so upset/shocked at some of the more hardline comments that appear on that thread that is linked to, while being blind to some of the frequently shockingly anti-Brit/Prod/Unionist stuff that is posted here often.

Or perhaps the soccer forum users should feel complimented that the T Fearons, etc, of this world expect higher standards from those on the soccer forum than on this one?  Hmmmmmmm ....

his holiness nb

Gweltyah, what about shockingly anti-irish/gaa/nationalist stuff thats posted on here?
I'm surprised you didnt mention any of that, especially as a lot of it comes from you.

At least we dont spend our day over on OWC trying to stir up arguments  ::)

But again, rather that comment on the title subject you reply, not to condemn the comments, but to point out the "balancing" comments from the other side, as you perceive them, how terribly original  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

GweylTah

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 25, 2007, 12:15:20 PM
Gweltyah, what about shockingly anti-irish/gaa/nationalist stuff thats posted on here?
I'm surprised you didnt mention any of that, especially as a lot of it comes from you.

But again, rather that comment on the title subject you reply, not to condemn the comments, but to point out the "balancing" comments from the other side, as you perceive them, how terribly original  ::)

You know what, I think you're badly in need of relief - ANY relief.  Hope you're old enough and that someone will even take you by the hand.

;D

his holiness nb

In my thirtees and happily married with no sexual tension if thats what you are asking  :-\

I just dont like wankers!
Ask me holy bollix

GalwayBayBoy

Certainly doesn't look good when the likes of Sickboy on OWC are actually Admin over there. A bigger bigotted barsteward you'd be hard pushed to meet.

From what I can see the GAA have a preference for a site outside Belfast as they have to cater for the whole of Ulster not just the housing estates of Belfast and plus they already have a ground in Belfast.

How far out is the Maze from Belfast anyway? Many modern grounds in big cities these days require a bit of travelling to get to and I would have thought that OWC brigade would have jumped at the chance of having any half-decent stadium offered to them rather than demanding that it only be situated wherever it suited them.

T Fearon

The whole point is that they don't want to share anything with the GAA/Fenians (insert your own term).

The Maze is at most 15 minutes away from Belfast where most of the pubs don't want OWCers (ie players or supporters, ask Healy ;D) anyway and is linked by a motorway. It is the ideal and indeed only viable location for a muti sports stadium/lesiure entertainment complex

It all boils down to as I see it who should wirled the bigger influence. the GAA (33,000 attended the Ulster Final in Clones a week and a half ago) or a soccer team that attracts 6000 in bad times or 13,000 when it defeats mediocrities like England, Sweden and Spain.

I have no doubt that if the GAA did agree to a stadium in Belfast the bigots would find some other excuse

phpearse

Notice that the bbc.co.uk/ni website has not published any comments from the Ulster Council relating to their statement. Either an oversight on behalf of the bbc or poor pr work from the Ulster Council. In any case in todays paper we can read what the position of the Ulster Council is and it is in stark contrast to the information we heard yesterday:

QuoteUlster did not say no to Belfast stadia plans  
GAA  
By Paddy Heaney  

Ulster Council secretary Danny Murphy has refuted claims that the GAA has refused to agree to a multi-sports stadium being built in Belfast.

Northern Ireland Sports Minister Edwin Poots was reported as telling a meeting of the Assembly's culture comittee that the GAA ruled out proposed stadia both on Belfast's north foreshore and in the Titanic Quarter.

Gaelic games, soccer and rugby would be played at any future venue and plans have been drawn up for a 35,000-capacity stadium at the Maze site, outside Lisburn.

However, Ulster secretary Murphy has strongly denied the suggestion that the northern GAA body had taken a stance against a stadium in Belfast.

He insisted that the Ulster Council had simply expressed its preference for the Maze site without ever taking a negative position on a city-based stadium. Murphy also noted that the Ulster Council had never been asked to consider the Titanic Quarter site.

article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murphy said: "The Ulster GAA considered the two sites which were put forward to us, one on the northern foreshore, and the other one was the Maze/Long Kesh site.

"As far as we were concerned, the Titanic Quarter was eliminated by the time it got to the stage where we were involved.

"We chose the Maze/Long Kesh site because we believe it represented the best location.

"We did not take a decision against a Belfast site. We took a pro-active view on behalf of the Council's need for a stadium and its location.''

