Quarter Final Draw Structure

Started by SuperDooperCooper, July 16, 2007, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 16, 2007, 04:41:56 PM

Would it not have been better for the Laois and Monaghan to not play next weekend so that should they go through they will have 2 weeks then before the 1/4 final
I suppose the back door matches have been coming weekly now anyway and so that is part and parcel of this route.

Incorrect Fuzzman, two matches next weekend (Cork vs Louth & Galway vs Meath), and two matches the following weekend (Donegal vs Monaghan & Derry vs Laois). Therefore, if we draw the winners of Donegal/Monaghan or Derry/Laois they will only have had a week to prepare.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Real Laoislad

At moment my gut feeling on the winners are

Monaghan v Donegal         Donegal
Meath v Galway                Galway
Cork v Louth                    Cork
Laois v Derry                    Laois(after watching a tape of the yesterdays match today i just think if we can reproduce our first half display v Derry we are in with a shout)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

joemamas

I should have used this post.
Confusion reigns re draw, why does the official GAA website give the following fixtures

4th:
Bank of Ireland Football Championship Quarter Finals (2)
Connacht Champions v Qualifier
Ulster Champions v Qualifier

11th:
Munster Champions v Qualifier
Leinster Champions v Qualifier

19th:
Bank of Ireland Football Championship Semi-Final
(Connacht v Uladh)

26th:
(Laighin v Mumha)
fusion reigns

PatDaly

SDC, the e-mail you received from Hannah Billings at GAA Queries totally contradicts what is given on the www.gaa.ie website

http://www.gaa.ie/page/football_qualifier_structure.html

Quarter-Finals
The four Provincial Champions draw against the four Round Three Winners. Venues to be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

Yes I agree with the poster who indicated confusion reigns. The GAA need to announce at the start of the year how the draw will be structured. Its a joke that they appear to be changing the rules at this point in the championship.

Hound

Quote from: joemamas on July 17, 2007, 12:30:26 AM
I should have used this post.
Confusion reigns re draw, why does the official GAA website give the following fixtures

4th:
Connacht Champions v Qualifier
Ulster Champions v Qualifier

11th:
Munster Champions v Qualifier
Leinster Champions v Qualifier

19th:
(Connacht v Uladh)

26th:
(Laighin v Mumha)
fusion reigns
What's confusing about that??

Thats perfectly correct as far as I can see. Two Qfs on Aug 4, another two on Aug 11, and then the semi finals in the following weeks

The Irish Times today has confirmed what Hannah said, so it looks like its right:
"..the quarter finals will be conducted as an open draw (with the exception that provincial champions can't play the side they beat in the provincial final.."

Hardy

Yes, now I can understand the confusion. Hannah shouldn't have used the term 'open' draw. It's a draw all right, but the four provincial champions are in one pot and the four survivors of the qualifier series in the other. Apparently in previous years this wasn't the case (I don't remember) and the pairings for the quarter finals followed the annual rota for the semi-finals. Thus, if the semi-final rota was Leinster v. Munster and Ulster v. Connacht, the quarter-final pairings would have been Leinster champions vs. winner of qualifier involving defeated Munster finalists, Munster champions vs. winner of qualifier involving defeated Leinster champions, Ulster champions vs. – you get the picture.

Here's what it says on gaa.ie (I know, I know, but in the absence of any other source ...):

"All Ireland Quarter-Finals: Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 4. A draw shall be made to determine the four pairings."

[Edit] Hannah has introduced the extra restriction on the quarter-final pairings that the provincial champions cannot meet the team they beat in the provincial final. There is no indication so far as to whether Hannah just made this rule because she thinks it's a good idea. I can't find it written down anywhere on gaa.ie. But then gaa.ie thinks Antrim reached last year's quarter-finals even though I distinctly remember Meath beating them in the qualifiers.

magickingdom

the draw will take place on the 29th of july. its madness at this stage that the ai is been run like an under 16 blitz. no one seems to know whats going on.

rrhf

Herad today that Tyrone will definitely be playing the winners of Galway and Meath.  No offence Galway but we need Meath. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2007, 12:00:33 PM
Herad today that Tyrone will definitely be playing the winners of Galway and Meath.  No offence Galway but we need Meath. 

Not necessarily, rrhf: if Donegal beat Monaghan we can meet either Donegal or Meath/Galway. If Monaghan win it's Meath/Galway.

magickingdom

Fear, what is happening is that on the 29th of july the quarter-finals draw will take place: Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 4. A draw shall be made to determine the four pairings with the restriction that a provincil final cannot be repeated...

sizzler

What happens if one of the matches scheduled for the 28th July ends in a draw after extra time.

How can these teams be expected to play the Connaught or Ulster champions the following week?

paddypastit

Fear - ye can also meet Cork / Louth or Laois / Derry.  The only team that ye can't play if they win is Monaghan.

Like wise for us - Sligo, we can meet any one of the 7 teams left on the Qualifiers apart from Galway.  This, according to sligogaa.ie
which claims to be quoting from the official rule book as follows.

[Riail 120 T.O. 2007 Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 3, subject to the respective Provincial Champions not meeting the defeated Finalists from their own Province in this Round, a draw shall be made to determine the pairings.]

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on July 17, 2007, 12:00:33 PM

I heard ye are stockpiling bandages already.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on July 17, 2007, 12:11:57 PM
Fear, what is happening is that on the 29th of july the quarter-finals draw will take place: Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 4. A draw shall be made to determine the four pairings with the restriction that a provincil final cannot be repeated...

Thanks MK (and paddypastit), am fully aware that we can meet any of the other two pairings too of course, was just looking at games on played on that date alone (illogically).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sizzler on July 17, 2007, 01:45:02 PM
What happens if one of the matches scheduled for the 28th July ends in a draw after extra time.

How can these teams be expected to play the Connaught or Ulster champions the following week?

That would be what you might call a right fecking spanner in the works  ;)

Edit: though I believe there'll be extra-time in the first instance.