Thomas Davis v the Government

Started by dublinfella, November 25, 2006, 01:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

develop Rathcoole (if possible)

use the public park being built at the Tallaght Stadium until then...

tayto

Well there'd be no need for Rathcoole unless the fixxture thing at tallaght was a complete nightmare.

Why build a stadium unless you really need it. Tallaght is much much easier to get to then Rathcoole from most of south dublin don't forget!

resdubwhite

Quote from: tayto on January 04, 2007, 03:05:24 PM
i think you're making too much of the fixture pileup, just my opinion.

they can remark lansdowne handy enough - except when the rugby boys have those huge ads in the middle of the pitch. ::)

I'll tell you why i think its an issue. Because the seasons do clash badly. I'd hate to think the DCB are spending time on this, and then be bit part players. However if the planning process for Rathcoole is approved down to this pressure then fair play to all involved.

dublinfella

Softening his stance? He has just repeated what his position has been from day one. Gaelic Games more than welcome but not at the added cost and reduced capacity that redisigning would entail. The Dept are committed to what is still the DCB policy. A stadium in Rathcoole.

Quite clever from the minister, gives TD an face saver if they want it.Remeber the affidavit they are going to the High Court with:

'The youth of Tallaght will be restricted to a diet of Association football' and that a soccer only ground would place the applicant at a severe disadvantage in attracting the youth of Tallaght to our club (Thomas Davis), our sport and the GAA culture'

They have their 'youth' facility if they want it. As they always did. And progress on Rathcoole.

I would love to be a fly on the wall next time TD apply for a grant from the Dept if they dont drop it now....

Josey Whales

Dublinfella i'd like to educate you on the Rathcoole development.
A couple of significant points.

There was no planning permission granted to do anything in relation to the Rathcoole site initially because the SDCC wanted to allow the 'infrastructure' to catch up and that included sporting amenities. The county board didn't bother applying because it hadn't  a prayer
Quoting the SDCC    "South Dublin County Council should identify a suitable location for the development of a major stadium (for up to 20,000 persons) for major GAA games to be held."

As I understand it there has been several local objections to any proposed road. The reality is this in relation to planning in Dublin unless it has the backing of the Government it won't happen.  There has been no commitment by the SDCC in relation to the proposed stadium above.

dublinfella

Quote from: Josey Whales on January 04, 2007, 10:59:09 PM
Dublinfella i'd like to educate you on the Rathcoole development.
A couple of significant points.

There was no planning permission granted to do anything in relation to the Rathcoole site initially because the SDCC wanted to allow the 'infrastructure' to catch up and that included sporting amenities. The county board didn't bother applying because it hadn't  a prayer
Quoting the SDCC    "South Dublin County Council should identify a suitable location for the development of a major stadium (for up to 20,000 persons) for major GAA games to be held."

As I understand it there has been several local objections to any proposed road. The reality is this in relation to planning in Dublin unless it has the backing of the Government it won't happen.  There has been no commitment by the SDCC in relation to the proposed stadium above.

Hold on, the DCB bought a site, admittedly for feck all, that the 'didnt have a prayer' of getting permission for?

The infrastructure was to follow the facilities. Why would SDCC build a road into a field the DCB havent decided what to do with?

The Minister last year

The GAA can't be facilitated in the stadium – it is as simple as that. I don't know why they are persisting with it. They are simply holding up Shamrock Rovers from moving in, that's all that will come of any action. It can go to a hearing but there will be no climbdown by the Government. It is proposed to be the new home stadium for Shamrock Rovers and will have a capacity for 6,000 spectators. The stadium would need to be redesigned to accommodate Gaelic games. The GAA have their own site in Rathcoole and there are 24 acres there that are to be developed and I have said that I would help them with that . but that's not enough for them.

and again in today's Indo

South Dublin CC and the Minister have both repeatedly said that the Dublin County Board should concentrate instead on developing their own 24-acre site in Rathcoole and the SDCC is currently studying a proposal to solve an access problem to this site.

JW, are you with a straight face telling me that the DCB bought lands with no intention of ever developing them? Why are politicians offereing to help build a stadium there? There has been no progress because for some reason the DCB havent done anything with a prime parcel of land gifted to them, not because SDCC are acting up.

I can think of one logical reason why anyone would sit on land in South Dublin. The same reason Ballyboden did.....

Josey Whales

Hang on a second- you really are staring to piss people off with your one sided version of things.