When asked to explain why the Ulster Council preferred the former prison site, Murphy cited finance and accessibility for the entire province as key reasons.

"When the matter was put to us, the economic argument had already reduced the field to two. The economic argument favoured the Maze/Long Kesh site as opposed to the northern foreshore," said Murphy.

"Our preference would be to take in the jurisdiction of the province of Ulster.

"We cover the nine counties of Ulster and teams from all across it. If the stadium was going to meet a useful purpose it had to be accessible for the all of the teams that play in our jurisdiction.

"When we looked at the two sites our preferred option was for the Maze,'' he added.

When asked if he was annoyed that the DUP politician had appeared to misrepresent the Ulster Council's position on the issue, Murphy said: "I don't have a transcript of what he was supposed to have said so I can't comment.

"All I can say is that we expressed our preference from the two sites which were put before us at the time.''

Poots made the comments yesterday during a meeting of the Assembly's culture committee, which was called during the summer recess in order to address the controversial issue.

During the meeting Poots stated that the Irish Football Association was open to various sites, but its chief executive, Howard Wells, had a personal preference for the Maze.

Poots told the committee that rugby's Ulster Branch favoured a Belfast site – but that the GAA was opposed to a stadium in the city.

Could one of our OWC posters perhaps let the guys over on OWC know the true position of the Ulster Council on this matter!!

BallyhaiseMan

reading GalwayBoys post i looked up that sickboys posts,

Theres one long one where he tars all GAA supporters in South Armagh i think it is as Provo supporters and wants all Republican supporters removed from the streets of Ulster etc etc.

Nice.

snatter

Quote from: phpearse on July 25, 2007, 12:59:17 PM
Notice that the bbc.co.uk/ni website has not published any comments from the Ulster Council relating to their statement. Either an oversight on behalf of the bbc or poor pr work from the Ulster Council. In any case in todays paper we can read what the position of the Ulster Council is and it is in stark contrast to the information we heard yesterday:

QuoteUlster did not say no to Belfast stadia plans  
GAA  
By Paddy Heaney  

Ulster Council secretary Danny Murphy has refuted claims that the GAA has refused to agree to a multi-sports stadium being built in Belfast.

Northern Ireland Sports Minister Edwin Poots was reported as telling a meeting of the Assembly's culture comittee that the GAA ruled out proposed stadia both on Belfast's north foreshore and in the Titanic Quarter.

Gaelic games, soccer and rugby would be played at any future venue and plans have been drawn up for a 35,000-capacity stadium at the Maze site, outside Lisburn.

However, Ulster secretary Murphy has strongly denied the suggestion that the northern GAA body had taken a stance against a stadium in Belfast.

He insisted that the Ulster Council had simply expressed its preference for the Maze site without ever taking a negative position on a city-based stadium. Murphy also noted that the Ulster Council had never been asked to consider the Titanic Quarter site.

article continues

Murphy said: "The Ulster GAA considered the two sites which were put forward to us, one on the northern foreshore, and the other one was the Maze/Long Kesh site.

"As far as we were concerned, the Titanic Quarter was eliminated by the time it got to the stage where we were involved.

"We chose the Maze/Long Kesh site because we believe it represented the best location.

"We did not take a decision against a Belfast site. We took a pro-active view on behalf of the Council's need for a stadium and its location.''

When asked to explain why the Ulster Council preferred the former prison site, Murphy cited finance and accessibility for the entire province as key reasons.

"When the matter was put to us, the economic argument had already reduced the field to two. The economic argument favoured the Maze/Long Kesh site as opposed to the northern foreshore," said Murphy.

"Our preference would be to take in the jurisdiction of the province of Ulster.

"We cover the nine counties of Ulster and teams from all across it. If the stadium was going to meet a useful purpose it had to be accessible for the all of the teams that play in our jurisdiction.

"When we looked at the two sites our preferred option was for the Maze,'' he added.

When asked if he was annoyed that the DUP politician had appeared to misrepresent the Ulster Council's position on the issue, Murphy said: "I don't have a transcript of what he was supposed to have said so I can't comment.

"All I can say is that we expressed our preference from the two sites which were put before us at the time.''

Poots made the comments yesterday during a meeting of the Assembly's culture committee, which was called during the summer recess in order to address the controversial issue.

