Where now for Galway?????

Started by MaroonAndWhite, July 21, 2007, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galway15

Saw this written by a poster on hoganstand and it makes interesting reading:

Galway Team Selection
I for one was not surprised with Galway's defeat yesterday. After John O'Mahony came in and showed what Galway can do when the best players from all over the county are picked, it seems we have returned to the dark old days of Galway teams dominated by north board players (with a few Salthill players thrown in for good measure!). 4 of Galway's 6 backs yesterday were from Corofin. Now if the Corofin backs couldn't keep Milltown at bay last weekend then how on earth were they going to keep a county forward line out? I'm not finding fault with the players in question here - they train hard and play their best and of course want to do well. It is firmly a problem that lies with the management. As someone who follows club football in Galway very closely I have been amazed in the last few years with the players that have been brought in for trials games etc with Galway and, more importantly, the players who have not. Seeing Ja come out of retirement last year really took the biscuit for me personally. Ja is an absolute legend in Galway football but his day is gone (unfortunately). There are many fine footballers in the west board who never seem to get a chance with Galway. Add to this the laughable situation with club fixtures, whereby games are continually cancelled due to county commitments, and is it any wonder that:
A) The standard of football team being sent out by Galway is severely lacking
B) Club players are getting increasingly disillusioned with the GAA.

Firstly players aren't being given a chance with Galway - and then they are denied the opportunity to play matches where they might actually impress and force their way into the county managements plans.

Galway football is in need of a major overhaul, from the management to the county board. Of course nothing is going to happen at county board level so I will at the very least ask them this:
A)That they appoint a management team that will look fairly at every player in the county and not just at players from certain areas/clubs.
B) That when a new management team is appointed very strict rules are laid down about the provision of players to their clubs for matches and that club fixtures are given equal priority to the county team.

Maybe then we'll see some progress in Galway football.

By the way DJ Galiv CillĂ­n de Paor would be a great choice by any new manager....You clearly havent seen him in club games in the last 3 years against the so called great county players! he's a fantastic player..i guarantee you ask any county player if he should be on the squad and you would get a positive reply....before u reply to me i aint from his club or know him but you my friend are clueless!!!!!!

Duine Eile

I saw Cillian de Paor in a club match not two weeks ago and the lad, god love him, couldn't kick shit off a stick. Young Keighrey (I think, he was Caltra no.12) from Caltra looked like a lad to keep an eye on though.I see someone mentioned Mike Mitchell for a shot on the panel, a couple of years ago maybe, but don't think he's really be up to it. If I was to pick anyone from the Killererin team it'd be Micheal Keane, about 6 foot 5 and can catch a ball over his head and can score.

Redgreenery

Galway are average now, they need to get rid of some of the older players with to many miles on their legs, bring in some new players with potential and talent, they need to scout around the county to find these guys, I'd agree with what was said at Galway needing a new Manager, I cant see P Forde bringing them much further than the quater finals at this stage of his own career.

As to Connaught Football, this year it is poor, 1 team in the quater finals is bad and even worse everyone wants to draw them, and the fact no Connaught team came out of the qualifiers, next year I'd expect more from Galway and Mayo, with a possible place for Sligo or Leitrim, but no miracles next year, but Connaught football will make its way back on the road again in the next 2 or 3 years.

Rossfan

Quote from: Redgreenery on July 23, 2007, 07:20:44 PM
no Connaught team came out of the qualifiers, next year I'd expect more from Galway and Mayo, with a possible place for Sligo or Leitrim, .

There are FIVE Counties in Connacht ya ......... >:(
Jasus lad I hope you are left atin' your words next year.
Then again maybe you're Maughan   :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2007, 07:29:23 PM
no Connaught team came out of the qualifiers, next year I'd expect more from Galway and Mayo, with a possible place for Sligo or Leitrim, .

Who the 5'th London or New York?  :D

Redgreenery

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 23, 2007, 07:31:22 PM

:D :D :D Theres 6, hes wrong, London, New York, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim. :D ;)

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Redgreenery on July 23, 2007, 08:20:55 PM
Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 23, 2007, 07:31:22 PM

:D :D :D Theres 6, hes wrong, London, New York, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim. :D ;)

I think the introduction of Paris or Warikshire as the 7'th might be on the cards  :D

GalwayBayBoy

For what it's worth Jim Carney was on Newstalk this evening and he said he was talking to Padraig Joyce today and that Padraig has NO intention of retiring and indeed that he intends to play on for at least another two years if selected.

Galway15

Duine eile...you clearly dont know your players ya smug idiot....I saw against caltra he wasnt at his best but jaysus he was lording it against Corofin in the first round.next thing you will want Wrapper and John Wilson on the Galway panel!!!!!!!! If the likes of De Paor doesnt deserve a crack Michael Keane certainly doesnt! not great god bless him...id agree Mike Mitchell is a good player..played against him..terrific player in fact...what about David warde, Robert Hughes, Paul Gately or Seamie crowe?

Duine Eile

Fair enough didn't see him against Corofin but I've seen plenty of club, school, college and under age games he's played in and he's never impressed me, but that's just my opinion, you obviously have your own. Don't be so defensive!David Warde and Seamie Crowe have been on the panel in the past, might be worth another look. And no, I don't want John Wilson and Wrapper on the Galway team, but yes, Micheal Keane is one for the future in my opinion. Sorry for daring to disagree with you. ::)
Don't think Padraic Joyce is finished yet either, a lot will depend on who takes over as manager I'd say.

johnpower

Galway fans who do you  think is the best man for the job and who will get it?

Duine Eile

Not a bloody clue and that's the honest truth. Changes are expected at the county board top table this autumn so that will probably have a baring on who's considered for the job.

ross matt

Seanie I dont think you should take the fact that people here are saying the standard of Connacht football has dropped to be an insult to Sligo. There is no getting away from the fact that our province is not in good shape at the minute. I actually think the Sligo side of 2001/2002 were a better side than the present one. In 2001 (unfortunately for them) they arrived at a time when Galway ended up AI champions, Mayo won the league and we won the Connacht championship. In fact if I recall correctly Sligo, Mayo, Galway and Ross were the 4 league semi finalists that year. That in itself shows you how much Connacht football has fallen back. But this year Sligo could only beat what was in front of them and indeed should have beaten ourselves and Galway by more. I've no doubt they'll keep the flag flying for Connacht in the qualifiers and I wish them the best of luck.

Galway15

After o mahony and Forde (who is surely gone!!!) we will probably go in house...Eoin o Donnellan maybe? he seems to know his stuff and from my sources he's a great man manager..as regards players coming in ive been to loads of games over the last few years and will be interesting who gets a proper crack..or Duine eile You fancy Billy Joyce for manager? Ah now you know im codding with ya :P
By the way on a Killererin note i threw a few bob on them for the frank fox...wide open with corofin gone and i know Padraig joyce being the man he is will be mad to show everyone he'd not finished..plus Nicky who was sublime the last day wont be stopped..mike mitchell, Tommy J, Damien Fla, Jonathon keane...good players

Clarin Pearl

There was never a chance that Joyce was going to quit. It said loads about both men that it took joyce to give out about cullinane to Forde for the most obvious move of the match to happen. Bane in for cullinane. Padraig is a cocky fecker when he gets going but he was so right. He came on and sorted out the half forward line in a way that Fallon just wasn't doing.

I'd still be looking for John Devane to get a run again(i'm not the biggest club football watcher). It was a joy to see Mikie Meehan hitting frees from 50 yards. 2 beauties at either end of the field. The threat from the 40 has to return to drag out the oppositions bulk defence.