Are Monaghan a dirty team or are Tyrone soft ?

Started by Mike Sheehy, July 15, 2007, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

You go into the Donegal game treading that line and you'll finish with 12 men bingobus. I admire the spirit and fight of this Monaghan team, but on another day with another ref you'd not have finished with 15. You need to add a little control to that aggression.

TYRONE: Yellow cards: O Mulligan (26 mins), B Dooher (50 mins)

MONAGHAN: Yellow cards: V Corey (9 mins), S Gollogly (18 mins), G McQuaid (21 mins), D Clerkin (39 mins), E Lennon (60 mins), D Freeman (67), D Mone (70 mins).

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

It's nice to get to that time of year when the Kerry men start getting nervous!  ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 16, 2007, 09:57:36 AM
It's nice to get to that time of year when the Kerry men start getting nervous!  ;D

Yep, you can smell the fear!  ;D

bingobus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 09:52:19 AM
You go into the Donegal game treading that line and you'll finish with 12 men bingobus. I admire the spirit and fight of this Monaghan team, but on another day with another ref you'd not have finished with 15. You need to add a little control to that aggression.

MONAGHAN: Yellow cards: V Corey (9 mins), S Gollogly (18 mins), G McQuaid (21 mins), D Clerkin (39 mins), E Lennon (60 mins), D Freeman (67), D Mone (70 mins).

Unfortunatley Gaelic has got to be soft and 7 bookings isn't unusual anymore. Was any if them bookings for anything serious?
Near the end of game the players was ignoring the ref and taken quick free kicks as he fumbled for his book. Monaghan took one free from about twenty yards where it was awarded in front of their goals.

It wasn't hard hitting or dirt that was putting Tyrone down, it was Gamemanship and I'll be convinced otherwise.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 09:52:19 AM

V Corey - booked cause Mulligan was pulling his jersey and falling over...
Sean Cavanagh grabs player by jersey at neck and throws to ground and doesn't even get a ticking....

that explains the yellow card differences in my opinion...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 16, 2007, 10:18:37 AM

Sean Cavanagh grabs player by jersey at neck and throws to ground and doesn't even get a ticking....

So, minus 1 card for Monaghan and plus 1 for Tyrone explains a difference of 7 yellows versus 2, respectively. That matches your objectivity regarding Tyrone I'd say!  :P

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 10:25:43 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 16, 2007, 10:18:37 AM

So, minus 1 card for Monaghan and plus 1 for Tyrone explains a difference of 7 yellows versus 2, respectively. That matches your objectivity regarding Tyrone I'd say!  :P

More indicative of the refs performance with regard to yellow cards etc....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: bingobus on July 16, 2007, 10:13:10 AM
Unfortunatley Gaelic has got to be soft and 7 bookings isn't unusual anymore. Was any if them bookings for anything serious?
Near the end of game the players was ignoring the ref and taken quick free kicks as he fumbled for his book. Monaghan took one free from about twenty yards where it was awarded in front of their goals.

It wasn't hard hitting or dirt that was putting Tyrone down, it was Gamemanship and I'll be convinced otherwise.

What's "serious" exactly?  The ref bottled the hard calls with players already on yellow cards, giving black bookings instead. Ironically, the enforced switch of Corey to FF almost worked for you, but having to take Gollogly off didn't.  Genuinely interested in how you fare against Donegal, and genuinely believe if the over-aggression can be turned down a notch you'll represent a serious obstacle for Donegal, but you'll need 15 on the park.

Mid Mon

QuoteTYRONE: Yellow cards: O Mulligan (26 mins), B Dooher (50 mins)

yellow cards are there to be used, its a physical game, if you cant take the hits you shouldn't be there

Star Spangler

QuoteIt wasn't hard hitting or dirt that was putting Tyrone down, it was Gamemanship and I'll be convinced otherwise.

Bingobus, it's often in the eye of the beholder.  This is what Colm Keyes said in his article in today's Indo,

"Eoin Lennon and Dick Clerkin began to enjoy some dominance at midfield and Monaghan were able to vary the fouls, and those who were committing them, sufficiently enough to break Tyrone momentum and avoid numerical damage."

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mid Mon on July 16, 2007, 10:40:24 AM

yellow cards are there to be used...

Yes, and the ref didn't use them when it would have resulted in a Monaghan 2nd. You were lucky he didn't, but you may not be so lucky the next day. Take it as constructive criticism.

lynchbhoy

to answer the title of the thread
Def Monaghan have decided to play a more abrasive and 'dirtier' brand of football this season.
Tyrone were guilty of going down a tad too easily on a couple of occasions, but in spite of this
the ref certainly kept Monaghan in the game imo, with his desire to keep 15 men a side on the park, and keep the Ulster final a closer more exciting affair imo.

Def if he had done his job, Monaghan would have been beaten by a hell of a lot more, with not exciting grandstand finish that transpired yesterday.
Thats not even taking into account that Monaghan should have had a few ment sent off (though if one went, the persistent fouling etc might have stopped).

Monaghan have to play this way to maximise their big physical players and shut down opponents free flowing football. Its a game plan and it has worked v Down, Derry and they were not too far away yesterday - although as mentioned, the ref was the key to them being close to tyrone at the final whistle

Also thought the ref in the Dublin v Laois game was not great. Dublin were hard done by at times imo

Loup Bandit

I think it would be a huge injustice to say Monaghan were dirty. They played very hard and really emptied the tank but just came up a little short, on another day they could have won.
They made a lot of good catches around the middle but just couldnt convert this midfield dominance on the scoreboard.

Sean cavanagh was exceptional, but did get a fair bit of room at times. IMO he is the fulcrum of the tyrone team and if he can be thwarted your in with a decent chance. Its just having the right man to do the job e.g Liam Hinphey of Derry last year in Omagh, Nicolas Walsh of Cavan a couple of years ago in clones the first day.

magickingdom

an average monaghan team without a decent free taker (they would have won at a cantor) hit tyrone a few slaps and look what happens. tyrone scrape over the line....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magickingdom on July 16, 2007, 12:02:08 PM
an average monaghan team without a decent free taker (they would have won at a cantor) hit tyrone a few slaps and look what happens. tyrone scrape over the line....

From the impartial Munster reporter...  ;D ;D