During the meeting Poots stated that the Irish Football Association was open to various sites, but its chief executive, Howard Wells, had a personal preference for the Maze.

Poots told the committee that rugby's Ulster Branch favoured a Belfast site – but that the GAA was opposed to a stadium in the city.

Could one of our OWC posters perhaps let the guys over on OWC know the true position of the Ulster Council on this matter!!

Interesting that BBC NI have had no problems reporting Wells "clarification" of his position.

Even if the GAA has been typically poor on the PR front, surely somebody in the BBC NI sports section must read the IN?
Or maybe not, and thats the problem with their lobsided reporting.

The real story here should be that the two sports bodies chiefs have categorically denied the ministers claims. The bbc should be pressurising poots to explain the basis and motivation for his statement.

Long time dead

Quote from: GweylTah on July 25, 2007, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 25, 2007, 12:15:20 PM

You know what, I think you're badly in need of relief - ANY relief.  Hope you're old enough and that someone will even take you by the hand.

;D

I love the way you berate anyone who makes an insulting comment towards you.  Though in your world  it's quite alright for you to to it when on the back foot - you really are one hateful w**ker.

Bensars

The latest installment.

Have the whole thing collapse, blame the GAA and then get a purpose built stadium.

The people making the decisions should be directed to the OWC chatrooms prior to making any decisions

QuoteQUOTE(bangor_boy @ Jul 25 2007, 11:31 AM)
Sorry forgot to put his name in there Wells it would be

I'm wondering if Wells isn't playing a hugely clever game, you know

I'm willing to accept that he's a complete tool who wants to impose the Maze on us all as a testament to his ego/legacy and doesn't give a toss what anyone thinks.

But perhaps, just perhaps, he's trying to turn the IFA's position of weakness into one of strength. At the moment, through the fault of previous (and maybe current) mismanagement, the IFA is f*cked. It has a stadium that's falling apart, no money of its own to build a new one and a revenue stream from likely limited use of a new stadium that is going to make borrowing the cash and meeting repayments and running costs a damn tall order.

So you can see why a free stadium at the Maze is a gift horse at whose mouth it might seem unwise for the IFA to take a gander. And that's Wells' public position. In contrast, the other sports can take the Maze or leave it, the GAA (although perhaps under political pressure) is fine for stadia, as is rugby unless Ulster's fortunes return to the heady days of '99. I'm guessing they also have more consistent revenue to afford to pay for upgrades at their existing homes.

Wells' problem is us, we don't want the Maze. If, however, he continues to back it, but the project falls through because of the GAA and/or the Ulster Branch or through opposition from local politicians or simply that the sums don't add up, then the IFA suddenly switches into a position of strength. It can say to the government, we backed your pet scheme to the hilt, it wasn't our fault it fell through, please reward us with a big chunk of the cash you promised and we'll build our own stadium. We'll even share it with the rugger boys if and when they need it. Unfortunately, we won't have room for a GAA pitch and they don't want a Belfast stadium anyway.

I stil suspect Wells is a tool. But maybe, just maybe, he's playing a blinder

T Fearon

Really, if these twats didn't exist, you would have to invent them.

They are full of self importance when few actually give a shit about Northern Irish soccer at club or international level.

The fact is without GAA supporters economic input a new stadium anywhere is simply not sustainable.

There are some really hateful cnuts on OWC  alright. Mooretwin, Sickboy, Roger to name but three

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Bensars on July 25, 2007, 01:18:23 PM
The latest installment.

Have the whole thing collapse, blame the GAA and then get a purpose built stadium.

The people making the decisions should be directed to the OWC chatrooms prior to making any decisions

I'd say the conspiracies have gone to Bangor Boy's head at this stage.  Of course there is the salient fact that many on that discussion board firmly believed that the GAA only got involved to veto the whole thing and sew it into Northern Irish soccer.   Lately that has lost currency to the belief that the GAA are in cohoots with the Shinners to get a terrorist shrine.

It's takes years of dellusional paranoia to get that level.    I've no doubt if that this issue, and many other issues were divvied up by the DUP and Shinners before they go into government.  Naturally Poots can't say that but in the end the DUP probably conceeded the "terrorist shrine" and the stadium location long since.   Eventually they'll realise it's the DUP not the GAA that's running this show.

/Jim.