Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Fishead_Sam

Hi lads a tough one, up in Derry, looking forward to it, never in Derry City before. Fair play to the Oakleaf in their victory over Armagh.

clarshack

derry will take mayo if it is played in that hellhole fortress celtic park. was only it once back in 92 and will never set foot in it again. hope  they decide the venue is not up to scratch and play it somewhere like breffni - that is mayos only chance.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: clarshack on July 08, 2007, 06:08:13 PM
derry will take mayo if it is played in that hellhole fortress celtic park. was only it once back in 92 and will never set foot in it again. hope  they decide the venue is not up to scratch and play it somewhere like breffni - that is mayos only chance.

Or Dr.Hyde   ;D

I wouldn't say thats Mayos only chance, we no gaw-daws either.

Lads its this very moment that the Green & Red CarniVal needs to organise the troops & bring in the Legions of Green & Red up North and show them the power of the Mayo support.

mannix

What time and when is it on,i  would  go.Armagh gone now and derry are a good enough side but Mayo would be better.D Brady was nuts when called ashore, exactly what we need, lads tearing to play.By the way Fishead sam has it right, we are no daws and if we bring enough support we can beat derry and have a good night up north.

dodo

Big big win for Derry today against the mighty Armagh. Mayo got past Cavan conseeding 3 goals and with a dodgy defence will not relish the prospect of high ball coming into Muldoon and buddies in the Derry full line.
Will be very interesting to see the Mayo team selection for this. Liam O'Malley is no full back, refusing to attack high ball coming in and allowing Sean Brady, the Cavan FF, win every ball coming in. Aidan Higgins was poor on saturday. Kilcullen at CB ? Didn't impress. Trevor Mortimer did very well at 7. Can Gardiner defend at all ? Too early for McGarrity for a full 70 minutes.
Would expect a tight match and hopefully the home fixture for Derry will not be the difference.  

joemamas

Mayo have nobody to blame for any tough draw or trip, but themselves after their performance against Galway. Sligo's win today, shows that due to our lack of physicality v galway, we were beaten out the gate.

there are no easy games left for Mayo, as if they win next week, will play either Cork, Galway, Laois(Dublin) and Monaghan (Tyrone) a week from Sunday.

Were there any positives from a mayo standpoint yesterday, The manner in which they won can be alll that bad, as Cavan Levelled the game with 20 mins to go.  Will Macdonald be able to play any part, what solutions do we have for Backs, Howley has not impressed me at all, seems we are crying out for a full-back line.

Fishead_Sam

I think we have very big defensive worries at the moment, neither David Kilcullen or Liam O'Malley where at the races the last day, Higgins was very average & we didn't see much of Gardiner because he was taken off early, is Pat Harte back from suspecion yet because that opens up the option of having him at midfield, then alowing Heaney to drop back & hopefully James Kilcullen might be given another chance.

Barney

Now we're in the manure business!! Hopefully its not time to get off the pot yet though.

I don't think we could have asked for a harder draw but it is what we needed. Lose and there is no point in going further. Win and things could open up. The teams left are quite average except for Kerry, Tyrone, Cork and Dublin who look streets ahead of everyone else.

The big worry is the full-back line and unless immediate action is take (and it will be of the band-aid variety) a thrashing could be on the cards especially if it is Muldoon and Bradley up front. Keith Higgins is a huge loss, and Liam O'Malley is not up to it at this level. After some dodgy league performances, a roasting against Galway, he got the mother and father of the run-around against Cavan.The only option appears to be to put Heaney at the edge of the square. Jimmy Nallen may be an option as is Kilcullen. We have very few options though. Felt sorry for David Kilcullen on Saturday everything seemed to go wrong for him.

The only reason Gardiner was taken off was because he was borderline being sent off and that is because he cannot tackle. I don't expect him to start the next day.

Reckon the team will be along these lines:

Clarke
O'Malley
Heaney
Howley
Mortimer
Cunniffe
Kilcullen
Brady
Nallen
Harte
Hanley
Dillon
Mort
Moran B
Moran A

As Fishhead Sam said its time for the Mayo fans to stand up and be counted and turn out in numbers and support the lads. They need it now more than ever.

GalwaySham

QuoteReckon the team will be along these lines:

Clarke
O'Malley
Heaney
Howley
Mortimer
Cunniffe
Kilcullen
Brady
Nallen
Harte
Hanley
Dillon
Mort
Moran B
Moran A

Who the hell is cunniffe?

Loup Bandit

Quote from: clarshack on July 08, 2007, 06:08:13 PM

How can you say that celticpark is not up to scratch? it is a fine venue. Home draw is a BIG help to derry. im looking forward to the game. And with Muldoon to comebackafter a bout off flu id be hopeful of getting the win. Lockhart will hopefully marshall conor mortimer.

StoneWall

Quote from: GalwaySham on July 09, 2007, 09:02:49 AM
Who the hell is cunniffe?

Tom Cunniffe, he was centre back on the U-21 team this year and last year. He came on the last day.

Derry away is the toughest draw we could have got but just the type of test we need at this stage. I'd be very worried about our full back line, Trevor Howley was the only one to hold his own the last day. Need Higgins back quick. Derry look to have a lively number 13 and if you add in Muldoon and Bradley then we are in trouble.

Based on the last day Kilcullen is not the answer at centre back. He gave away an awful lot of possession the last day which you can't do at this level.

I have a wedding on Saturday so I wonder what are the chances of it being shown on TV or will it be the Cork V Tipp game that they show?

blast05

QuoteI have a wedding on Saturday so I wonder what are the chances of it being shown on TV or will it be the Cork V Tipp game that they show?

Well they showed a hurling qualifier last Saturday so presumably its the turn of a football qualifier and Derry v Mayo is the obvious choice. At least heres hoping cos i have spent a couple of hours thinking of the logistics of how i can fit that into next weekend but haven't come up with an answer yet  :(

rosnarun

I think like last year the Full back line is paying the price of some of the problems at midfield. Cavan cleaned mayo at midfield yesterday hand had a choioce of forwrds to pass to  so in that regard mayo did quiet well only to concede 10 scores as oppsed to scoring 20 themselves. defensively we were non existant at 6,8,9 this makes it very tough to heap toomuch blame on the full back line. though what Good arussell and donaghy would hacve done with sevice fro ose osullivan and brosnan i shudder to think. and thats the stadards we have to measure ourselves against.
Mulddon is a scary prospect in full full though he does seem to blow abit hot and cold
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bogball XV

It'd better be on tv, cos I don't think I'll be allowed up for it.  But I can't see any other match having the same appeal - unless RTE decide that it'd be easier/cheaper to take an outside broadcast unit to Newbridge or Navan than Celtic Park (well they're still trying to cope with the loss of revenue that Mayo's favourite daughter cost them) ;)