Yesterday's embryonic All Ireland Government summit in Armagh

Started by T Fearon, July 18, 2007, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Great to see that they chose the capital of God's own county to hold this historic meeting.

Methinks that the All Ireland government is taking shape nicely, and I commend all concerned

Rossfan

Wait till the Dubs/Kildar/Meaths/Corkies amd others rich enough to pay some tax  find they are paying for new Roads in the North !!! :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

inisceithleann

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 18, 2007, 02:22:48 PM
Although I dont like to agree with Fearon, I think he is right here. The Southern Government are slowly but surely having a say in the running of the North, but the Prods dont seem to have copped onto this at all. They are already paying towards the health service, now the roads and before we know it they will be running the place completely. Good to see Big Ian rubberstamping the whole thing yesterday, he may say he is only interested in the money, but he is allowing Dublin a say in the north.
I am sure Gwaytofuck & Co will have a totally different opinion on this, but as I see it Dublin are having more of a say  ;)

An improved North is better for everyone on the Island. An improved infrastructure especially in the border counties will hopefully pave the way for the de facto creation of one economy in Ireland. A cross border health service is something that should next be considered. I know loads of friends on the border that use the NHS in the North anyway. It may also solve the problem of the Hospital in the West. If people on the Fermanagh border could use the hospitals in Sligo, Monaghan and Cavan then the problem of where to locate the new hospital could be put to bed.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

amallon

Lets not get involved in one-up-manship here and look beyond to the benefits to the people on both sides of the border.  Fire services, ambulance services and hospitals could all be shared around the border areas.  The upgraded roads through Tyrone will he help the people of the north but they will also be good for the people of Donegal who often feel isolated.  I'd love to see the bridge built at narrow water.  There are many other projects which both jurisdictions should work together on which will benefit everyone north and south.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

lynchbhoy

looks like this is happening without the pouring in of monies from the EU, US & UK - which I was always expecting to be part and parcel of the overall solution and UI restructuring.

I'd almost start to support the 'No' shouting loyalists , and get the money /infrastructural investment/injection of new business around NI & border areas promised and committed before allowing much more of this to continue.

The EU, US & UK would be only to delighted to have us carry on with a UI without having to contribute to the bill....
this cannot happen (I hope)

GweylTah

Given the Republic's utter rejection of Sinn Fein-IRA at the recent election, a united Ireland, if it comes about, should hold more fear for itinerant bog-warriors who will be more marginalised than ever, and probably reduced even more to nothing more than slabbering in places like this.

I think I could feel quite at home in a new Ireland where SDLP types are welcomed back into the fold, the state bends over-backards to accommodate Unionists lest they should not feel loved, and SF-IRA are treated as pariahs and become redundant.

;D

maddog

Quote from: GweylTah on July 19, 2007, 09:32:35 AM
Given the Republic's utter rejection of Sinn Fein-IRA at the recent election, a united Ireland, if it comes about, should hold more fear for itinerant bog-warriors who will be more marginalised than ever, and probably reduced even more to nothing more than slabbering in places like this.

I think I could feel quite at home in a new Ireland where SDLP types are welcomed back into the fold, the state bends over-backards to accommodate Unionists lest they should not feel loved, and SF-IRA are treated as pariahs and become redundant.

;D

Be careful what you wish for ;D

Star Spangler

Was this on the news down here?  I obviously missed it.  How much money is being spent?

nifan

Quote from: amallon on July 18, 2007, 04:57:04 PM
Lets not get involved in one-up-manship here

Are you new here ;D

I agree with you - cooperation between the North and South is vital, whether you believe in a UI or not.