Galway v Kilkenny 1/4 final

Started by Stay goalside of your man, July 16, 2007, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stay goalside of your man

Well how do we rate Galway's chances of winning on Sunday. I think the best we can hope for is that Kilkenny play badly on the day but I don not think this will happen with Cody in charge.

Kevin

Kilkenny  by a wide margin.

Just can't see Galway anywhere close with 15 minutes to go.

GY Joe

Ger is playing COdy at his own game I see.. Forewarning the refs about the KK habit of making your hands and wrists pay for having the temerity to have possesion against them....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/galway-boss-calls-on-ref-to-curb-cats-belting-1038641.html

By Colm Keys
Tuesday July 17 2007

GER LOUGHNANE has raised the stakes again ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland quarter-final with Kilkenny by calling on the match referee and his officials to provide greater protection for his players.

Loughnane's respect for Kilkenny is well documented by now but his observation after Saturday's qualifier win over Antrim in Salthill's Pearse Stadium about "flicking and belting across the wrists" not being allowed to happen is sure to lift the temperature ahead of the fourth successive championship meeting between these sides.

Kilkenny have won two of the previous three in convincing fashion, both in Thurles in 2004 and 2006 when Galway couldn't cope with their ferocious intensity.

In between Galway won a much more open All-Ireland semi-final in 2005 in Croke Park, where Sunday's tie has been fixed for.

Now Loughnane has drawn attention to Kilkenny's style of tackling and hopes the referee, who hadn't been confirmed by Croke Park by last night, will be responsive to it.

"These lads (Galway) are as good a bunch of players as I have worked with," he said.

"Whether we are ready for the savaging that Kilkenny will give them, I don't know," he added.

"I hope that it will be an open game and I hope that whoever is refereeing it will give us some chance, that we won't get this ferocious barracking from a Kilkenny defender when he has the ball.

"This flicking, belting across the wrists can't happen next Sunday and if it doesn't, you never know."

Loughnane will be happy that the game has been fixed for Croke Park and not Thurles where these Galway players have not been spared in the past.

Loughnane has consistently showered Kilkenny with plaudits during his time as a TV and newspaper analyst and recently described the Cats' current group "as one of the best teams ever".

Earlier this year he highlighted their league meeting with the All-Ireland champions in Nowlan Park as Galway's first big pressure test of his management.

Hickey doubt

Meanwhile, Kilkenny defender Noel Hickey is the Leinster champions' most serious injury concern after he picked up a leg injury in the Leinster final.

The injury took a few days afterwards to manifest and the powerful full-back did not feature in a practice match in Nowlan Park over the weekend. Kilkenny, however, expect him to have recovered in time.

"Noel has a bit of a strain - sometimes a blow to the leg might not show up for a week or two, but we're hopeful he'll be alright. He's doing a certain amount of training," said selector Martin Fogarty.

homeofhurling8

Quote from: GY Joe on July 17, 2007, 08:27:41 AM
Ger is playing COdy at his own game I see.. Forewarning the refs about the KK habit of making your hands and wrists pay for having the temerity to have possesion against them....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/galway-boss-calls-on-ref-to-curb-cats-belting-1038641.html

By Colm Keys
Tuesday July 17 2007

"These lads (Galway) are as good a bunch of players as I have worked with," he said.

"Whether we are ready for the savaging that Kilkenny will give them, I don't know," he added.

"I hope that it will be an open game and I hope that whoever is refereeing it will give us some chance, that we won't get this ferocious barracking from a Kilkenny defender when he has the ball.

"This flicking, belting across the wrists can't happen next Sunday and if it doesn't, you never know."

Christ almighty the man has lost the run of himself completely,is this the same Loughnane who was taking about waring hurleys off of the Deise selectors in 98 ?

The slasher Hickey and co are no angels but sure not every team can be as pure as the driven snow like Clare's backs were in the 90's  ;)

GalteeMountainBoy

Sylvie Linnane and the Kilkenny brothers would be mortfied which such "nancy-boy" talk coming out of a Galway manager before a big championship game.  ;)

bottlethrower7

Futile to try and predict whats gonna happen here. The 'on paper' form goes out the window. Galway have been a banana skin for Kilkenny over the years and I don't think too many in the black and amber on sunday will lose sight of that.

