monaghan v donegal

Started by anportmorforjfc, July 15, 2007, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

It just proves yet again that the league still means very little. Donegal were flying during the league.

Tyrones own

Fantastic result lads. You'll make for stiff opposition in the quarters
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

orangeman

Donegal are still National League Champs and will have silverware for the dinner dance !

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2007, 09:27:01 PM
It just proves yet again that the league still means very little. Donegal were flying during the league.

Said at the time, that the gargantuan efforts that Donegal had made to win the NFL title would cost them in the Championship. Tyrone and Kerry have managed both in recent years, but the critical difference was that neither of us busted a gut to win the League -- it fitted in perfectly with the teams' progressions to peak shape for the Championship, but never an end in itself.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Agree wirth you there Fear - I was at the National League Final and Donegal played as if it was the Championship - and I am on record as saying that they shouldn't have beat Armagh either - they struggled against Leitrim  -

Main Street

I'd love if it was Dublin next but only if there was a fair ticket distribution and pigs might fly.

orangeman

Main Street - you will have no problems with ticket allocation even if it is Dublin - the only problem with tickets is AI Final day. And by the way, congratulations.

Main Street

Thanks,
I'll book my plane tickes so :)

FermGael

Taken from the bbc website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6920878.stm

Brian McIver has stepped down as Donegal manager after Saturday night's 2-12 to 1-7 defeat by Monaghan in the third round of All-Ireland qualifiers.
McIver told the players of his decision after the game at Healy Park.

The Tyrone man took charge in September 2005 and led Donegal to last year's All-Ireland quarter-finals where they were narrowly defeated by Cork.

His side won the National Football League this year but lost heavily to Tyrone in their Ulster SFC semi-final.

The county had high hopes of progressing from last year's appearance in the last eight but, in the end, fell well short.

McIver had formerly led Ballinderry to an All-Ireland club title in 2002 and was a surprise choice to succeed Brian McEniff as Donegal boss.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Just back from Omagh. Absolutely amazing display - in particular from our backs, our supposedly weak area at the start of the year, yet they frustrated Donegal at every move... and that's without Vinny Corey!
The only surprise at the game was the fact that Monaghan were only 3 points up at half time. Then when Donegal got the goal in the second half, i thought we'd lost it. However what we got was the best response imaginable. To hold Donegal to just 2 more points for the rest of the game was immense!
Finlay, Hanratty, Corey, Freeman, Lennon all put in amazing displays. Roll on a quarter final! Personally i'd like a go at the cheeky Dubs!

With regard to Donegal, i quite fancied them at the start of the year - actually had a few quid on them! However, i'm not quite sure how they were such favourites with the bookies for this game, After Tyrone hammered them, they just about managed to get past Leitrim before beating Westmeath - it's hardly comparable to Derry's run through the qualifiers, meeting Armagh and Mayo.

Anyway, happy days! Is a great year for Monaghan. We've beaten Down, Derry and Donegal and ran Tyrone very close. I think we can genuinely say that Monaghan are no longer in the second tier of Ulster teams!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 28, 2007, 11:34:30 PM
I think we can genuinely say that Monaghan are no longer in the second tier of Ulster teams!

Absolutely, I'd say you're right up there. Congrats.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Oh, and whilei wouldn't get this carried away just yet, it's not often you read this about Monaghan!!!

Taken from RTE.ie
Quote........as Monaghan cantered home to mark themselves out as genuine All-Ireland title contenders.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Windmill abu

Don't believe the hype, Monaghan are the same as Fermanagh, a few back door wins will help improve their self esteem. But when it comes to the business end of the championship they will be found lacking. By all means enjoy your victory, but leave it to the big boys to decide where Sam resides for the next 12 months. With any luck you will be able to see him as he travels through Monaghan town & Emyvale on his way to Aughnacloy and another 12 months with Cuthbert
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Main Street

:)
The big boys just don't look as big as they use to.