36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2007, 05:27:18 PM
QuoteAbsolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time... 

I have no problem with personal insults but was that all you could come up with.?
im not jumping on any bandwagon here . not that youll bother but i have been saying the same thing abouty O mhoney for yeah. his shitre hawking cost mayo a very good manager in mickey moran and  maughan the way the county board we pressurized into clearing the deck for the Kilmovee Messiah whose feet of clay are now shown to the world . some manager just dont suit some team . so hold on to your JOM is god Ideal if you want, but he has made a ball of this summer the worst weve had since Pat holmes and at least he won a league title and was also rebuilding.
keep up the insults but try and say where im going wrong I too want to be saved
Well i have said on here that we need to toughen up and get more cynical as a team and you disagree with this style of football as well.  We have more experience on the sideline besides JOM, good footballing men who have won at the highest level be it club or county... Its easy to critise without having solutions... Maybe bring back Peter Forde when he is finished with Galway to give us steel but that doesnt suit you either.To say that JOM had a part in MM losing his job is total shite,but if you know something we dont then let us know. I think this Mayo team had gone to the well once too often and the well was dry. following this break away from the limelight and a break from inter county football i am very hopeful about the future and i have no doubt the right men are in charge. We could be in a lot worse positions...look at Offaly....

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: StoneWall on July 17, 2007, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 17, 2007, 10:21:46 AM
The main reason is because he is a very good passer of the ball

Kilcullen a very good passer of the ball? Were you at the Cavan match? The amount of possession he turned over when not under pressure was scandalous!

I'd be interested to see how many times you've seen him play? As has been well covered at this stage, yes he was poor against Cavan and he very uncharacteristically gave the ball away a mountain of times. As I said he was an awful lot better in Derry. The move of the match, where he gave a great diagonal ball to Hanley who in turn gave a great diagonal ball, it was the only highlight Tommy Lyons bothered to show on the Sunday game, was an example of what we can expect to see. He will get an awful lot better and his passing ability will come to the fore, but I would doubt you have seen much of him, in fact I would be certain you have never seen him at club level given your quote above. As for the person who said he isn't big enough or strong enough? At 19 that is understandable, but at the same time he is 6'1 or 6'2 and is alot more poweful than alot of backs already, the extra power will come with time. Like it or not, Kilcullen, Cunniffe, Howley are the future. After a few years trying, Howley is finally showing us what he can do, so judge Davy K after 2 games if you want!

Shrewdness

rosnarun........if you are that upset at losing John Maughan, ye are more than welcome to take him back. Please take him back, we're begging ye!!!!!!!!

Cllr Willie Power

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 17, 2007, 06:56:15 PM

As for the person who said he isn't big enough or strong enough? At 19 that is understandable, but at the same time he is 6'1 or 6'2 and is alot more poweful than alot of backs already, the extra power will come with time. Like it or not, Kilcullen, Cunniffe, Howley are the future. After a few years trying, Howley is finally showing us what he can do, so judge Davy K after 2 games if you want!

Ok, I presume that you are aiming this at me? For the record, I have seen him play at both minor and U-21 levels for Mayo and at club level as well. If you read my post again, you will see that I did say that he is still only young but that he is not the answer at the minute - who knows what the future holds. How you can say that I am writing him off after 2 games is ridiculous as I said no such thing.

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2007, 05:27:18 PM
QuoteAbsolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time... 

First of all rosnarun, the above is not a personal insult. All he is saying is that your talking a ridiculous load of shite which I am beginning to agree with.

The only personal insults I am seeing lately on any Mayo threads is your hurtful personal insults aimed at John O Mahoney.

We all understand that JOM inherited an older team and he gave his chance to the older guys and they havnt got it left in them because of too many years of trying.
We are at a stage of team building and getting beaten by Derry and Galway showed up the players more than anything else. It was a blessing in disguise because it finally allows the older players to step aside and it has allowed us to blood new players.

Even if we did beat Derry and Galway we still had no chance of going all the way so an early break is a good thing. Im happy for the players as they finally get a few months off. They hardly had any time to breath with Mayo going so far in the championship in the last few years. They deserve the break.

Going back to you constant O Mahoney bashing. Its getting boring, and its doesnt seem to be all about football either. You often refer to him as "The Blue Shirt" and make out that all his motives are politically motivated. Its obvious that by calling him that, you have some sort of chip on you shoulder about Fine Gael. (And no I dont support them either).

Give O Mahoney a chance to prove himself. He did all he could do with the current crop.

stephenite

The team, as it was since '04, were on the right side of the draw to reach two All Ireland finals. If they were on the other side of the draw in those years they would not have reached All Ireland finals.

