Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

intoDwest

If we play Heany at 6 and J. Killcullen at 3 we should be alright. If Killcullen is getting done for pace then just switch him with Heaney. I'm surprised that J. Killcullen has not been tried out at 6 before, he has the size and the aggression for the position.

For the next day I'd go something like this.

Clarke (O'Malley if fit)
L. O'Malley                     J. Killcullen                     Higgins
Howley                           Heaney                         T. Mort
                         McGarity       Harte
BJP                              Hanley                          Dillon
A. Moran                      B Moran                        C. Mort.

D. Brady hasn't the pace to start, but is a good option to bring on to "soften up" a few fellows if needed. Ideally I'd like to see Harte as a half forward and if the B Moran experiment is not working then I would move him to midfield  and get Harte to replace BJP.

If only we had a young Peter Ford or Kevin Cahill to call on.

Bogball XV

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 10, 2007, 10:47:03 AM
still wouldn't mind have him playing for us rosnarun he is a savage footballer i allways felt he was curtailed  when playing in the corner or fullback
We used to think that too, but he's been tried at CHB quite a few times and tbh the best I've seen him play in years was last Sunday on McDonnell - he was back to his old best, granted this season is the first injury free season he's had in a few years and he's still only about 29/30 max.  I can't see him playing anywhere but the corner this weekend.

AbbeySider

Quote from: intoDwest on July 10, 2007, 11:44:53 AM

McGarity       Harte

intoDwest,
Whatever about Brady, McGarity is defiantly not fit to start.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 10, 2007, 02:37:40 PM
Quote from: intoDwest on July 10, 2007, 11:44:53 AM

McGarity       Harte

intoDwest,
Whatever about Brady, McGarity is defiantly not fit to start.

McGarity defo won't be starting at midfield. I'd say it will be Brady & Harte, or Heaney & Harte

Barney

Match defo not on TV. Delighed about that - forget the lazy option. Jump in your cars. The lads need you.

Fishead_Sam

Mise Fresin Barney, if its not on tv, we can get more heads up there, its short notice for a hard place to get to from Mayo, but lads it has to be done, Im sure there will be alot of people willing to travel in a months time if we still in it

Bogball XV

I'm boycotting the Cork v Tipp game on TV in protest (I've one of those TAM rating devices in the house so it'll make a difference!!).  The Derry v Armagh game is on setanta this evening if you want to see what you're up against.

mannix

What time would i need to leave limerick city at to be in derry for 2 30?

blast05

QuoteMatch defo not on TV. Delighed about that

Thats a fair dose of shite in all fairness Barney. What about the people that have to work a half day Saturday, or someone who has committed to giving freely of their time helping with the festival in Ballina on Saturday or even my 100 year old grandmother who loves nothing more than watching Mayo on TV   >:(

intoDwest

Is that confirmed that the match is not on TV? I hope it is otherwise I'm looking at a 515km round trip and that istoo far to go on a Saturday I'm afraid, the first Championship match in years I'll be missing!!

Barney

Maybe its a bit harsh lads, especially for staunch supporters like yourselves, and I do think the matches should be at neutral venues to maximise the crowd i.e. Cavan and Derry matchs in Sligo/Carrick. Its a bitch of a trek and I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mannix on July 10, 2007, 03:38:10 PM
What time would i need to leave limerick city at to be in derry for 2 30?
It's about 3 1/2 hours from Galway City to Derry City, so work it out from there.

larry buaile

Not a bad team intothewest, although as said here, i doubt Ronan McG will start. 
Also, I wonder would it be worth chancing Peadar G at half forward instead of Billy Bob Padden?

OirthearMhaigheo

True enough, there are plenty of people that just can't make the game on Sat, they will miss out alright with it not being on the tv. However, every cloud and all that.....there is no getting away from the fact that more Mayo people will now travel as there is no other option, and every single person will be needed as by all accounts this is a tough place to get a result from. So hop in your cars lads and lassies and lets head up in droves, the boys will need our support big time up there!

Cllr Willie Power

Ok, tough game on Saturday and probably the toughest draw we could have got.

The negatives from Saturday night were the big problems which still exist in the defence, particularly the full back line. Suffice to say they've been well covered so there's no point in going over that ground again. Out of the 6 backs that started only T Mortimer impressed and even then he made some basic handling errors that he's becoming accustomed to. The experiment worked though as he showed a toughness and aggression that had been lacking in it's three previous office holders.

Midfield had its problems as well. McCabe got well on top for a period and could have caused us more problems had not not ran out of steam and moved in FF. McGarritty won't start on Saturday as he looked miles off the pace but it was great to see him back and the game will have brought him on no end, not a bad sub to have coming in.

The big plus was the forward division. Hanley has the potential (no point in judging the lad on one game) to be exactly what we need - a big, strong footballer who is able to win possession and run at defences. The Barry Moran experiment worked well too. He won a lot of ball, broke ball and generally caused mayhem in there. C Mort and Andy Moran were feeding well off him and if Andy had his shooting boots on could have finished with 1-4 or 1-5 to his name (how did he miss that goal???).

On to the Derry game on Saturday albeit nervously. If our defence is as bad again then our summer is over but if we can tighten up a bit and the forwards are on form then we should progress. As for changes, well you would have to think that there will be changes at 2 and 3 but who will fill them is anyones guess. They may operate a system like they did against Kerry in the League where they doubled up on the big lad. Probably our best option. Whether you like it or lump it Gardiner will start so it remains to be seen whether Heaney will drop back to 6 or not when Harte returns.

Probably just one change in the forwards. It has to be the end for BJP. He's got more chances in more positions than anyone else and has been consistanly poor in them all. However, he seems to have a fan club on this board so I'll probably be ran for that comment. I'd have Campbell on there, impressed me in the League and don't know why he lost his place.

So all in all, a bit of defensive tweaking and hoping we can up our peformance I can see victory by a small margin for us. It'll be tight though...

P.S. Like any Mayo match that is not covered by RTE/TG4/Setanta, it is a pity about the match not being on telly. Not everyone can always make the games and it's a shame that they will miss out. It is the tie of the round so I'm surprised they are not showing it. Plus, no reason why they couldn't show 2 qualifiers on a Saturday....