monaghan v donegal

Started by anportmorforjfc, July 15, 2007, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Pangurban on July 15, 2007, 09:14:39 PM
Monaghan will win this fairly comfortably

Perhaps, but given that Down were still in the game with them until the last few minutes, us Donegal people will live in hope! ;)

anportmorforjfc

it depends how monaghan play. look at derry barely beat armagh and stuffed mayo. its all on the day

Maguire01

I would expect the game to be in Omagh (which i quite like as a venue). It's a nice distance from each county. I'd be happy with Cavan, although it would be a bit of an unfair trek for the Donegal folk.
I'd be relatively optimistic that Monaghan can take Donegal - I wouldn't have said that at the start of the year - i had a smal bet on Donegal to list both Ulster and All-Ireland!

The Voice Of Reason

Hopefully we can extract some revenge for our defeat to Monaghan in '95, after we had beaten the then All-Ireland champions Down in the previous round!!!  ;D

I can't remember playing Monaghan since then

Maguire01

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on July 15, 2007, 10:13:41 PM
Hopefully we can extract some revenge for our defeat to Monaghan in '95, after we had beaten the then All-Ireland champions Down in the previous round!!!  ;D

I remeber that being one rare ray of light for Monaghan in a very dark decade!

J70

Quote from: The Voice Of Reason on July 15, 2007, 10:13:41 PM

I was in Ballybofey that day. There was a huge amount of complacency in the county in the lead-up to that game - I remember my father saying that, given our history, we could be in for a rude awakening given the overall dismissive attitude towards Monaghan. From Declan Bonner's first-minute penalty miss onwards, Monaghan just seemed to be far, far hungrier, and probably should've won by more than the nine points they did. They looked a shit-hot side that day, and I was very surprised that they did basically nothing after that.

Maguire01

RTE analysts on Sunday game have called this in favour of Donegal.

J70

The last league meeting I remember was in Ballyshannon in 2003 or 2004, when Brendan Devenney single-handedly won a match during which we were second-best for most of the time. He scored three goals that day, including an injury time strike to level the game, after which John Gildea scored the winning point with the last kick.

And speaking of forwards, I wonder who McFadden will replace, if anyone? Young Murphy has apparently done very well in the last two games, as has McMenamin and Bradley. I presume Woppa will drop to the bench though.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'd be very surprised if there are 30 players on the park by the full-time whistle in this one. Depends on the referee of course, but having now had first hand experience of both teams in this Championship, should they persevere with their hitherto not-so-controlled aggression, it's a certainty I'd say  ;)

Banty and Brian Mc Iver would do well to rein it in, just a little.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 15, 2007, 11:15:35 PM
I'd be very surprised if there are 30 players on the park by the full-time whistle in this one. Depends on the referee of course, but having now had first hand experience of both teams in this Championship, should they persevere with their hitherto not-so-controlled aggression, it's a certainty I'd say  ;)

Banty and Brian Mc Iver would do well to rein it in, just a little.

Indeed. And Tyrone's appeals for Oscar Nominations in the 'Look at me, i've just been shot' category have been duly noted.

anportmorforjfc

when do we find out the venues and times for the qualifiers

Hardy

THis afternoon, they say. I think I've heard them on RTE radio sports news about 1:40 before.

Against the Breeze

This is the one game that I am looking forward to the most.  There will be some very good battles all around the field and i would think there will not be more than a point in it whatever way it goes.  I think that both teams have good plahyers in the crucial areas of the field but i think the game could be won and lost in both teams half forward lines... Hegarty could prove the undoing on Monaghan as he as probably being one of the most consistant players for Donegal over the last number of years and can do untold damage to teams if given the chance..  On either side of him you probably will have Toye and Roper.  Toye needs to play which Donegal people say he hasnt done so far.  i'm a great admier of Toye's and have watched him through schools games and right up through minors and U21's.  He is a quality player that has an abundence to offer any team he would play pn..  Roper will run forever and is the grinder of the team..On the Monaghan side you have Freeman and Golloghy.  I feel that Golloghy has alot to offer Monaghan and is a pacy and strong lad..Freeman is the leader and will work to no end occasionaly popping up with a couple of scores.  The problem I think they have is at No.11.  Paul Finlay is an immense talent although I think his best position is in Centre Field alongside Eoin Lennon.  Would it be best playing Damien Freeman at 11 or would they try Shane Smyth there for a start? I know he is a young fella with still alot to learn but he is a very good prospect!!

Al in all a great game is hopefully in waiting.

orangeman

Donegal have all the ace cards here I think - they can't lose !

Maguire01

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 15, 2007, 09:38:18 PM
I would expect the game to be in Omagh (which i quite like as a venue). It's a nice distance from each county. I'd be happy with Cavan, although it would be a bit of an unfair trek for the Donegal folk.

How right was I?  ;D