Is it just me or is global warming a lot of bollocks?

Started by cville, July 16, 2007, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

And the wife! Says she wasn't have sex the other night... I says: "Is it me beer belly? me garlic breath? me 2 inch middle wicket? nah she says - global warming! There's me with the "LAD" at half mast having to blame the melting of the ice caps - funny though... Global Warming wasn't a factor when the "Horse" from 27 called on Saturday morning... Well so Jamesey ... No 31... told me in the pub.......

cville

Sorry - Jamesy is memate - God bless him... says that Global Warming is a myth also .... says that my bedroom is too warm so I have let my wife stay in his which is cooler - so he says...

Gnevin

Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2007, 11:52:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2007, 11:46:49 PM
The thing that pisses me off is the power of one bullshit. I mean guilting joe public into plugging out everything , turning off ever light while the government takes no actions from the simple things such as power saving lights to major issues like eco friendly power stations

You don't live under a dictatorship. If the people give a shit about green issues, they can elect the politicians who will take action.

I'm all for what you call "power of one". Every little bit helps, and it can help to educate your kids.
I'm all for it and do my bit but at the end of the day if the govt mandated products which turn off from stand by after 20 minute this would save more power than the power of one ever could. Their are dozen of things that could be done by the government before they start trying to guilt the rest of us . 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: cville on July 16, 2007, 11:59:06 PM
Sorry - Jamesy is memate - God bless him... says that Global Warming is a myth also .... says that my bedroom is too warm so I have let my wife stay in his which is cooler - so he says...

See a doctor, you're obviously suffering from paranoia, caused by a serious case of overwhelmus ignoramus  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mournerambler

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 16, 2007, 05:58:21 PM
It is an undisputed fact that global warming is happening here and now. It will effect different areas in different ways, maybe we will get more rain as a result, who knows, but the planet is definitely getting warmer. What is questionable is what is causing it, is it a natural phonemenon or is it man made?

J70

Quote from: Gnevin on July 17, 2007, 12:02:22 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 16, 2007, 11:52:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2007, 11:46:49 PM
The thing that pisses me off is the power of one bullshit. I mean guilting joe public into plugging out everything , turning off ever light while the government takes no actions from the simple things such as power saving lights to major issues like eco friendly power stations

You don't live under a dictatorship. If the people give a shit about green issues, they can elect the politicians who will take action.

I'm all for what you call "power of one". Every little bit helps, and it can help to educate your kids.
I'm all for it and do my bit but at the end of the day if the govt mandated products which turn off from stand by after 20 minute this would save more power than the power of one ever could. Their are dozen of things that could be done by the government before they start trying to guilt the rest of us . 

Why not do both? And write a letter to your TD and the relevant ministers telling them to get the finger out. They're supposed to be working for you.

Long time dead

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 10:58:36 PM
Quote from: cville on July 16, 2007, 10:46:18 PM
look the media etc are using this for hype. There was picture of a guy standing a mile from a glacier in the papers with an old shot of the glacier in the space he was standing in - 100 years ago. Horror! What shall we do? A mile away in 100 years... But that is the way that the ice has been receding for 10000 years. It's all due to media manipulation... I heard - and stand to be corrected - that the icebeg that the Titanic hit is still doing the rounds in the North Atlantic - however if the Titanic sank in 2006 it would no doubt be down to GLOBAL WARMING - "Oh the icecaps are breaking up etc..... The planet may be heating up but tin twenty years we could have a minor iceage.... In the 1850s the Thames froze over five winters running - it will probably do so a few more times before Westport becomes Dubai........... It's all poppycock! - which means bollocks!

I'd rather take the word of the scientists who know something about this, and not the word of someone who 'heard' something somewhere, and who thinks that a 'mile' in 100 years is nothing (have you measured it? Have you measured the actual volume of ice that's disappeared?) and no offence, but I hope you've a boat ready when the sea-level rises by 25 metres. And this whole global warming began with the Industrial Revolution, well before the 1850s (early 1700s). The permafrost is melting, but I suppose that's not due to global warming, eh?

Care to quote any of these scientists - Couple of facts - global cows dung give of more greenhouse gasses that all the cars/aeroplanes in the world; the 25 metre water rise is a total myth - projected increase is no more than 0.5 Metres within the next 100 years, although man is contributing to Global warming, it is not all man made and is a natual recurring process, BTW jumping up and f**king down at a shit concert isn't going achieve anything.  :D

cville

:o :o :)
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 17, 2007, 12:03:40 AM
Quote from: cville on July 16, 2007, 11:59:06 PM

See a doctor, you're obviously suffering from paranoia, caused by a serious case of overwhelmus ignoramus  :P

Sorry - hate to get personal... you're from Strabane!

cville

Oh and by the way folks ... because scientists say something doesn't mean it's right..... Too easily led by all these prophets of doom.... Scientists told us that Thalidomide was a great drug - no ... That guy out of the film with the Delorean car - he was a scientist, but look at the mess was nearly caused with the Space Time Continum ...(actually it was Marty's fault for buying the sports Almanac) ... In Germany, Scientists believed in Eugenics and experimented on people to prove it .. phrenology,  etc etc ....
There is too much money to be made jetting around the world, staying in top hotel and speaking to gullible conferences.... Madonna said at the concert there.. "You wanna save the planet? Shout Yeah!" - all the sheep went yeah!  - She's the very one who cured Africa's ills by adopting a (trendy) black baby.. Bullshit, Trendy, Nonsenes... Two years ago Bono et al were solving Poverty ... Yeah that really worked, they Africans will be holding concerts for us next! THEY ARE FULL OF THEY'RE OWN EGO !

maddog

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 16, 2007, 11:13:28 PM
If the sea rises 25 metres my house is F*cked

But seriously, we need to do something, not just as a nation, but on a planetary basis. Its no good some wee Paddy recycling his wine bottles and reuisng his Dunnes bag if every little chink is burning coal and all the Brazillians are cutting the rainforests down.