A very good Mayo team, but not a great Mayo team and I'd imagine that if the '04/'06 team were to come up against the '96 team in their prime they would have got their holes kicked also.

What am I on about? The team over-acheived to a certain extent, there is no doubt about that, talk of O'Mahony having to walk for taking the All Ireland finalists to this level are rubbish.

We knew last year that there were huge problems at no.3 and no.6, they had not been addressed, but I don't think it's through lack of trying out different options on the managements part.

IntoDwest has the best post on this board, time for a long term rebuilding plan

Tubberman

QuoteQuote
Absolute ridiculous shite of the highest order Rosnarun. You've surpassed yourself this time... 

I have no problem with personal insults but was that all you could come up with.?
im not jumping on any bandwagon here . not that youll bother but i have been saying the same thing abouty O mhoney for yeah. his shitre hawking cost mayo a very good manager in mickey moran and  maughan the way the county board we pressurized into clearing the deck for the Kilmovee Messiah whose feet of clay are now shown to the world . some manager just dont suit some team . so hold on to your JOM is god Ideal if you want, but he has made a ball of this summer the worst weve had since Pat holmes and at least he won a league title and was also rebuilding.
keep up the insults but try and say where im going wrong I too want to be saved

I know you have been saying the same thing about O'Mahony for ages, that's one of the reasons I think your opinions are based more on his politics than his managerial record. You have been bleating on here for weeks if not months about how he's a disaster and should never have got the job. Almost all your posts included some snipe about FG as well - granted, your last post didn't, but the majority had 'blue-shirt' or 'Franco' or some other crap that has nothing to do with football.

I don't think he's God - if you look back on my posts I said some criticism is justified. Particularly in regards to leaving the experimentation until after the Galway game.
Now, there can be several theories as to why he left it so late. It could be that the election took most of his attention, and that's entirely possible.
It could also be that he knew this was the end of the road for the current team, but out of respect for the older players, he didn't just throw them on the scrap heap. He gave them their fair chance. When it was shown their day was past, he changed things.

In my opinion, O'Mahony had more or less written off this championship. It was a time to give some of the older players their final chance, and introduce new blood.
I think next year will see a much more settled team by the time the Championship comes around. As I said before, I think the right management team are in place to build the next Mayo team. You were calling for resignations after the Galway game. No matter what way you look at it, that's hardly objective. You have a chip on your shoulder about the man, and it ain't all to do with football.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Pietas

There are a couple of posters on this thread who clearly have a problem with O'Mahony's politics.

It's childish in the extreme.

They should sod off over to McHale Park.com, the discussion board founded by two Mayo journalists with an anti-O'Mahony agenda.

I couldn't care less what Party he's a member of..as long as he's able for the job in the long-term, which I believe he is.

Could we end the cheap political sniping, please?
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

mannix

Too much football played by some lads has left them dull.I am only a fan and I have had enough to do me for a while.All the losses have destroyed the drive in most of our players and its apparent that new lads and a new approach to the way we play the game is needed.Top scorers in one game not getting a look in against derry says volumes for the players will.
Naming a starting 15 for next year with cmort,dillon and andy moran as starters has us off on the wrong foot straight away,if they are not up to it this year with all the training they sure as hell will not improve that much by next year so maybe a few new lads should be tried.B moran looks like he has the goods, yet they starved him of the ball.Cmac is surely done now, he got 10 minutes when it was all over and must be disgusted.Kilcoyne and hanley can be greats if they get more vicious in their game,gardner may be tried s a forward because he has skill and is tall enough too but his defending days look over.James kilcullen should be kept at fullback,size and strenght are vital, maybe not a darren fay but still our only real option in the position.Midfield needs mcgarrity about  2 stone heavier with leg and shoulder muscle, same for harte, brady is finished at midfield, fullforward option maybe because of height and strenght and only as a target man if all else has failed or moran is hurt.Seamus o se needs to be brought in and gain weight too.The real star for Mayo will be moran at ff if he gets stronger and the team play him the ball high.Nallen is finished,heaney should be ok for another go but is surely tiring of the circus and strains, kevin oneill was an allstar in  1993 so do the math and be realistic about the answer, simply too old for another go and better off joining the exodus.All in all we had a bad year despite the league results, we won a few by a point and were perhaps believing it could be patched up but too many lads have been beaten too often and the doubts surface when it gets tough.
I thank all Mayo players for the wonderful days, tyrone 2004, dublin 2006 etc, its time to move on without some lads but those lads  would be much happier seeing a mayoman lift sam from the stand in 2009 than be on the pitch themselves after losing the final in 2008..
MAYO WILL RISE AGAIN IN A FEW YEARS, WE NEED TO SUPPORT THE PLAYERS AND BE REALISTIC IN TERMS OF EXPECTATION.

