Cmon Tyrone, do the right thing ffs

Started by Mike Sheehy, July 20, 2007, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

I'm loath to comment on this topic as our tyrone brethren will think an armagh vewpoint is biased. however, i think tyrone shold offer a replay. there is enough precendent in this area already and the moral high ground is not that often as readily available.

Uladh

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 21, 2007, 11:49:31 AM
The Derry player over carried the ball for their goal and this wasnt given by the ref, that mistake had a bigger bearing on the outcome the umpires mistake.

You are not comparing like for like. one incident is a matter of judgement, influenced by referee's discretion. whether the ball was over the bar or not is a matter of black or white fact.

Elias

I think the replay should be offered, despite the fact that Tyrone are "dammed if the do, dammed if they don't". If a match was offered, yes another game would need to be played, but lets face it, if the umpire had been wearing the right specs and not the pair he uses for reading the Irish News family notices, the game would be being played reagrdless.

If we don't offer a replay I will feel for the Derry minors, the window of opportunity to win a minior Ulster medal for any player is obviously small, so they deserve another crack at us.

Come on Tyrone Board, offfer the replay, we'll win by 5 and that'll be the end of the arguement.

screenexile

It was supposed to be done and dusted last night. Anyone know what the story is now??

rrhf

as unfair as the point disallowed was on Derry, it would be equally as unfair to tell a minor captain and his team to forget about walking up the steps and lifting the cup that it meant nothing.  I feel that in this situation which believe me no one is happy about that both teams focus ahead and not backwards.  2 years ago Down minors won an all ireland.  In the first round, they beat a Tyrone team with a goal scored 5 1/2 minutes into injury time.  The time allowed was wrong -  the goal scorer clearly picked the ball off the deck but it was gone and over.  Result had to stand despite how we felt.  i dont think those close to the Derry team, are interested either - as a few Derry men commented in the immediate aftermath they were embarassed - saying it was the county board raising the fuss - the same county board who let themselves down by yapping about Paddy Bradley a couple of years ago. As a tyrone man i would say that Derry can use if for additional motivation - if both teams are good enough they will meet again or indeed if Derry go further they can always slag off an unjust win.  Like An aggrieved Tyrone in 05 Derry must channel their energy now into proving that it was a freak result and it could win them the ai minor title iif they do it right.      

Elias

I'm sure Derry need no motivation to play Tyrone at any time, let alone after last Sunday.

Louper

i think the pressure is bein put on the wrong people here. the games over. what happened happened, it wasnt tyrones fault so i dont see why they should be punished. as for the GAA they have to get the finger out and make umpires a more important part of the game. its a disgrace that the man standing at that post couldnt see it was a score. its a matter that has constently caused problems and now is the time to sort it. umpires think its a fckin day out for them. if they wanna relax and watch the game then go to the stands. otherwise do ure bloody job, just look at the controversy that is caused by their laid back attitude to the game. umpires need to get a rap on the knuckles and not just be pieces of goalpost decorations.

Tyrone Dreamer

How is over carrying the ball a matter of judgement? Your allowed four steps, the rule is simple. Also Uldah were u in favour of Armagh offering Tyrone a replay in the 05 ulster senior The ref clearly made 2calls that later were proved t be wrong that undoubtly effected the result of the match. Id guess u werent calling for a replay then. Another match between these 2 would do neithers all ireland ambitions any good. If theyre as they think they'll meet again at the semi stage.

Uladh

this is like playschool.

there is an element of discretion on an overcarry call. refs can claim playing advantage to a fouled player, can claim to be unsure or unsighted, etc.

for a point, the ball either went over the bar or it didn't.

are you so mentally impaired that you cannot make a judgement on an independent game of football without wailing your guts out about previous beatings? whether the ref was right or not in those instances is a matter of opinion rather than a matter of fact. surely even the cerebrally challenged can recognise that much?

Tyrone Dreamer

I certainly wouldnt be telling another county what way they should react to a situation like this. Yes the ref can give the player the benefit of the doubt but that wasnt the case in this situation, it was a clear over carry. Its ok to take the moral high ground when another county is involved but u lads werent so keen in 05. We got the sweetest revenge of all in the semi and maybe something similar will happen for Derry. If they get a replay they could win and then give Tyrone motivation to beat them in an all ireland semi. Id give up an ulster medal to take a crack at an all ireland final given the choice.

rrhf

Uladh In the last 20 years here are a number of hard luck stories:
early 90 s Tyrone V Armagh in the athletic grounds - a superb 25 yard screamer from Raymond Munroe hits the crossbar and bbounces to the net.  Referee Damian Campbell disallows the goal for no explicable reason to this day.  Armagh win by 2.  Do Armagh offer replays.  Like f**king hell they do?
early 90s Tyrone V Derry- Damina Cassidy takes a 9 step goal to win the game at the very death. Appeal me arse.
Armagh V Tyrone 05 " best footballers on the field sent off wrongly-  appeal yer hole.
Armagh V Tyrone drawn game armagh win replay in Omagh.  Colm Donaghy sent off after Mc Quillan takes the dive of his life.  Appeal no not on my watch.
Dubs AIFinal 95.  refs mistake at the end cost Tyrone a draw - refs mistake in the middle allowed redmond the early shower dodger to stay on. No appeal.
Tyrone V Meath 96.  Should have appealed.
Tyrone V Armagh 2002. Illegal fistpass sets up Armaghs winning  goal. sick yes appeal no But to me it will forever tarnish armaghs aifinal win( ;)).
How annoying a list is that.  It covers a lot of championship exits.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrone Dreamer

I thought there was a push in the run up to Monaghans goal in the 88' ulster final. Would prob b a bit late appealing now. U forgot Tyrone last point that was disallowed in the 95 final for a pick up that nevr was rrhf. There was also 2 touches on the ground in the lead up to Armaghs goal in the 05 ulster final not given by the ref which could be seen clear as day on the tv. Definately effected the end result.

The Real Laoislad

What about Ian Robertson picking the ball off the ground against Laois in '99 then scoring a goal and then Dublin went on to win the replay
Or Thomas Quinn scoring a free and a '45 that shouldn't have been given against Laois in '05
and don't get me started on Bryan Cullens 11 steps against Laois last week :'( :'(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2007, 03:13:57 PM
Uladh In the last 20 years here are a number of hard luck stories:
early 90 s Tyrone V Armagh in the athletic grounds - a superb 25 yard screamer from Raymond Munroe hits the crossbar and bbounces to the net.  Referee Damian Campbell disallows the goal for no explicable reason to this day.  Armagh win by 2.  Do Armagh offer replays.  Like f**king hell they do?
early 90s Tyrone V Derry- Damina Cassidy takes a 9 step goal to win the game at the very death. Appeal me arse.
Armagh V Tyrone 05 " best footballers on the field sent off wrongly-  appeal yer hole.
Armagh V Tyrone drawn game armagh win replay in Omagh.  Colm Donaghy sent off after Mc Quillan takes the dive of his life.  Appeal no not on my watch.
Dubs AIFinal 95.  refs mistake at the end cost Tyrone a draw - refs mistake in the middle allowed redmond the early shower dodger to stay on. No appeal.
Tyrone V Meath 96.  Should have appealed.
Tyrone V Armagh 2002. Illegal fistpass sets up Armaghs winning  goal. sick yes appeal no But to me it will forever tarnish armaghs aifinal win( ;)).
How annoying a list is that.  It covers a lot of championship exits.

Your list contains items which were about decision-making. This was not. An umpire doesn't make a decision, unless the ball is going over the post. When it is going one side or the other, he merely indicates which it did. That is confirmation of a fact and, as I said on another post, he blundered bigtime and had obviously got a white coat when he actually needed a white stick.