What happens on sunday is down to Galway, and what they can muster. One would think that they'll be infinitely more fired up for this than at any other time during Loughnane's tenure. Wheter they can lift it enough to overcome whatever challenge Kilkenny will throw at them is another question. They are coming in on the back of some appalling performances and it might be too much of a big ask.

On the other hand, Kilkenny probably are there for the taking. Nothing can be read into the Wexford game, due to how poor the opposition was that day. Against Offaly, Kilkenny hurled well, but the levels of urgency weren't there until after the half-time bollocking. If Galway still have their tails up by half-time they could well get a good run at Kilkenny. The open spaces of Croke Park will suit them, thats for sure, but will they be able to get enough of a grip at midfield to ensure a supply of ball for their forwards? Will they be able to contain the Kilkenny threat at the back? Possibly.

On form, one can't look beyond Kilkenny. As has been the case with many Kilkenny-Galway games over the years, the form book isn't all that reliable.

Lecale2

I was hoping for a step up from Galway under Loughnane but there's no sign of it yet. The full back line were very weak against Clare and if they play like that again Kilkenny will destroy them in the opening minutes. I'd expect Kilkenny to win handy enough but you live in hope.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Kilkenny will have too much for Galway, Galway caught them napping in 2005 but in 2006 The Cats were well up for the game and showed just how far above Galway they are. I hope that Galway can keep up with them but I fear Kilkenny could demolish them in the second half.

GalwayBayBoy

Well obviously Kilkenny have to go in warm favourites although Galway have always had the knack of ambushing the cats down through the years. Any repeat of the Clare performance though and they might as well get on the bus home before half-time.

I know a few Kilkenny lads and they're actually quite wary of Galway for some reason but to have any chance they'll have to produce far more than they have so far this year. It would be a Lazarus like comeback to win this game after the inept performance in Ennis.

As for the comments on Kilkenny's belting I thought the whole point of management was to motivate your own players not the oppositions.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 17, 2007, 11:43:22 AM
I know a few Kilkenny lads and they're actually quite wary of Galway for some reason

Thats the problem, the cats are wary therefore they will go out firing on all cylinders. Galways and to be honest every other counties only hope is if the cats approach a game expecting a win.

Durlas Eile

could be good crack before throw in like in 2001. Murray flooring McEvoy and Power breaking a hurley off someone before the throw in.

the verbal scuds from Ger are bringing the pot to the boil nicely

johnneycool

Quote from: Durlas Eile on July 17, 2007, 12:27:54 PM
could be good crack before throw in like in 2001. Murray flooring McEvoy and Power breaking a hurley off someone before the throw in.

the verbal scuds from Ger are bringing the pot to the boil nicely

Whilst Galway were shocking against Clare, the physical battering they took that evening will stand to them against Kilkenny. The problem being is that Kilkenny are infinitely better hurlers than Clare as well as giving out the physical stuff when the need arises. The Galway team lined out against Antrim certainly had Kilkenny in mind with Mark Kerins out to win ball against a very accomplished Kilkenny half back line. In his prime Kerins was handy enough but injuries and the years may take their toll and I can't see him last the full 70 minutes.

Will Fergal Healey be given the job of stopping Eddie Brennan? I certainly think he's the only lad you'd put on him in the absence of Ollie Canning. He was Galways best hurler against Clare down in Ennis by a long way. Him aside the other two fullback positions are a worry for Gerlock.
Broderick will be picked on the edge of the other square to try to bring out Noel Hickey from his comfort zone, whether Hickey goes is another matter.
IF Galway are to win they'll need to score goals and stop Killkenny doing likewise. I can't see them doing either as much as I'd like to.
Killkenny by 9+

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteWill Fergal Healey be given the job of stopping Eddie Brennan

Fergal Moore is who you're thining of JC.

AZOffaly

Depends on what Galway show up. If they have done enough ball work, which it looked as if they hadn't against Clare, then they are the sort of team Kilkenny don't like. Fast forwards, full of movement. Obviously they will need to compete at the back, especially for puckouts coming down on top of Shefflin, Comerford et al.

It should be Kilkenny by a wide margin, but I think I;'ll be backing Galway to at least cover the handicap if it's anything more than 5.

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 17, 2007, 01:30:39 PM
QuoteWill Fergal Healey be given the job of stopping Eddie Brennan

Fergal Moore is who you're thining of JC.

You're right GBB