Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Bogball XV

Quote from: cmarty on July 11, 2007, 08:39:17 AM.  Starting with their full forward line i dont know what all the hype about Pady Bradley is, thought he only played ok, scored plenty of frees but generally didnt show well for the wall.  That said Derry will certainly be expecting a lot more off him Saturday, with Muldoon back Bradley wont have to work for as much ball as he will be fed it directly from Muldoon.  Howley is the man for Bradley with J Kilcullen going back on Muldoon.
Agreed Bradley had a quiet game from play but he has played very little football this year (prob about 6 games - club and county) between injury and suspension, believe me when he is on form he's very hard to stop, hopefully he'll be fully matchfit by Saturday.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 11, 2007, 10:05:51 AMDerry produced this performance out of pride at all the abuse they have been taking after 2 shocking performances against Monaghan/Antrim and could possibly like last year fold as they did after beating Tyrone...
Indeed that's the big worry, hopefully some of the lads who regularly check out this board will print off these criticisms and bring them to training with them tonight.
Personally, I don't believe this team are good enough for two big performances in a row ;) ;)

rosnarun

have to agree with brady @fullback . Bradley will do far more damage from frees than he ever would from play. Shame higgins is injured as he is the type of annoying Cnut  bradley would hate. always in his face and doest foul too much.

But there is something to be said for the 'horses for courses' in this yers all Ireland final we should play D brady on donaghy from the start to give us some start and move him when he gets booked . or is that recurring nightmare not on till next year again,

BTW was watching that game last night armagh look buggered some of their new guys keenan ect looked very poor and a lot of them look very over the hill a half forward line of P mckeever and Martin orourke says it all really neither could get near the team when armagh were going well . they should still have won mind
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

cmarty

DUBSFORSAM1

Comment about Bradley wasnt my view on him at full fitness, well aware of his ability, more of what I seen in that game.  If hes 60/70 then, were looking at 70/80 against us..not many players would even be considered at that level of fitness so says a lot about him, but aside from his frees he didnt do much to impress.

Your point on the derry half forward line, when you playing against a team like armagh where they bring there half forward line so far back, your own half forwards are forced to defend.  I thought they did well on Sunday, every breaking ball they were on top of it..McCrane & Tomer made very few clean catches, they were under constant pressure from the derry boys and any time they tried to break forward they ran into the half forward line defending.

DUBSFORSAM1

Cmarty

Bradley didn't do that well but when he is playing full forward (not his normal position) and without Muldoon and being man marked by Andy Mallon it is a tough ask especially when apart from the first 20 mins the ball wasn't being played in quickly...he still kicked 5 points and had another couple of close wides...

As for the half forward line - most Derry fans would agree that they won't hurt the opposition....Mark Lynch I didn't notice, Gilligan taken off after 30 mins or so....to my mind if you have a half forward line that aren't going to hurt the opposition then that is bad......I am basing this on seeing Derry play a lot over the last 4/5 years and not just on one match......Armagh have the same problem in that their half forwards aren't going to score much and there was a general lack of pace about both sets...

tbrick18

The derry half forward line was actually better than you might think....Paul Murphy, Mark Lynch and Barry McGoldrick....all scored from play. Indeed McGoldrick scroed point of the game from way out on the wing. Paul Murphy wins loads of breaks, is strong, defends, attacks and scores from distance. Lynch is fantastic when he runs at defence, but admittedly I thought he didnt have his best game against Armagh.

Now Gilligan usually plays centre half, but was injured from the start and switched with Lynch into corner forward and that is why he came off. He was actually doin ok until the injury forced him to withdraw.

Remember now....all three half forwards scored from play against ARMAGH.

I think there are plenty of teams in the country who would like a half forward line like that.

Real Talk

Folks

P Bradley was marked by Enda McNulty ..... name me one forward in Ireland who has performed well against him over the last 7/8 years.  I would worry more about the pace of the Mayo forward line.   I think it will be a battle beween the 2 forward lines with Mayo looking the best bet at this stage.

oakleaf stateside

derry do this every year they beat a big name team win the next 2/3 games and then fall short. so watch out mayo wer coming
Dont Do It

orangeman

Paddy should play the same team as last week - they're good enough and are hungry enough, but I think Mayo might have a wee bit too much class all over the pitch.

marty88

Paddy bradley's shite, dont even bother marking him lads. We're a fella wilkinson, he's a top top player, thats who you want to be marking.

Seriously, is the game on setanta??
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

oakleaf93

Marty88 is clearly takin the piss or is from Tyrone. Wilkinson has been awful all year and its a mystery how the lad has made the panel never mind starting the first 2 games. All being well Gilligan will be fit enough to start if not Barry McGoldricks performance against Armagh means hes derserving of th spot. Regarding the outcome of sats game i feel Derry's consistency or lack of it is the key issue. A hungry derry team turn up and we have a chance, otherwise an embarrassing hammering awaits us at home

Barney

Morning all.

Any team named last night?

Who is reffing the game?

mannix

Heard nothing yet.I cannot go now and hate to have to listen on the radio but thats the way.My only change would be james kilcullen at fullback moving omalley to the corner and leave aiden higgins out until peadar gardiner shows that he is in trouble with either discipline or too much attacking and leaving room for counter attacks by derry.They will definetly drop the ball in for as long as they think it will work, why do we not do the same.Aim for Barry moran and let him break it or become a hero.I would not start d brady at midfield but would use him there for a half and let him at it or else into the fullback line were it in big trouble.I will post no more on this game but predict a Mayo win.

Mayo  1  14
Derry  2  07

The mayo goal by andy moran, what do you think of that crystal ball.

Bogball XV

Quote from: marty88 on July 12, 2007, 12:47:06 AM
Paddy bradley's shite, dont even bother marking him lads. We're a fella wilkinson, he's a top top player, thats who you want to be marking.

Seriously, is the game on setanta??
Paddy's not that bad, but you shouldn't be giving the game away Marty, ffs, now they know about our secret weapon, what're we going to do?? 
If Derry lose on Saturday perhaps you'd like to shoulder some of the responsibility and go away and have a long hard look at yourself.

tbrick18

Any word on the Derry team yet?
I read somewhere that Kevin McGuckain still wont be fit....if he isnt fit why has be been named in the subs for all games so far?