Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM
Most like to meet: Meath

And I stand by this  ;D Meath are not a bad team, but nothing special either, and having lost two key defenders (in Eoin Harrington and Seamus Kenny) they're much the weaker for it. I don't read too much into the Galway game at all. Motivation for Tyrone is not an issue with this draw, and nothing to do with bitterness, but everything to do with setting the record straight!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

You're right there, Fear. The motivation problem is ours. How are we going to get ourselves up for a team we've beaten easily every time we've met them in the championship. We won't be taking Tyrone for granted, but complacency could be our enemy.   :)

Maguire01

Meath didn't particularly impress against Fermanagh............ but then again neither did Tyrone.
Still, i'd expect Tyrone to advance here.

thejuice

is this game definately on saturday?? any word on a venue?? double header in croker???
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thejuice on July 29, 2007, 08:10:39 PM
is this game definately on saturday?? any word on a venue?? double header in croker???

Yes, 4 pm in Croke I believe, after the Tommy Murhpy Cup Final between Antrim and Wicklow, and the Sligo vs Cork game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on July 29, 2007, 07:45:09 PM
You're right there, Fear. The motivation problem is ours. How are we going to get ourselves up for a team we've beaten easily every time we've met them in the championship. We won't be taking Tyrone for granted, but complacency could be our enemy.   :)

Exactly, Hardy, just as long as your lads remember how crap we always were against Meath opposition in the Championship, that's all they need to know  ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

I was there all right in 96' and anyone who thinks it wont be used for motivation by the Tyrone players is living in a different planet. I think our supporters did go over the top complaining for years about the game but there was a genuine sense of anger for years after the game. Certainly remember Dooher with the bandage but not sure if he'll be fit for this Saturday. Im sure he'd love to get a game against  Meath.

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2007, 08:13:20 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 29, 2007, 08:10:39 PM

Yes, 4 pm in Croke I believe, after the Tommy Murhpy Cup Final between Antrim and Wicklow, and the Sligo vs Cork game.

Surely that's a triple header ;)
Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 29, 2007, 08:47:05 PM
I was there all right in 96' and anyone who thinks it wont be used for motivation by the Tyrone players is living in a different planet. I think our supporters did go over the top complaining for years about the game but there was a genuine sense of anger for years after the game. Certainly remember Dooher with the bandage but not sure if he'll be fit for this Saturday. Im sure he'd love to get a game against  Meath.

Sure throw a few bandages on him and he'll be grand.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 29, 2007, 08:47:05 PM

As far as I remember Tyrone were hot favourites that day and believed the hype. It was not a good frame of mind for the team (which were better on paper) to approach the game in. However, for me, the big diference was a monumental performance from our midfield and an imperius performance from Geraghty. The O' Connell Dooher incident was totally accidental and Tyrone people showed themselves up for making a big deal about it. I do think however that McDermott made a very dangerous tackle on Canavan so we were not blameless but to be moaning after 11 years (and that is what ye are at) is ridiculous.

Also I would ask neutral what he saw in the Dublin / Galway games against Meath to indicate that Meath will "know how to deal with Sean Kavanagh" and the implication that Meath will be hitting heavily?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on July 29, 2007, 06:59:31 PM
Now that I have got over my initial excitement, I fear we are in for a terrible hiding. Hope we can keep the scoreline respectable. :-X ;)

Now, now Jinxy, the last time I heard that kind of oul talk from Meath was before the '96 semi-final (and in Quinns just before the game to boot), and we all  know what happened then.  :P Once bitten, eh?! ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

I remember early in the game in 96 Tyrone were flying, from memory I think they'd went 4-1 up with Cavlan starring. Seamus McCallan was one of the few players to play well for Tyrone that day. Think 96' has been forgotton about somewhat with the 2 all ireland wins but still think Tyrone will really want to get one over Meath. Meath were undoutly the better team in 96 but dont think it was a coincidence that 3 of Tyrone's best frowards got injured early. I thnk its close to 50 50 next week with Meath improving considerably this year. Really looking forward to the game already. Hope Tyrone go out to play football, Meath are a bigger team. Midfield is interesting - Meath should be better aerially but dont think theyd have the mobility of Tyrone's midfield. Im convinced Geraghty will start in the half forward line and may switch with O'Rourke to go into full forward. Im worried about Meath's full forward line.

Jinxy

I think if our midfield start winning a good bit of clean ball we will have a great chance. I don't care what anyone says, seeing your midfielders plucking balls out of the sky drives a team on. I don't think either of them are mobile enough to stay with Cavanagh though so I fully expect Reilly and Moyles to blockade the central channel to stop his runs. Can any of the Tyronies give us their likely line-up? Who's in/out/borderline?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrone Dreamer

You'd only make a fool of yourself predicting the Tyrone team with Mickey Harte as manager! Not convinced Dooher will start and if not Enda McGinley should come in. Hopefully O'Neill will be fit to play a much greater role. Everyone has thought Joe McMahon will go to full back sice 2005 but it has yet to happen so hard to know if he'll play him there now.

thejuice

This current Meath team arent as hardy or as physically robust as the 96 team so I dont think you'll be seeing crawford or ward laying into Cavanagh, they're not that type of players. its gonna be a good ol' game I think the curbing of Cavanagh will be vital, and our forwards will need to take 90% of their chances if were to have a hope, and that all depends on how much possesion we can gain in the middle.

this Meath team has had a lot of hype about it in the last few weeks, we'll need to keep our feet firmly on the ground, Tyrone have the potential to beat seven shades of shit out of us if we're not going 100% for the 70+ minutes
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016