Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteWhat now for Tyrone? If McGuigan, O'Neill and Dooher had lined out today, we'd be looking forward to Cork and beyond. Worryingly, for all of Mickey's squad size, the replacements are just 'good' county players - on an equal par to the Meaths and Corks of this world. Good, but not All-Ireland class. Cavlan's done. Dooher may be heading that way due to age/miles (I hope the Donegal game wasn't his fine swansong). We need a forward of All-Ireland class to compliment Mulligan, Mulgrew, O'Neill and Dooher. Preferably with height and accuracy (Ronan Clarke esque) At some stage of a match when things are running away from you, you need that option. We don't have a target man. A pity Rouse never appeared again after a promising McKenna.

What now indeed?
Must say I was disappointed (not gutted - I'll reserve that for Armagh) at the result and especially the performance. It reminded me a little of Armagh's outings this year, although I feel Armagh may be in a stronger position now than Tyrone!

McGuigan was the spark for much of what was good in Tyrone's play - a class player who may struggle to achieve the same heights ever again and worryingly unreplaceable!
O'Neill has struggled since 2005 and his ongoing hamstring problems may relegate him to being a bit part player in the future - again not easily replaceable.
Dooher has been brilliant over the last few years but given his age and injury list, he may never be a force in county football again.
Canavan can't be replaced!
Cavlan's football has gone to the dogs - again the wrong side of 30 with too many miles for this level.
Mugsy - well what can you say about one of the most enigmatic players in the game today - he can be brilliant but in my humble opinion he is definitely not a leader on the field - he should have been with the Judge after 15 mins today - on the Bench!
Cavanagh is still a class act but can't be one every day.
There are others but too much mediocrity and not the same hunger of past years.
As for Mickey Harte, it appears that he will give it another go, but I feel he should have considered stepping down now, perhaps to return in a few years with new personnel at his disposal. His first 3 year term was unforgettable from a Tyrone perspective - his second could be quite the opposite.

Many have wondered over the last few years if things may have been different for Armagh and Tyrone in respect of All-Irelands, if they hadn't both rose to prominance at the same time, maybe now we are seeing that they may have needed each other to push them on that extra bit.

Well, Armagh hurlers for the Nicky, the Armagh girls for Samantha and Derry or Monaghan for Sam - all flying the flag for Ulster!

ziggysego

I can make all the excuses in the world tonight, but the better team on the day won. Tyrone are not the same team they were in 2003 and 2005. Too many injuries, not enough leadership and the hunger didn't seem to be there. Something such couldn't have been said about Meath. They were up for the game and took it by the gruff of the neck.

Mulligan should have been taken off, God only knows how he stayed on the full 70mins. Prehaps the goal gave him an unwarranted stay of execution.

Dooher shouldn't have played. Was clearly not over his injury, though have some inspired moments of play. including setting Cavanagh up for the goal. Was MH trying to repeat the Canavan trick of 2003?

Ricey had a terrible first half and should have been moved much sooner than he was. Improved in the 2nd half.

Kevin Hughes was a huge disappointment. Enough said.

For me, McCullagh and Mulgrew seem to be the only forwards doing any work.

I'm glad that Mickey isn't quitting, as I've always felt that there is 3 All-Irelands in this team, led by Mickey. Even after today, I still think this and hopefully 2008 will be it.
Testing Accessibility

corn02

Wuite happy with this result due to Tyroneman being so childish after Armaghs defeat.

But seriously, since the Orchards exit Meath has been the team I have followed and any team with GG, Moyles, Bray, Fay and Farrell can certainly go all the way.

Only seen 10 minutes of match and listened to 20 on radio due to work but if Meath caused havoc with a high ball Harte has got it wrong big time. Tyrones main wekaness is widely known, the high ball to the full back line, Meaths game plan is well known, long ball in on big men. Surely Harte should have compensated.

As for GG, what a legend!

ziggysego

Quote from: corn02 on August 05, 2007, 12:09:37 AM
Wuite happy with this result due to Tyroneman being so childish after Armaghs defeat.

Maybe a few idiots were, but they were the minority.
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Quote from: Datsun Donaghy on August 05, 2007, 12:02:55 AM
Cavlan's football has gone to the dogs - again the wrong side of 30 with too many miles for this level.