I blame Stew and his suv, selfish fecker.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Long time dead on July 17, 2007, 08:06:32 AM
Care to quote any of these scientists - Couple of facts - global cows dung give of more greenhouse gasses that all the cars/aeroplanes in the world; the 25 metre water rise is a total myth - projected increase is no more than 0.5 Metres within the next 100 years, although man is contributing to Global warming, it is not all man made and is a natual recurring process, BTW jumping up and f**king down at a shit concert isn't going achieve anything.  :D

Whose 'projections' are you quoting? Would it be the scientists of the IPCC perchance? Check this out: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=3578.0

Here's an extract:

The IPCC predicts that sea levels could rise by as much as 59cm this century. Hansen's paper argues that the slow melting of ice sheets the panel expects doesn't fit the data. The geological record suggests that ice at the poles does not melt in a gradual and linear fashion, but flips suddenly from one state to another. When temperatures increased to between two and three degrees above today's level 3.5 million years ago, sea levels rose not by 59cm but by 25 metres. The ice responded immediately to changes in temperature.

Regarding bovine methane, yes, that could be an issue too, but it's the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere that's the current concern and no-one's sure whether the tipping point is 450ppm or 550ppm where we 'tip' into an ice-age because of positive feedback looping. Cows have always been there, so why have greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere ramped up so significantly in the last few hundred years, much quicker than ever before in the last half-a-million years?

Tell you what, you prepare for 59cm by the end of this century, no prob.

Long time dead

Ah James Hansen - it must be true.  ::)  Another fact for you is that no matter what we do now it really isn't going to matter; the process if you believe has started is going to continue and therefore we are spending millions to merely stave of any temperature increase for a few years.

Tell you what - you build your ark - I'll live my life!  ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

As I said earlier in this post, the earth may heat up anyway, but do we really want to usher it in?  The conditions that produced global warming naturally before -- increased solar activity, volcanic eruptions, etc. -- are mostly absent or in reverse these days, so this is a man-made phenomenon.

And Hansen has used scientifically based fact, not just 'saying' something, so if you have data or proof to the contrary, let's hear it. 59cm will be no picnic either, and that's the best you can hope for.  The planet will survive sure, we just may not survive with it, and we won't deserve to.

Oh, and the sun's dying too, it'll burn up in 3.5 billion years or so, so feck it anyway, who gives a fcuk about the species!

Long time dead

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 17, 2007, 11:12:46 AM
As I said earlier in this post, the earth may heat up anyway, but do we really want to usher it in?  The conditions that produced global warming naturally before -- increased solar activity, volcanic eruptions, etc. -- are mostly absent or in reverse these days, so this is a man-made phenomenon.

And Hansen has used scientifically based fact, not just 'saying' something, so if you have data or proof to the contrary, let's hear it. 59cm will be no picnic either, and that's the best you can hope for.  The planet will survive sure, we just may not survive with it, and we won't deserve to.

Oh, and the sun's dying too, it'll burn up in 3.5 billion years or so, so feck it anyway, who gives a fcuk about the species!

Ah come on - let's be honest I could produce any amounts of "fact" from articles on the internet - sure it's a wonderful tool to prove or disprove anything - I'll stick to watching informative documentaries, with proper scientific argument and digesting years or research and future predictions rather than someone trying to make a name.

By the way does your concern only pander for future generations of the species or does world hunger, AIDS, famine etc - i.e. real issues in real time; not matter so much - personally I think the millions upon millions being ploughed into "saving the earth" could be better ploughed into saving the people currently on the earth.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Long time dead on July 17, 2007, 11:34:33 AM
Ah come on - let's be honest I could produce any amounts of "fact" from articles on the internet - sure it's a wonderful tool to prove or disprove anything - I'll stick to watching informative documentaries, with proper scientific argument and digesting years or research and future predictions rather than someone trying to make a name.

It's not fact from the internet, forsooth! Like I said produce evidence to the contrary. Where's he wrong? It's a fairly straight and straightforward piece of scientifically based analysis and reduction he's made there, and it's hardly to make a name for himself. That's a little bit of mud-throwing by yourself methinks to cloud the issue and muddy the waters. Tut, tut.

Quote from: Long time dead on July 17, 2007, 11:34:33 AM
By the way does your concern only pander for future generations of the species or does world hunger, AIDS, famine etc - i.e. real issues in real time; not matter so much - personally I think the millions upon millions being ploughed into "saving the earth" could be better ploughed into saving the people currently on the earth.

The point is, and if you're so interested in material "with proper scientific argument and digesting years or research and future predictions rather than someone trying to make a name" why haven't you even bothered with the Stern report? That august body of work is hardly the work of anyone that you can diss or dismiss so easily. In that he states that it will cost a fraction of the cost now to deal with these issues  when we have a choice of what it will cost if we do nothing now to deal with these issues when we have no choice, and when those issues have reached the point where they threaten not just our way of life but our very being. And justify your "millions upon millions" please, a little bit of sensationalism eh?

Edit: Stern Report Summary of Conclusions:
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/9/9/CLOSED_SHORT_executive_summary.pdf