Potential New Armagh Managers (with a bit of luck we'll need one)

Started by topgun, July 09, 2007, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Exile

pintsofguinness

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 19, 2007, 01:48:56 PM
POG, there has been constant sniping on the board here and in other places about how Joe is only in it to further his own family's interests, that he is only there to get all his sons playing, that nepotisnm rules his decision making. 

Like all people he has made mistakes and he is the one who must deal with that, but to say that Armagh underachieved because of Joe is plainly wrong.   In 2002 Armagh punched above their weight in my view.  They got some lucky breaks throughout the campaign and Kerry took their foot off the peddle in the second half of the final.  They were undoubtedly one of the most consistent teams of recent times, but we all got blinded by the single AI success and believed the media hype and our own delusions.

They could have won another AI and only for the Gormley block would have but I think they were at the highest level that they could have achieved. I don't buy into the whole bullshit that they should have won more.  They could have but over the peiod of 6 years that Joe was manager they won more than any other Armagh team ever did and frankly I think they were lucky to win one AI. 

I hope the new manager takes the players to this new level that everyone seems to think there is but I really think people are deluding themselves.  I agree that it is time for change but to lay the blame for Armagh's "under-achievement" at Joe Kernan's door is simply wrong.

BC I asked you two questions, basically wondering why you choose to have a dig at me and you didn't answer them. 
And something about me having blue and yellow glasses, what's that got to do with anything?  Take the black and amber ones off you!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Smokin Joe

If the reason often quoted on this site why Paul Grimley stepped down last year is true then how do you think he feels if he happened to read the Daily Mirror today?

Joe is apparently quoted as saying:
" I had my mind made up last year to go.  But when Paul stepped down there was nobody there and the team was still in transition".

Goin Down

Mickey Moran would go well with armagh, dont ya think? :-*
Remember This.

corn02

Thats the cheek of Joe that I did not like, would not be the first time he lied to the media.

Goats Do Shave

Big Paul & Geezer??

I'm not sure wholesale changes are required. Maybe a different decision maker at the helm...

Big Paul for the tactics & Geezer for the motivation & continued dedication??

I hope there isn't wholesale changes, as I'm not sure there is enough class replacements within our club scene that will be able to fill some of the rather large boots that are rumoured to be vacated!

Fishead_Sam

Uladh

Its been mentioned on another thread that the clubs will be able to nominate candidates... how would that work in practice and at the end of the day who makes the decisions here? Paddy og and Peadar Murray i assume?

Of the obvious candidates, i don't think John rafferty has the smarts for the job and from what i understand neither has he the respect internally. Peter McDonald has a long etablished pedigree and probably knows the talent and potential within the county better than anyone. In my opinion, the obvious combination of Grimley and McGeeney would work best. they know the setup best and probably understand the weaknesses better than anyone and as a pair would bring a lot of qualities to the table. Is there anyone else? externally, would someone like McHugh be interested?

topgun

would mchugh be good enough, 1997 was a long time, ago football has changed since his time with Cavan, do we really want someone who has never had the balls to take his own county, to come and make a f**k up here with us, id much prefer someone whos heart was in it for the right reasons from inside the county i think grimley and mcdonnell togather would be a fantastic combination, both men are very driven, with grimley havin well everyone now nos wat his importance to armagh was, and peter mcdonnell is very intelligent and meticulous in his planning and preparation and has guided errigical ciaran to an ulster final appearance and managing this years U21s to an all ireland semi. both men are fantastic trainers aswell imo its the complete package.
a prophet is not recognised by his own

bennydorano

As I've said before none of the 4 potential candidates fill me with any great confidence, the clamour for Grimley in Armagh city  is deafening, but I wouldn't be so sure, his martyrdom after he 'left' has unduly influenced some people's opinions of him.  I'd go for potential of a McDonnell/McGeeney set up as the best option, although I'm don't know how good their personal relationship is. 

brokencrossbar1

McDonnell and McGeeney obviously had a close working relationship when he was with Mullaghbawn but I don't know if they have recent contact.  Peter is a very shrewd operator and would be my first choice of them all but I would have reservations about having McGeeney in there as well.  He is very close to the current panel and sometimes that can make difficult decisions hard.  I know Donal Murtagh did it well with Cross but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

Peter McDonnell, with a good fitness coach and back room team would be the best option, keep Geezer on the panel, and if he is fit he plays, if not he can be the motivator anyway without being part of the management team.

BTW POG I am not having a dig at you individually, I just feel you have an axe to grind over the whole Stephen issue and I feel sometimes you go too far.  Yes, I have  my loyalties but I can see that Joe has done more good for Armagh than bad and many of the issues that he has received blame for are not necessarily his fault.  For instance, up to this year has Stephen had any sustained period of championship play for Armagh?  I don't know how much game time he has had but it would not be that much.

GPA not OK

None of the prospective candidates fill me with confidence either. I don't know where the notion of McGeeney's involvement has come from, but it reminds me of Anthony Daly's management of Clare. Not necessarily a good idea and probably no grounds for it either

topgun

think McGeeney should stick to playin, if fit. he would stil be too close to the players at this stage, who from outside the county would u prefer bennydorano as none of the candidates from inside the county fill u with confidence

Uladh

Sit down before you read this....

Three seperate, well connecte people have told me this very day that the county board are keen to have McAlinden back involved in some capacity

topgun

need there head tested, mcalinden wat a joke, from wat iv heard mcgeeney used to stay behind after the two brians sessions because they were not hard enough