I see what you done there
:P

corn02

Agreed Ziggy, the Tyrone - Armagh rivarly seemed very diluted this year, he annoyed me with some stupid remarks at the time.

darbyo

QuoteI disagree Darbyo, tactics and the manager can make a huge difference in games

Don't get me wrong tactics and the manager do have a role and can make a difference but once players cross that white line they are on their own. For example you'll often hear that a manager won the game by the switches he made, but sometimes you put on a sub (Cian Ward V Dublin) and he makes a massive difference and other times you put on a sub (Cian Ward today) and he makes little difference, it's hit and miss more often than not.
                Some of you guy's are saying that MH made no allowances for Tyrones failings under the high ball but surely McMahon was put back there because of that failing, that it didn't entirely work out is hardly the managers fault. All I'm saying is that Tyrone weren't beaten on the line today but on the pitch and you lads have more reason than most to be optimistic over the next few years

agorm

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 04, 2007, 10:06:22 PM
Geraghty also, despite being a tr**p, is a top quality player. Fay still has it and the rest of the players are "steely" but there is no real brilliance aside from what I mentioned.

Dont want to be triumphalist(sp?) but I had to answer this one. We can only play what we face and we are well aware that Tyrone are a shadow of their former glories but Stephen Bray is head and shoulders above anyone on the tyrone panel at the moment. Mickey Harte recognosed this and had two players tracking him for a lot of the game until he got injured.

I still dont think Meath are the finished article and faded very badly towards the end. I cannot believe how tyrone missed those points near the end. I think that the difference between this Meath team and tyrone is that Meath accept whatever situation that they are in such as the loss of defenders before the game and kept focus. Tyrone had ready made excuses (valid of course) regarding the missing players but the players that were left did not have the balls or were not sufficiently motivated / prepared to step up to the mark - individually these are just as good as many of the meath players but something was lacking out there.

Anyone that says that Tyrone are a spent force is talking rubbish. If they are back next year with the players back then they have the capacity to beat anyone.

Donagh

Congratulations to Meath, they are playing some football this weather – kudos to Stevie from Killeavy for tipping them earlier in the year – but I really can't see either them or Cork going all the way. The real Tyrone was absent apart from the first 10 of the second half and Meath still only managed to stumble across the finishing line. In saying that I still love the way they play, even if their supporters have resumed the mantle of most arrogant and GG the biggest tr**p in the country.

oakleaf stateside

dont think mugsy had that bad of a game yes his shooting was way of but he had a lot of posession in the 2nd half but on like any other tyrone team we have saw in the last 3 or 4 years there was alway 2 or 3 men running through the middle and taking points. to day mugsy did not have that type of support if he did he would of had a grate game.IMO wat do u think
Dont Do It

GalwayBayBoy

Meath definitely deserved to win although Tyrone were reallly crippled by injuries for the 2nd year in a row. We seem to expect them to overcome them but losing sheer quality like O'Neill, Dooher and McGuigan is just too much for any team to bear.

Mickeys beard

Tyrone slow
Tyrone hesitant
Preparation poor
Strategy poor
Mulligan poor game
Hughes poor game
Meath not great
All Ireland in that tyrone team-yes
Colm O'Rourke full of sh1t-yes
All Ireland in that Meath team-no
Height an advantage to all remaining teams-definately
Any need for Tyrone fans to worry for future-no.

The beard hath spoken.
Boil the Drawers!

oakleaf stateside

dont think meath are contenders. dont forget they were scoreless for 18 to 20 mins in the 2nd half dont quote me on that but was def close to it. an allireland contender has to score more often than that. IMO
Dont Do It

mannix

When you have a fullforward line of 6'2  6'3 x 2  you can lob it in all day.Mcmenamin looked like a child beside them,he was cleaned.Cavangh and hughes were much smaller and lighter too,it all told in the end and this meath team will be in the final if cork are anything like yesterday suggests.
Kerrys sam to lose, derry,dublin or monaghan combined would not beat them if they get going,i am assuming they get going.
Meath just not good enough,though dara o se will not push them around like the mayo lads,and with the smallest meath player 5 11 it could be fun in september.

Over the Bar

Having watched the game from the upper Cusack I cannot understand why MH didnt move Cavlin to midfield in the 2nd half.  The experiment with him at FF clearly wasn't working and Kevin Hughes was having a 'mare.   Cavo would have caught some ball no doubt and young Penrose or Tommy McGuigan could have gone to the forward line.   Bad day at the office for the men on the touchline.