Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Tyrone have a batter all round 15 - Meath have a few good individuals but will lack the overall class of Tyrone.

cavanmaniac

Intriguing match. You can say that MH has time to prepare for the high ball in to that porous full back line but every team that faced Kerry last year had time to prepare for Donaghy and couldn't. I know that's not comparing like with like really but Tyrone shouldn't be so c**k sure they can deal with the aerial bombardment. Out of every ten high bombs in, only one has to work to get a goal remember.

That said, in beating Down, Fermanagh and Galway to get this far Meath haven't been playing top class opposition and there's always a tendency on the part of an over-wary media to build Meath up to safeguard themselves against having egg on their faces, once bitten etc. Never was this better illustrated than ahead of the final v Galway in 2001 when Meath were hyped out of it after a one-off abberration by Kerry, while Galway had come through the other side against much better opposition playing much harder games. I collected handsomely on a Galway win by 6+ points that day, one of few betting successes ever for me.

Tyrone have their problems of course but they are a significant few rungs up the ladder from anything Meath have played in last 3 games. Meath are a work in progress and will get better and have edge in size etc. but Tyrone just look a better bet.

I can see this being high scoring enough with Tyrone winning by about three.

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 30, 2007, 01:23:22 PM
Just spoke to a few Dubs there at lunch time and they reckon we'll have no bother with Meath.
They said Dublin were very poor the 1st match and should have beaten them by more in the 2nd game.

The reason Dublin were poor the first day was because Meath were hungrier and tougher. Won more breaking ball and made far more hits. Dublin turned that around the second day. Kenny was a big loss to Meath in both those aspects for the replay and he'll be a big loss IMO. He's not a particularly great footballer, but a valuable one to have in the heat of championship battle (I'd guess he's the type who's championship form is far better than his league form).

Bottom line is that Tyrone will need to match Meath's determination and drive. If they do, they should win. The one caveat is that Meath have yet to play with Bray, Farrell and Geraghty all 100%.

Fuzzman

Yeah I too fear Mickey putting McGinley back to Full back though in fairness to him he hauled him off quite fast in Donegal game, even though he had conceded about 1.2 by that time.

Anynone any ideas why Mickey doesnt like Joey at FB? Does think he's wasted there? Think Mickey is under pressure too with Justy pushing Denephew for No5 Jersey.

I agree there is no full back line can contain EVERY high ball in again and again.
Mickey usually covers it with a spare defender sweeping in front of the target man and then it just being broke.
Gourley must feel a bit better today as Corey did more damage against Paddy Campbell and Co.

If we won enough ball at midfield then you can take a lot of pressure of your full back line
But the FB line get disgruntled if they know that any clearance they make will just come straight back down their throat.

DUBSFORSAM1

Cavanmaniac

Would you not agree though that Monaghan gave Tyrone serious problems by playing the high ball in and apart from Freeman they didn't have a Bray/Geraghty/Farrell around etc to create more havoc....

With the size of the Meath players (Ward, Crawford) etc I would expect them to win more clean possession than Tyrone and especially without Dooher would expect them to evenly pick up the breaking ball....The biggest problem for Tyrone is who they matchup to who....

Geraghty would destroy Rice/Carlin in the air so do you put Gormley on him...if so who takes O'Rourke, Bray, Moyles etc.....the other problem for Tyrone is that Meath don't believe in handpassing the ball around and just deliver it long and early everytime which will stop the Tyrone players flooding back in time...

Star Spangler

Quotejust deliver it long and early everytime

Easy.  We'll put the six defenders in the square.  ;D

magpie seanie

I don't think Meath will focus on hitting long ball all the time. Their natural game is to mix it up and whatever is working then go with that. Harte is a genius manager and if an antidote can be found he's the one to find it alright. Will be very interesting.

Star Spangler

Whatever happens, the predicted problems are rarely the problems that actually arise.

Hardy

Meath have indeed been varying their delivery of the ball from the midfield area this year. The one thing they won't do is try to run the ball into scoring positions, but the delivery has been a mix of long diagonal balls, deliveries along the same wing, either to an out-running corner forward or over the head of the defender and the odd high ball to Geraghty v. Dublin (not enough, IMO, as he had his markers beaten every time) and O'Rourke  v. Fermanagh and Galway - though he didn't really prosper under the high ball, being a bit easily pushed around. We should not forget either that Farrell is very strong at winning his own ball in the air.

Maybe I'm saying too much! ?

Anyway, I haven't seen any team play better ball into its forwards this year than Meath. I do agree, though, that Mickey Harte is the best manager around to come up with the right formula to thwart the  opposition's strengths and he's the member of the Tyrone team that I fear the most.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 30, 2007, 01:23:22 PM
Just spoke to a few Dubs there at lunch time and they reckon we'll have no bother with Meath.
They said Dublin were very poor the 1st match and should have beaten them by more in the 2nd game.

They are no where near as cynical as years ago either and so many expect a quite open hign intensity match.

From the Irish news today, which is now free online for those of ye who dont know, Harte reckons Dooher is a HUGE doubt with O'Neill only a half time sub at best
and Mickey doesnt bullsh*t too much.

Is it just me or is Tommy Freeman a arrogant wee pup. Yeah he's a good player but he's fierce cheeky and in yer face with OTT celebrations.
After the Dub v Laois match we heard loads of talk about Dublin's reactions into defenders faces but Freeman did the exact same and almost headbutted Gourley.

I'm hearing rave reviews over young Bray. Will Ricey be given the task with open knees I mean arms

Did you not watch the games yourself? They were on TV.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Star Spangler

QuoteThe one thing they won't do is try to run the ball into scoring positions, but the delivery has been a mix of long diagonal balls, deliveries along the same wing

Sounds familiar.  The last time we played against that system was in the '05 semi.

Meath = Armagh minus the work ethic.  :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Official, from the GAA:

04.08.07 (Sat) --

Corn Thomás Ó Murchú 2007

Final
P.an Chrocaigh 12.15 Aontroim v Cill Mhantain

Bank of Ireland Craobh Peile Sinsear na hÉireann

Quarter-Finals
P.an Chrocaigh 2.00 Sligeach v Corcaigh
P. an Chrocaigh 4.00 Tir Eoghain v An Mhi
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Is there a double header in Croke park on sunday for the hurling ? Wexford and Kilkenny and Cork and Wateford ? It will be packed to the rafters! That referee is bound to get the All Ireland final now ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on July 30, 2007, 03:53:49 PM
Is there a double header in Croke park on sunday for the hurling ? Wexford and Kilkenny and Cork and Wateford ?

Yep:

Christy Ring Cup Final
Kildare v Westmeath 12.15pm   
(Croke Park)

Guinness All Ireland Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Kilkenny v Wexford 2pm
(Croke Park)

Guinness All Ireland Hurling Championship Quarter Final Replay
Waterford v Cork (extra time if necessary) 4pm 
(Croke Park)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

meathie

really looking forward to this game. going in with the opinion that we have nothing to lose, as long as Meath play their hearts out thats all I want at this stage of the race. I think we'll put it up to them big time. If Ward can play as he did v Galway and we could get our 3 aces in Geraghty, Bray and Farrell on form together its gonna be a great tie. Think Kenny is a huge loss. Never looks like hes doing major work but in reality runs more than any other back for the 70 mins, doing great defensive work, a huge loss. Harrington too. He was really shaping up this year and I dont think we have anyone to quite fill his boots. Maybe MaGabhann will come in but wasnt impressed with him at all v Galway. Of course we will need another huge game from Fay too. I dont suspect he will let us down but its gonna be tough for him too. anyway should be a good game. I reckon there will be some hard hitting but dont think it will be a rough encounter. Open football hopefully. Come on the Royal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)