Joe Kernan Resigns

Started by Armagh Exile, July 18, 2007, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Fair play Joe and best of luck in the future. I have the utmost respect for the man. Its all very well arguing about the possibility of a second or third All Ireland but there's a hell of a chance that without Joe, number one might never have arrived. He revitalised Armagh after the defeats of 00 and 01 and pushed the team on to fulfill its potential. Yes there were mistakes, but infalibility is beyond any manager. Nobody before had more success with Crossmaglen, nobody before had more success with armagh. We could be a long time waiting until anybody does in the future. Without question, Armagh football is much richer for having had Joe Kernan connected with it.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armaghniac

Cross got their start with Joe, but have come back some years later to win the AI again with a mixture of older guys and some new players who were U-14s when Joe managed Cross. Here's hoping Armagh can do likewise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Read the Indo and the IN last night - he could tell some tales - what about a book Joe ?

Sandy Hill

One other stat which I heard during the week; under Joe's tenure Armagh won 29 championship matches from 36 played, ie >80%! Not sure what this indicates but I wouldn't mind more of the same.
"Stercus accidit"

Uladh

The book is already well on the way... ghost written by Peter Makem

rrhf

I think Joes own words it takes a great team to win 2 all irelands are still as relevant today as they were in 2003 when he said it.  With Joe an 80 % record of success in championship games was an incredible managerial achievement.  Joe already had all Irelands with Cross in the bag - probably the hardest type of ALL Ireland medal to win, but he wanted his Armagh team to achieve like him.  The reality is that this fine Armagh team never made Joe's so called "great" bracket does not detract from Joe Kernan.  If Mayo do not win an All Ireland under John O Mahony it says more about the Mayo team than it does Johnno - he already is a "great" Manager.  In the same way whilst the Armagh team won one - that was beyond their wildest dreams and unrealistic supporter expectations began to set in very quickly.  They won Ulster after Ulster championships in an era when Ulster championships became the second prize - it was a realistic goal for Armagh during this period.  Check out the pitch invasion by Tyrone fans last week to see where our priorities lie.  Compare that to the pitch invasion in 2005 when Armagh defeated Tyrone.  My final word on this is that in Tyrone we respect Greatness and we respect the achievements of Crossmaglen and Joe Kernan - phenomenal does not do it justice.  Greatness is bestowed on them all.  No one will ever forget what this Armagh team achieved in Ulster - the best Ulster championship run I ever witnessed.  By Joes standards the team feel short, and thery may feel they have underachieved.  Perhaps Mc Geeney knows more than Joe Kernan, he ceratinly should have learned a lot from him but to mention him as a potential replacement at this stage is hardly the way forward for Armagh football.  Mc Geeney as captain was part of the Kernan team but he was also a member of the team that fell short ie that couldnt do the job on the field - when he was replaced as captain if rumours are to be believed he didnt communicate with the manager.  Does this sound like management potential, I ask Armagh fans today?         

Uladh

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2007, 11:10:09 AM
My final word on this is...      

Imagine my disappointment. we're hanging on every word too.

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2007, 11:10:09 AM
in Tyrone we respect Greatness

good of you to speak for the masses. did the survey take long?

T Fearon

I see with the postponement of tomorrow's Hurling Quarter Finals, RTE 2's Sunday Game will feature a review of the Joe Years,at 9.30pm. Should be well worth watching, surely Spillane will have to say something good?

SeanSouth

Quote from: T Fearon on July 21, 2007, 11:34:59 AM
I see with the postponement of tomorrow's Hurling Quarter Finals, RTE 2's Sunday Game will feature a review of the Joe Years,at 9.30pm. Should be well worth watching, surely Spillane will have to say something good?

In any eulogies about large Joe surely Burger King should get a mention........

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SeanSouth on July 21, 2007, 11:37:35 AM

In any eulogies about large Joe surely Burger King should get a mention........
That's a good one, haven't heard that in about five minutes.

rrhf
Check out the pitch invasion by Tyrone fans last week to see where our priorities lie.  Compare that to the pitch invasion in 2005 when Armagh defeated Tyrone.
Yeah because that's the same thing.   ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Elias

Anything good Spudane will have to say about Joe will be behind gritted teeth, sure wasn't it Joes fault Ulster Football started to make the Kingdom look less than ordinary, at times.

Rufus T Firefly

Just like to add my thanks to Big Joe for all that he achieved and giving us days that will live with us forever!!  8)  Respect Joe! A long and healthy retirement is due!!

From listening to the jungle drums though, it does appear that this was the best time for Joe to drop down, and I am glad he himself has made that decision.

Joe has pointed out that he has left Armagh in a very healthy state, with a lot of young talent coming through. I hope in September 2008 I am in a position to tell Big Joe, just as I did Brian McAlinden in 2002, that a lot of the credit for our latest All Ireland win is down to him.

That said, if he starts muttering under his breath, I will be sure to listen intently!!** 

** An in joke between Brian McAlinden, Shane O'Neill and myself!   ;) 

orangeman

There was an article in the Independent the other day in which it said that joe ranked on the top 5 best managers EVER ? I know he was good and admire him a lot but in the top 5 ?? Surely not ?

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteBig Joe is undoubtedly the greatest Armagh manager ever, but he is nowhere near the top 5. He would hardly make the top 5 in Ulster. Pete McGrath, Mickey Harte, Eamon Coleman, Brian McEniff, Uladh  Wink Well Uladh lives in a dram world where 1 success is better than 5

Joe has 4 All-Irelands of his own, as well as a shed-load of Ulster Titles at both Club and County level. 

It appears that there was actually football played in Armagh before 2002!

ONeill

Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2007, 09:12:06 PM
There was an article in the Independent the other day in which it said that joe ranked on the top 5 best managers EVER ? I know he was good and admire him a lot but in the top 5 ?? Surely not ?

For his achievements at county, provincial and National club as well as provincial and national county, he has very few equals. Lets just say there is very little he hasn't won. Joe Kernan and Mickey Harte are right up there with the best in terms of achievement.

Did Kernan ever manage Armagh underage?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.