rosnarun

QuoteGive O Mahoney a chance to prove himself
QuoteO'Mahony had more or less written off this championship.
now forgive my french but this is SH1T of the highest order
O mahoney had the 'chance to prove himself ' in the championship which he saw himself as being able to write off . this is what im referring to as JOM's God Complex. he is appointed manager and then decides to 'write off ' the main competition hes supposed to be playing in?. really sounds like you are using any means to Justify the Messiah here.
Polictics has nothing to do with it other than to use as astick to beat  him with .
My Criticism of JOM goes back long before he decide to run for the Blueshits. In fact at one stage he was odd on to run for FF.
Hes the Wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time and like at end of his last tenure of mayo It looks like he going to leave the team in a very poor condition  going nowhere.
If any one can tell me how he has improved the team this year please tell me , Or how he desevres to be sacked any less than M Moran was at the end of last year im dying to know.
Losinng AIF to Kerry is not an embarresment but the manner in which we lost to derry and galway( who were then beaten by sligo FFS) and losing to donegal at any time now that real embarresment.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Pietas

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2007, 11:31:08 AM
QuoteO'Mahony had more or less written off this championship.
now forgive my french but this is SH1T of the highest order
O mahoney had the 'chance to prove himself '
In fact at one stage he was odd on to run for FF.

Rosnarun

A couple of things. If you are to persist with your short sighted criticism of O'Mahony, you might note the correct spelling of his name.

Secondly, could you refer me to the bookmaker who was offering odds on that O'Mahony would run for Fianna Fáil, or indeed any newspaper articles re same?  I would be interested in finding out who was touting him for Fianna Fáil because no-one I know ever doubted his affiliation to FG.

There must be more eejits in Mayo than I thought if someone was backing O'Mahony to run for FF so heavily that he was odds-on.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2007, 11:31:08 AM

My Criticism of JOM goes back long before he decide to run for the Blueshits. In fact at one stage he was odd on to run for FF.

Rosnarun if I ever saw politicaly motivated BULLSHIT its that. Your hatred has little to do with football, its a personal & political vendetta.

I somehow doubht he ever had any connection with FF, as his father was from West Cork & was a Collins Man & Fine Gaeler as Johnno is.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Cllr Willie Power on July 17, 2007, 08:22:06 PM
Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on July 17, 2007, 06:56:15 PM

As for the person who said he isn't big enough or strong enough? At 19 that is understandable, but at the same time he is 6'1 or 6'2 and is alot more poweful than alot of backs already, the extra power will come with time. Like it or not, Kilcullen, Cunniffe, Howley are the future. After a few years trying, Howley is finally showing us what he can do, so judge Davy K after 2 games if you want!

Ok, I presume that you are aiming this at me? For the record, I have seen him play at both minor and U-21 levels for Mayo and at club level as well. If you read my post again, you will see that I did say that he is still only young but that he is not the answer at the minute - who knows what the future holds. How you can say that I am writing him off after 2 games is ridiculous as I said no such thing.

Fair enough Willie, maybe I interpreted your comment wrongly. I just disagree a little, I thought he was worth a look this year, and physically he wasn't really found out, it was his turnover of possession against Cavan that was his biggest problem. Anyway, I think he is definitely the answer for the future, he has a good direct style that is really needed if we are to change our style of play from the short-passing shite.

As for this political talk lads (well one person really), how long are we saying this not the forum for it. True, Johnno had a bad first year in charge, I think we all expected alot more and yes most Mayo fans will cut him a bit more slack because I think he has earned that with his track record. He is the right man for the job, he will get it right, the only thing we learned this year and I think it dawned on him up in Derry is that the job is alot bigger than he first thought. I would agree with McStay, it's not just the older lads that need to go, some of the younger ones have already played so much football and have been found wanting when they going got tough. 2 exceptions though from the last game, Heaney and T Mort definitely still have alot to offer, whether the likes of Heaney wants to offer any more is another thing.

intoDwest

I'm not Rosnarun biggest fan (no offence Ros)  but Ill back him up on this point. Sam long before you started posting on this board Ros made it clear about his thoughts on JOM as a manager for mayo. This was before he was nominated for election as a FG candidate. I remember debates over about maughan and calling for JOM myself to be appointed as manager and Ros was consistent all the way through that he did not want him there. I don't think it was politically motivated back then and i don't think it is now. All the politics is now is another stick beat him with. You know my views on JOM and the election but I dont want to go back into that.

rosnarun

thank you into the west its good to know some one actually reads the post before replying.

believe it or not the Bueshit thing was a typo . one im proud of now though.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere