Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

Cormac McGinley's back fit again.  I'll be waiting to see who Mickey selects at full back for this one - it will be a major decision as whoever he chooses is likely to have to pick up Stephen Bray or Geraghty.  We need the right man there from the start and not have to wait until we're a couple of goals down before something is done!

Fuzzman

Well I predicted Tyrone v Meath but got the rest wrong.

So

Tyrone V Meath
                               Tyone v Cork                   
Sligo v Cork
                                                                             Tyrone v Derry                       Derry win after 2nd Replay.
Kerry v Monaghan
                               Monaghan v Derry
Dublin v Derry             

I think this is the stage where Tyrone start to play their real football as do Kerry.
Up to now its all about results, surviving upsets and learning what needs to be changed.
We learned a lot from the Fermanagh match and looked awesome v Donegal, even if they did role over in the end.
We played poorly against Monaghan for long passages yet still won despite some late scares.
Very similar to both 2003 and 2005 season so far and I think you'll now see the real quality of Tyrone footballers such as hill loving Mugsy and his clubmate young Mulgrew.

I think Stevie O'Neill could play a very important role here on in and think the disguise of his injury, although still exists, has really lowered expectations for him now

I still have a lot of bitterness over the 1996 match myself and when most neutrals comment on that game they compare it to Armagh's style of using big hits to knock you off your own game and so then in the 2nd half they can then play their football and look so much better than you as you are physically exhausted or else just llimping.
I've watch the incident several times where the Angel McConnell STOOD on Doohers head and I just cant work out, how even the most biased supporter can say that was an accident. Fair enough, it wasnt his usual behaviour but it certainly looked like a moment of madness in a hyped up match where the obvious pre match tactic was lets rough up this SMALL footballing team and see how good they really are. It worked to a tee and it woke us up to how to play ugly in the future. Meath were awesome in the second half but maybe its cos we were dead to the world with God looking to the heavens.

We did go into that game much too overhyped and were looking at the final and not at Meath but remember up until half time we were well in the game but the lack of experience was our downfall.

I think this year we have too many match winners all over the pitch and with Mickey Harte now in control I can see us playing a cracker game with the attidude of lets show them all what the real Tyrone are like.

I expect Meath to follow Monaghan's approach of rough us up as much as possible and hit long high balls into Geraghy and Bray.
The question is who will win the most possesion in midfield and to Tyrone this should be all breaking ball this time with Dooher mulgrew and McGinley the main men to Hoover with Gormley, Jordan and maybe even Justy McMahon helping from half back

The Fuzz predicts a cracker game with Tyrone winning by 6 points.

orangeman

Bring them on - Meath are only half the team Tyrone are - Tyrone to win by about 6 points.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 30, 2007, 11:34:51 AM
The Fuzz predicts a cracker game with Tyrone winning by 6 points.

My own feeling too Fuzzman, but if anyone from Meath's asking we'll be as crap against Meath on Saturday as we always were, it's all theirs for the taking with as cast-iron a tradition as that  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DUBSFORSAM1

I would say O'Rourke will be full forward and at about 6'3 will provide a serious target with Geraghty and Farrell beside him.....Bray out in the half forward line where I think he is an even better player than in the corner....

Meath will play like Monaghan did in the 2nd half with big targets in the full forward line and launching it in...

snappiered

Am really looking forward to getting back to Croker our first game there since '05 final. Meath will provide us with a great challange. I saw them aganist Down in Newry and they looked fairly decent although it was hard to judge them cause Down were awful. Our team selection will be very interesting. Think we have to put Joe to Full back. He our only option. Cormac and Ciaran Gourley have not impressed in that position. Dooher should make it from what I hear. O Neill be on bench again. I think Mickey mite go For Enda Mc Ginley this time as well. But we need to get Calvo fit again if possible. Looking forward to the team on Thursday night.

navanman

Lads ye may think that Tyrone will be motivated by the 96 game. Don't forget that the same game is likely to be an equally strong motivator for the Meath boys, who were sickened by the prolonged, nasty and vicious campaign of intimidation that a great footballer was subjected to by some Tyrone boot-boys. Now I know that these are very much the minority, but whatever your opinion on what happened - whether it was an accident or fully intentional - nothing justified an amateur player and a great great servant of the game having threats made to himself and his family. Memories run deep in Meath too.

clarshack

i remember when they doing the stats on RTE before the dublin v meath replay earlier this year and the thing that stood out was that all of the meath starting 15 were over 6 foot. i know you have to be able to play football as well as being big but we have had serious problems with big sides in the past

Jinxy

Quote from: clarshack on July 30, 2007, 12:04:02 PM
i remember when they doing the stats on RTE before the dublin v meath replay earlier this year and the thing that stood out was that all of the meath starting 15 were over 6 foot. i know you have to be able to play football as well as being big but we have had serious problems with big sides in the past

Niall McKeigue will be delighted to hear that!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Would have my doubts about Tyrone this year and this will be a serious examination of their credentials. The Donegal performance must be taken in context now - Donegal were very poor. Monaghan disposed of them quite easily the last day as well so their league form has been shown to be worthless.

Tyrone's definite weakness under the high ball in the FB presents Meath with a great avenue of attack - not least becasue it comes natural to them to play this way. The centre of the field will be vital too. Meath's midfield tend to do well when they are on lads who are smaller than them and who they can win clean ball over. That could be the case again on Saturday.

I'd be leaing towards Meath in this one with the caveat that you just do not know what Tyrone will produce. Who is fit? Is Dooher able to give a Donegal type display or a mediocre Monaghan type one? What team will be picked? If Tyrone can address those problem areas then they might come through. Like all the quarters I think it will be a lot closer than the bookies/experts think and a strong possibility of an upset.

Stagmeister

Meath to win at 5/2 is definitely the bet of the quarter finals...can see Ward cleaning up in midfiled...been very impressed with him so far this year, Meath have a great forward line as well, so if Ward does dominate midfield the lads up front will be well able to post a big enough score to win the game if they play like they have been so far this year

The worry is with the Meath backs I suppose...Are Harrington and Kenny definitely out?? Would the Meath lads here regard these 2 players as a big loss?? Or have ye good players on the bench to come in for them???

Jinxy

Pretty sure Harrington and Kenny are definitely out. I would view them as a big loss, particularly Kenny who has developed into a tigerish wing-back with a knack for picking up breaks. I would actually advocate moving King back into the corner, as over the last 2 games that is where he has done well. At wing back he tends to linger on the ball a bit too much for my liking. I would bring in McGabhann and McGuinness as the 2 wing backs. Then again Chris O'Connor seems to be another lad who is putting his hand up for selection.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Star Spangler

QuoteTyrone's definite weakness under the high ball in the FB presents Meath with a great avenue of attack

As I've said before, I don't see this as an issue if Tyrone expect that type of game.  MH will have an anti-dote in place if this is how he sees them playing*.  Monaghan caught him out in the second half last day as even the greatest visionary in the game can't be expected to predict the opposition will move the full back up to full forward!

*If you don't agree with me have a wee look at how he answered the "high ball question" on the Road to Croker a couple of weeks ago.  ;)

Our biggest concern in the full back line will be ensuring that Bray or Geraghty aren't allowed a one-on-one situation.  If they get that they'll skin us.

Fuzzman

Just spoke to a few Dubs there at lunch time and they reckon we'll have no bother with Meath.
They said Dublin were very poor the 1st match and should have beaten them by more in the 2nd game.

They are no where near as cynical as years ago either and so many expect a quite open hign intensity match.

From the Irish news today, which is now free online for those of ye who dont know, Harte reckons Dooher is a HUGE doubt with O'Neill only a half time sub at best
and Mickey doesnt bullsh*t too much.

Is it just me or is Tommy Freeman a arrogant wee pup. Yeah he's a good player but he's fierce cheeky and in yer face with OTT celebrations.
After the Dub v Laois match we heard loads of talk about Dublin's reactions into defenders faces but Freeman did the exact same and almost headbutted Gourley.

I'm hearing rave reviews over young Bray. Will Ricey be given the task with open knees I mean arms

tyroneman

Hmmmmmmmm.

To be honest I was relieved at not getting Cork but the more I think about it the less I like this game, especially if Dooher is out. At a guess though I think we will see.......

Ricey on GG - interesting test of the big lads temprement  ;D
Penrose in for first start of year in place of Dooher (if Dooher not fit)
Cormac McGinley back in at FB  :'(
Joey and Hub at MF
Sean in at wing Forward

Tyrone at full strength would murder this team, no question. As we stand however I think it will be 50/50