No Govt Minister at any stage prior to O Donoghue saying that ever said they would help with any gaa development at Rathcoole. That was simply political opportunism by ODonoghue when the first objection came in from TD he needed something to fall back on.
With all due respect how the hell do you build a site without a road in? Do you helicopter in the digging equipment? I don't think many of the residents would have been jumping through hoops  with heavy equipment been re-directed their way because there was no road in. You build the road before you build anything else- any planner will tell you that and I know a few of them.
As regards finanical assiistance from the Govt- maybe you could redirect me to some speech made by O Donoghue where he outlines the finanical assistance you re talking about? No i tell you what let's invest it in a failed business down the road who made a balls of it themselves. This financial assistance you are talking about doesn't exist.

I would also be interested to know- where abouts the SDCC has earmarked for the 20,000 Gaa stadium that they themselves committed themselves to. Is it any wonder some of the Gaa people out there are pissed off? As far as I'm concerned Rovers can have their poxy stadium and the Govt should now act on their promise of building this Gaa stadium and outline what financial assistance is available for it. A decade from now we''ll still be waiting.

resdubwhite

THe DCB have earmarked Rathcoole a while back as a centre of excellence. I've read this on several different occasions, both offically and through boards.

If I can find a link I'll post it.

The DCB never planned for a stadium there but the dept of sport want to put one there.

That I'm sure of.
I'm not particurarly comfortable with the GAA coveting their neighbours goods. it looks petty.

snatter

QuoteI'm not particularly comfortable with the GAA coveting their neighbours goods. it looks petty.

That's the whole point of this aggro - these grounds are not our neighbour's goods - IT'S PUBLIC PROPERTY, the development is almost entirely paid for by PUBLIC MONEY. Before the minister intervened, SDCC had decided that a multi sport MUNICIPAL stadium was the way to go.

The GAA community feel aggrieved that they are being excluded from a substantively public bankrolled project. The level of funding given to this project is markedly disproportionate when compared to GAA developments.
This argument is about equity and fairness, full stop.

tayto

Quote from: snatter on January 05, 2007, 10:13:02 AM
QuoteI'm not particularly comfortable with the GAA coveting their neighbours goods. it looks petty.

That's the whole point of this aggro - these grounds are not our neighbour's goods - IT'S PUBLIC PROPERTY, the development is almost entirely paid for by PUBLIC MONEY. Before the minister intervened, SDCC had decided that a multi sport MUNICIPAL stadium was the way to go.

The GAA community feel aggrieved that they are being excluded from a substantively public bankrolled project. The level of funding given to this project is markedly disproportionate when compared to GAA developments.
This argument is about equity and fairness, full stop.

And there we have it. You've got it in one. Why some people are angry with TD over this just goes to show how smal minded some people can be. Imagine standing up for your rights like that.

resdubwhite

Thats a matter of opinion.

I see a public resource that the GAA applied to have access to. Were refused, threw their dodi out of the pram and went to court.

like i said before. THere are bigger fish to fry than Shamrock rovers.

Dublinfella.

See a reasoned debate without getting personal.

bottlethrower7

reservoir dub

first you said

I'm not particurarly comfortable with the GAA coveting their neighbours goods. it looks petty.

then

I see a public resource that the GAA applied to have access to. Were refused, threw their dodi out of the pram and went to court.

feel free to let me know if I've taken your comments out of context but it appears that you're either being inconsistent or else you've just changed your viewpoint.

resdubwhite

i know i know.

on the basis that Rovers were first in and screwed it up, and were bailed out it is a suppose a little bit of both.

I'm more inclined recently to see where Davis are coming from, even though the stalling tactics don't sit well with me.

tayto

... you can't deny the delaying tactic has softened up the minister who is considerably less adamant then he was before christmas. [maybe he read this forum!?!?]

Gnevin

O'Donoghue back-tracks on Tallaght stadium

January 5, 2007

John O'Donoghue TD, the Minister for Sport, has back-tracked on a previous assurance to Shamrock Rovers that the proposed municipal stadium in Tallaght would be developed as a soccer-only venue.

Local GAA clubs, led by Thomas Davis, have objected to the proposals on the grounds that the stadium should be amenable to Gaelic Games.

A High Court judicial review, adjourned last month, will be heard in March, but the prospects of the stadium being built as a soccer-exclusive entity appears to have diminished with Mr O'Donoghue's decision to leave a final call on the stadium to South Dublin County Council.

A statement read: "While the stadium is scheduled for completion as a soccer facility, the Minister would have no objections to South Dublin County Council, which will manage the facility, sanctioning its use by other sporting bodies compatible with it remaining available for senior soccer fixtures."

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/shamrockrovers/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=25920
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.