Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elias

After the amount of press out FB line got after the Ulster final, I won't be surprised to see Meath deploy a similar tactic. I think MH has his work cut out to get his tactics right for this game. Will he play Joe at FB? Probably not. Cormac McGinley? Who do we replace Dooher with if he dosen't make it. Or will it be a case of slapping a few injections into him and let him play through the barrier?

Thursdays nights team sheet will make interesting reading

Tyrones own

I'd say it'll be C. McGinley at #3 with Enda covering for Dooher,
Not convinced with Joe's fittness though for the Middle of the park.
I've a funny feeling we'll see Tommy Starting at 11 and C.Cavanagh
at 14 for this one. Conor maybe given man marking duty which may put
Joey at #6.The rest pretty much unchanged.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Red Nose Red Hand

I need help here guys - I'm going to be in Glasgow on Saturday and I need somewhere to see the matches. Any body know where I can catch them? I'm desperate here, boys. Come on. Help me, please.

agorm

Quote from: meathie on July 30, 2007, 08:16:20 PM
really looking forward to this game. going in with the opinion that we have nothing to lose, as long as Meath play their hearts out thats all I want at this stage of the race. I think we'll put it up to them big time. If Ward can play as he did v Galway and we could get our 3 aces in Geraghty, Bray and Farrell on form together its gonna be a great tie. Think Kenny is a huge loss. Never looks like hes doing major work but in reality runs more than any other back for the 70 mins, doing great defensive work, a huge loss. Harrington too. He was really shaping up this year and I dont think we have anyone to quite fill his boots. Maybe MaGabhann will come in but wasnt impressed with him at all v Galway. Of course we will need another huge game from Fay too. I dont suspect he will let us down but its gonna be tough for him too. anyway should be a good game. I reckon there will be some hard hitting but dont think it will be a rough encounter. Open football hopefully. Come on the Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

We have been hearing all along about Tyrone's injuries but I reckon that Meath's ones are potentially more serious. Without Kenny around I find it hard to see how Meath are going to get the breaking ball which is crucial as Crawford is always batting the ball down. Byrne is probably the best at that after Kenny. I dont know anyone else on the panel that is good at that but I would be inclined to put anybody on the panel that is good in that department into the wing forward position previously occupied by Curran & McLoughlin.

I think that I would go for the following team against Tyrone
Murphy
King
Fay
McKeigue
MacGabhann/ McGuinness/ O' Connor
Moyles
McLoughlin
Ward
Crawford
McCarthy
Reilly
Byrne
Bray
O Rourke
Farrell

I think that we are still beter off keeping Geraghty in reserve for a 2nd half introduction. Moyles is needed at CHB because of the loss of the two backs and the presence of Kavanagh as a serious threat from midfield. Not sure who is the best option between MacGabhan, McGuinness & O' Connor.  I'm sure Coyler & co. will know them a lot better!

Thinking about the team selection makes me realise what a loss Joe Sheridan is, he could have given us more options in this game after losing two key players. You really have to question whether he should ever be invited back into a Meath squad after letting his colleagues down the way he did. When he is really needed he is not there.

stew

Tyrone in a canter. prediction Tyrone 3-14 Meath 0-8.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

thejuice

well i booked me flights home for this one. cant wait, a whole day in croker. looking forward to a good hard game.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Tyrone won't win at a canter - that's for sure ! Meath will compete everywhere on the pitch !

rrhf

I just hope Dooher gets to play in this game, but I wouldnt be feeding him injections for this one nor O Neill.  This is a tough one but if they did get through Cork will be a tough game in the semi final as I predict Tyrone, Cork, Kerry and Dublin to advance.

Hound

Quote from: agorm on July 30, 2007, 11:28:22 PM
Thinking about the team selection makes me realise what a loss Joe Sheridan is, he could have given us more options in this game after losing two key players. You really have to question whether he should ever be invited back into a Meath squad after letting his colleagues down the way he did. When he is really needed he is not there.
Thats harsh agorm. Has something happened since Joe left the panel that I didnt hear about or are you talking about the way he left the panel initially?

Personally I think Joe was treated quite harshly by Coyle, especially with that first half substitution. And I find it very hard to believe that more could not have been done to persuade him to remain in the panel. 

The higher the expectation for a player, the more criticism comes his way for mediocre performances. In my opinion, there was no way Joe was the worst Meath forward in either of the Dublin games, yet he took the brunt of any criticism going. Being taken off in the first half is embarrasing whether its necessary or not. That must have put a huge hole in Joe's confidence, on top of everything else. No surprise that he wanted out. But thats when you try and build a guy up again, especially a guy with the ability he has. Saying "you're right, you need a break" isnt helpful. And then you look at all the efforts made to get Geraghty back. Was there even 5% of that effort made to get Sheridan back?

On a totally separate note: What is the story with Trevor Giles? Was injury the reason he packed-in intercounty or did he just have enough? Does he continue to play for his club?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stew on July 30, 2007, 11:37:24 PM
Tyrone in a canter. prediction Tyrone 3-14 Meath 0-8.

You're worrying me here stew, you predicted both Donegal and Monaghan to do the necessary on us, and look where that got them!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

snappiered

Any more word on our injuries? I heard Dooher broke down on Saturday and O Neill only lasted 15mins. They are both struggling. Also heard a whisper last night that Conor Gormley has a back problem and could be doubtful.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's a recurrent injury if (Conor) Gormley has a back problem, I think!  :o

Can see Ryan Mellon, Enda Mc Ginley, Tommy Mc Guigan, Martin Penrose & Niall Gormley all in the shake-up for the teamsheet.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Uladh

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 30, 2007, 01:04:19 PM
QuoteTyrone's definite weakness under the high ball in the FB presents Meath with a great avenue of attack

As I've said before, I don't see this as an issue if Tyrone expect that type of game.  MH will have an anti-dote in place if this is how he sees them playing*.  Monaghan caught him out in the second half last day as even the greatest visionary in the game can't be expected to predict the opposition will move the full back up to full forward!

*If you don't agree with me have a wee look at how he answered the "high ball question" on the Road to Croker a couple of weeks ago.

How did he answer it?

agorm

Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2007, 08:22:01 AM
Quote from: agorm on July 30, 2007, 11:28:22 PM
Thats harsh agorm. Has something happened since Joe left the panel that I didnt hear about or are you talking about the way he left the panel initially?

Personally I think Joe was treated quite harshly by Coyle, especially with that first half substitution. And I find it very hard to believe that more could not have been done to persuade him to remain in the panel. 

The higher the expectation for a player, the more criticism comes his way for mediocre performances. In my opinion, there was no way Joe was the worst Meath forward in either of the Dublin games, yet he took the brunt of any criticism going. Being taken off in the first half is embarrasing whether its necessary or not. That must have put a huge hole in Joe's confidence, on top of everything else. No surprise that he wanted out. But thats when you try and build a guy up again, especially a guy with the ability he has. Saying "you're right, you need a break" isnt helpful. And then you look at all the efforts made to get Geraghty back. Was there even 5% of that effort made to get Sheridan back?

On a totally separate note: What is the story with Trevor Giles? Was injury the reason he packed-in intercounty or did he just have enough? Does he continue to play for his club?

Maybe I was being a little harsh. However, I did not hear at any stage that they agreed that Joe needed a rest. In fact Dudley was saying throughout the Geraghty saga that Joe was welcome back at any stage. What concerns me about automatically taking back Joe is the question as to whether he is liable to do the same again in future.

Uladh

Is Tommy Dowd involved in the meath set up and if so in what capacity?