Paddy Heaney lambastes sneaky Kerry

Started by ONeill, July 03, 2007, 10:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

Looks liike Jack is helping to sell newspapers as well

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou know, I was about to write yesterday that every time Mike posts something, he digs a bigger hole. I don't think I need to say it now

Now, tell us about that Monaghan match that sticks in your mind that led to the hand-pass ruling.

1979 semifinal
Kerry 5-14 Monaghan 0-7

The game descended into farce at one stage with 2 or 3 Kerry players lining up to handpass the ball into the net. One superb save by the Monaghan goalkeeper also sticks in the mind. It definitely was not an advertisment for the game but people chose to focus on the handpass as the probem rather than the obvious gulf in fitness between the two sides. Dont remember when they eventually banned the handpassed goal but I'm guessing it was in 1981 as I recall handpassed goals in the 1980 classic v Offaly but I believe all goals were kicked in the 1981 semifinal including the one by the small Mayo cornerforward with the moustache (McCabe ??) who celebrated in great style.

Anyway, whatever date they banned it, this game was always cited as an example of the "abuse" of the handpass which led to the rule change.

Of course, ye were still shite and didnt improve much.So, instead, ye resorted to accusing Ger Power of thuggery in 1986 when he dispossed a man twice his size (Plunkett Donaghy) to set up a crucial goal. There was always some excuse....

SuperDooperCooper

I think the Monaghan match Mikey Sheehy is talking about was the All-Irelkand semi final in 1979 which Kerry won at a canter like last years QF really.
Paddy 'who ever the hell he is' Heaney is entitled to his view but under established Kerry norms Pat Spilllane's view counts for more 'cos he won 9 all-irelands ;)

Mike Sheehy

Paddy Heaney reflecting the views of Nordies

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Looks more like Sean Walsh to me. For all the nonsense in the article O' Neil posted the point about Walsh was right, his comments in 2004 were an embarrasment to Kerry GAA. What a contrast to the great sporting comments from Ger O'Keefe after the 2005 final.
Anyway its a poor show by O' Connor to have a go at us Tyronies given it was one of our own who pretty much single handedly won Sam for his team last summer :P

Pietas

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 05, 2007, 11:00:17 PM
QuoteYou know, I was about to write yesterday that every time Mike posts something, he digs a bigger hole. I don't think I need to say it now

Now, tell us about that Monaghan match that sticks in your mind that led to the hand-pass ruling.

1979 semifinal
Kerry 5-14 Monaghan 0-7

The game descended into farce at one stage with 2 or 3 Kerry players lining up to handpass the ball into the net. One superb save by the Monaghan goalkeeper also sticks in the mind. It definitely was not an advertisment for the game but people chose to focus on the handpass as the probem rather than the obvious gulf in fitness between the two sides. Dont remember when they eventually banned the handpassed goal but I'm guessing it was in 1981 as I recall handpassed goals in the 1980 classic v Offaly but I believe all goals were kicked in the 1981 semifinal including the one by the small Mayo cornerforward with the moustache (McCabe ??) who celebrated in great style.

Anyway, whatever date they banned it, this game was always cited as an example of the "abuse" of the handpass which led to the rule change.

Of course, ye were still shite and didnt improve much.So, instead, ye resorted to accusing Ger Power of thuggery in 1986 when he dispossed a man twice his size (Plunkett Donaghy) to set up a crucial goal. There was always some excuse....

Eugene McHale.  He has since shaved the moustache off.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteLooks more like Sean Walsh to me. For all the nonsense in the article O' Neil posted the point about Walsh was right, his comments in 2004 were an embarrasment to Kerry GAA. What a contrast to the great sporting comments from Ger O'Keefe after the 2005 final.

I noticed that O'Neill hasn't responded despite supplying him with the facts he asked about so perhaps you might answer a question for me.

Do you not agree that the handpass rule was changed specifically to hamper one team (Kerry) and that this makes any gripes by Sean Walsh seem minor ? After all, despite the hullabaloo, no rule changes have been introduced in the aftermath of Tyrones negative tactics in 2003.

ONeill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 06, 2007, 07:14:58 PM
QuoteLooks more like Sean Walsh to me. For all the nonsense in the article O' Neil posted the point about Walsh was right, his comments in 2004 were an embarrasment to Kerry GAA. What a contrast to the great sporting comments from Ger O'Keefe after the 2005 final.

I noticed that O'Neill hasn't responded despite supplying him with the facts he asked about so perhaps you might answer a question for me.

Do you not agree that the handpass rule was changed specifically to hamper one team (Kerry) and that this makes any gripes by Sean Walsh seem minor ? After all, despite the hullabaloo, no rule changes have been introduced in the aftermath of Tyrones negative tactics in 2003.

Eh? I don't remember you asking a question.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.