best XV in the country

Started by Rav67, July 12, 2007, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

For the championship so far James Masters would need to be on there somewhere and Aidan O'Mahony has played better this championship than Tomas O'Se, Donaghy is not near being on that team yet.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Bod Mor

The best XV in the country are usually the lads who bring SAM home on the 3rd sunday in September. Is there a greater yardstick?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 12, 2007, 10:08:40 PM
Still think Joe Higgins is the best player in Ireland in his position 8)

Better than Karl Lacey?

I don't think so! 8)

J70

Byron
Higgins  Owens   Lacey
Kernan  Gormley  Dunnion
   Cavanagh     O'Se
Dooher McDonald Galvin 
Dolan   Donaghy Cooper 

The Hill is Blue

I'm surprised that Cavanagh seems to be a unanimous choice at midfield without a mention of Ciarán Whelan – despite the fact that Whelan has come out on top on most of the occasions that they came up against each other.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

thebandit

Cluxton

Mallon  Canty      M O'Sé

Kernan  Gormley  O'Mahoney

Cavanagh     O'Se

Dooher McGuigan Doyle 

McDonnell Donaghy Cooper 

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 13, 2007, 09:03:29 AM
I'm surprised that Cavanagh seems to be a unanimous choice at midfield without a mention of Ciarán Whelan – despite the fact that Whelan has come out on top on most of the occasions that they came up against each other.
Perhaps Cav has improved since then!

If Ireland played international gaelic football, then Cavanaugh would be a regular starter - but in the half forward line.

I would have thought Paul McGrane would have to be thereabouts for midfield - though I managed to miss all Armagh's games this year so can't comment on his current form.

Tyrone Dreamer

Come on hill is blue there's no need to be mentioning Ciaran Whelan for the best team in the country. Maybe a few years a ago he had a chance but not now. If games lasted 15 minutes then he'd have a chance. I see to back up your arguements your still going back to 1 game in 2005. Whlean out caught Cavanagh that day in the 1st half fair enough. But Cavanagh scored 3 from play and when it mattered helped drive Tyrone back into the game whereas Whelan went quiet. It must also be remembered that Cavanagh was only 21/22 then and still very much developing that area of his game. He seems to have improved considerably in this region over the last few years. Whelan was at the peak of his career. As I said he did well at catching kick outs in the 1st half but where was he in the 2nd half when it mattered most?

Uladh

Quote from: thebandit on July 13, 2007, 09:59:03 AM
             Cluxton

Mallon  Canty      M O'Sé

Kernan  Gormley  O'Mahoney

Cavanagh     O'Se

Dooher McGuigan Doyle 

McDonnell Donaghy Cooper 

I'm prepared to face donwn the onslaught from my fellow armagh men and ask on what basis ak could be selected on the best xv in the country?

Hound

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 13, 2007, 10:07:08 AM
Come on hill is blue there's no need to be mentioning Ciaran Whelan for the best team in the country.
Indeed, a cardinal sin to praise Whelan on this board.

QuoteI see to back up your arguements your still going back to 1 game in 2005. Whlean out caught Cavanagh that day in the 1st half fair enough. But Cavanagh scored 3 from play and when it mattered helped drive Tyrone back into the game whereas Whelan went quiet.
No doubt Cavanagh took some good scores that day. Everyone will admit that Whelan roasted him in the first half that day, but Cavanuagh did show his quality, by I think scoring two points to keep Tyrone in it, in about the only two times he had possession in the first half. Cavanuagh was moved to half forward in the second half, and he played much better and contributed a lot more. Whelan was also by a distance the best midfielder in the replay. Cavanaugh was one of the men of the match at half forward.

QuoteAs I said he did well at catching kick outs in the 1st half but where was he in the 2nd half when it mattered most?
In the second half, you will no doubt remember that Mickey Harte played one of the best tactical cards I've ever seen. Joe McMahon was sent on Ciaran Whelan, with one objective - stop Whelan getting ball. McMahon had no interest whatsover in the ball himself - didnt even look at it. For kick outs Tyrone took the risk of putting two men on Whelan. Enda McGinley to compete for the catch and McMahon to disrupt Whelan's attempts to catch. Whelan had little help from his colleagues or management in trying to deal with this. The tactic worked superbly and hats off to Harte and Tyrone. Blaming Whelan for "going out of the game" or "disappearing" is just idiotic. But typical of the anti-Whelan crap you hear.

Tyrone Dreamer

You just explained why Whelan went out of the game and then in the next line said it was idiotic for saying he did go out of the game. Whelan is a good player but doesnt perform for long enough in most games to put him on the top 15 in the country. Joe McMahon has rarily played midfield for Tyrone but kept him quiet in the 2nd half. As I said Cavangh was still young then and has probably improved aerially since then. He was also much more influential when it mattered than Whelan.

Star Spangler

Quotedespite the fact that Whelan has come out on top on most of the occasions that they came up against each other.

:D

What games have you been watching??

AhFeckRef

Based on his two performances against Galway and Donegal, Leitrims John McKeon should be a consideration for full back!

Think this 15 is very biased towards the top 4 counties!  :)

Star Spangler

QuoteWhat height is Cavanagh roughly

6' 3"

SuperDooperCooper

Jesus, way too early for this thread. Hard to say who is in the XV until after the Quarter Finals at least.
Donaghy wouldn't even be mentioned at this stage last year. Agree with Kerry Mike that Tomas O'Se hasn't played well for a while now.
Indeed he hasn't played well since '05 (save the second half v Armagh when we saw the old Tomas).