Cmon Tyrone, do the right thing ffs

Started by Mike Sheehy, July 20, 2007, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Ulster Council await Tyrone response
20 July 2007

The Ulster Council is awaiting a response from Tyrone to see if the Red Hand County will offer a replay to Derry after last Sunday's controversial one-point victory in the Ulster MFC decider.

The controversial 'point' proved to be wide of the post on television evidence but as it was marked down as a score, it is now up to Tyrone to make the next move if they so wish.

Under the rules it is up to Tyrone to offer a replay and the Ulster Council will make a decision on the tie if this response comes.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Bollocks, that would only hit both countys' chances of going further in the AI, what with playing one game more than their next opponents. There'll be time enough after the All-Ireland to replay the Ulster, if required. And for someone who holds Ulster in such comtempt, MS, you've a rather unhealthy interest in this province, again!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Goin Down

As if they'd want to risk their chances of progression.
Remember This.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on July 20, 2007, 11:14:20 PM
Quotethat would only hit both countys' chances of going further in the AI, what with playing one game more than their next opponents.
I don't see why this is a problem.

Injuries? Why play one game more than your next opponents?

This is just Mike Sheehy stirriing up anti-Tyrone sentiment under a very flimsy pretext again.

ONeill

Perhaps we should look no futher than Kerry's grande gesture in 1999:

Then, last Sunday, we had the Kerry goal that wasn't. Indisputably, the ball was already wide, and well wide, before the second effort went into the net. Indisputably also, it had a huge bearing on the game, eventually won by Kerry by 1-3. As Tipperary coach, Colm Browne, pointed out afterwards, there's more to an unfair goal than just three points, especially in a tight game of football. It affects tactics, approach to scores, with teams passing up point opportunities, perhaps, in an effort to manufacture a goal.

The Kerry goal last Sunday came at a critical stage in the game. Tipperary's backs were to the wall, they were under the most severe pressure, and it looked like Kerry just had to pile up the scores. But Tipp were holding out. With the kind of head-down, dogged, courageous defending any manager or fan loves to see, they were denying the rampant Kerry forwards the clear space, the clean shot.
Then Maurice Fitzgerald soared just outside the small parallelogram, and cleverly broke a high ball down to Gerry Murphy, in a yard of space. Must goal, you thought — but he was forced just a fraction wide, just a little hurried.
Rebound off the back stanchion, straight back into the arms of wide-eyed Gerry, who instantly dispatched it to the back of the net.
No goal, but it was given. And such a goal, lads, is a lot more sapping a goal to concede than a legitimate goal.
There are questions of ethics here, and those are big questions. Forget the bloody rule-books for a minute; forget precedent. What about fair play? What about sportsmanship? What about claiming something what isn't rightfully yours?
The question was asked of me — should Gerry Murphy have put his hand up and said it wasn't a goal (or Maurice Fitzgerald later in the game, if his disputed point was actually wide).

Apparently if Tipperary object, Kerry are unlikely to agree to a replay.

Irish Examiner
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2007, 11:41:09 PM
Perhaps we should look no futher than Kerry's grande gesture in 1999:

Rebound off the back stanchion...

Wide or what!

The Real Laoislad

Laois gave Carlow a replay back in the 90's when we got a point that wasn't..Pity everyone wasn't like Laois people the world would be a far better place 8)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

johnpower

Mike I knew that one would be brought up . Any way it did kerry no good in 99 , What was the story of the game i read it was early in the game ? Any way from what I am reading elsewhere it is between Derry Tyrone and Laois to win the minors . Feck the quality of umpires is getting worse Now with all the direct ball into the full forward we expect them to moniter the square ball as well ,Look at the guy in Killarney for the 14 yard free

TacadoirArdMhacha

Really don't see why Tyrone should offer a replay. A point wrongly given is no more crucial to a match than a late scorable free wrongly given (or not given) and no one suggests replays for that. If I was Derry I'd try and focus on the quarter final, they are at the same stage as Tyrone (not that i agree with that, but that's another arguement) and keeping the heads down and using their grievance as another wee bit of motivation would serve them far better I think.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

johnpower

ONeill

Tipp cause not helped by the goal that wasn't

Kerry 1-11
Tipperary 0-8
by Jim O'Sullivan
ONCE again, one of the football minnows ended up on the wrong side of a controversy in the Bank of Ireland championship, except that in yesterday's Munster first-round game in Tralee it had nothing to do with the rules.
Champions Kerry won the first-half of the contest as a result of an 8th-minute goal from newcomer Gerard Murphy, which TV pictures showed was not legitimately awarded. More pertinently, in spite of missing two penalties they survived a second-half challenge from a Tipperary side, which, to put it mildly, was highly motivated. That was principally because they showed character, and better finishing, at the stage of the game when the pressure was at its most intense.
At the time that Murphy goaled, there was a furious reaction from the Tipperary backs and 'keeper Philly Ryan. From spectators, there was the suspicion that it was a square goal, but it only emerged at half-time that the RTE camera at that end of the field showed the ball came back into Murphy's hands off a stanchion to the side of the net. After referee Michael Collins from Cork confirmed the score following consultation with two umpires, the Tipperary manger Colm Browne was seen to vent his anger— to the umpire on whose side the ball went outside the post, and who was seen on television to duck when the ball was kicked.
Viewed over the 70 minutes, it wasn't a game that Kerry exactly covered themselves in glory. Nevertheless, considering that in some quarters there was genuine concern that they might lose to Tipperary (for the first time since 1928), there was much to admire in the way the players approached the task from the beginning. Including that goal, they had opened up a six-point lead by the 12th minute. It was notable that replacement full-forward Aodán MacGearailt (standing in for Liam Hassett, ruled out with a thigh muscle problem), made headway at full-forward on a regular basis, that the midfielders (with a confident Dara O´ Sé showing the way) quickly got on top and that the backs were very much in control. In particular, Killian Burns in the left corner and Tomás O´ Sé at right-half, were excelling.
Tipperary took some time to come to terms with their difficulties, particularly in defence. The Kerry forwards, as a group, showed a much greater facility to make space and, invariably, they had time on the ball. In contrast, the Tippp attack found itself frequently closed down. It was symbolised in the way that team captain Declan Browne was well policed by Michael McCarthy. Significantly, while Browne got the team's opening score, from a 5th minute free and always represented a serious threat, he was to be uncharacteristically wasteful in his kicking. By the end he had accumulated eight wides, from play, frees and a fifty, and it gravely undermined their challenge.
However, Kerry were not without their problems in this regard and also wasted chances through poor finishing. Six wides by the 25th minute testified to this and, added to the fact that the Tipperary backs had tightened up and that midfielders Derry Foley and John Costelloe had come much more into the game, they struggled for scores at stages. Tipperary were also a bit more forceful in attack, represented in the main by Peter Lambert's crafty play, the persistent efforts of Seán Maher and Davy Hogan's hard work. The net effect was that at the interval Kerry had only a five-point advantage, 1-6 to 0-3.
While Tipperary made their protest to the Munster chairman Seán Kelly and he in turn spoke to the referee, there was even speculation that the Tipperary team would not resume for the second half. However, after a delay of a few minutes they appeared and clearly incensed by what had happened, proceeded to convert it to positive effort on the field. The consequence was that they virtually controlled the game for about 20 minutes — aided, enormously, it would have to be admitted, by Kerry penalty misses in the 47th minute (when Maurice Fitzgerald's kick was saved) and the 50th minute (when Dara O´ Cinnéide hit harmlessly wide).
At stages, Kerry enjoyed more possession in attack, but, a series of attacks were repulsed. It was also noteworthy that in the same period Browne kicked three wides. But, he still put over one free and got a very good score from play after a marvellous Lambert point. And, when he pointed another free in the 58th minute, the margin was down to a mere two points.
However, that was the nearest Tipp came to possibly earning the draw which would have been regarded as a fair outcome in the prevailing circumstances. Fitzgerald, who came in for some rough treatment a few times, kicked over Kerry's first score of the half four minutes later and, with just one in reply, was followed four others which left them more convincing winners.
Overall, Michael Collins did an excellent job of refereeing. He noted the numbers of 12 players for non-serious fouls, issued six yellow cards and one red. While he wasn't a 100% consistent in this regard, he applied the rules as he was meant to!
Scorers: Kerry - M. Fitzgerald 0-4 (0-3 frees); G. Murphy 1-0; A. MacGearailt 0-3; D. O´ Sé, N. Kennelly, J. McGlynn and Billy O'Shea 0-1 each.
Tipperary: D. Browne 0-4 (0-3 frees); P. Lambert 0-2; S. Maher and D. Byrne 0-1 each.
KERRY: D. O'Keeffe; M. McCarthy, Barry O'Shea, K. Burns; T. O´ Sé, S. Moynihan (capt.), E. Breen; D. O´ Sé, D. Daly; J. McGlynn, N. Kennelly, D. O´ Cinnéide; G. Murphy, A. MacGearailt, M. Fitzgerald. Subs: Billy O'Shea for McGlynn (54th minute); B. Clarke for Murphy (59th).
TIPPERARY: P. Ryan; C. O'Dwyer, N. Kelly, L. Cronin; B. Hahessy, S. Collum, D. Byrne; J. Costello, D. Foley; S. Maher, D. Horgan, D. Lyons; M. Sheahan, P. Lambert, D. Browne (capt.). Sub: C. O'Shea for Sheahan (41st minute); J. Williams for Lyons (66th).
Referee: M. Collins (Cork).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think Mike Sheehy has a fixation with Tyrone, his last two threads are about our very sweet selves. Perhaps we should have pity, and be kind, and actually admit him into the club? OK Mike, you can join, and you can even keep that shirt, though ditch the accent! ;)

johnpower

now ye know ye  made it  when we are talking about ye

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: johnpower on July 21, 2007, 12:00:24 AM
now ye know ye  made it  when we are talking about ye

You've been talking about us a while before this John, at least I think that's what landed on the back of my Tyrone shirt after 2003!  ;)

Mike Sheehy

I just wanted to see how long it would take before someone mentioned the Tipp game

Tipp wouldnt have won that game despite all ye're blatherin whereas Derry were robbed.

Those Derry lads were heartbroken. Do the right thing and offer a replay.